X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Why not? And no, "Just because, it's Trump's fault" is not an answer ...

Drs. Fauci and Birx disagree with your assessment, as do a growing majority of Americans - with the most movement coming from Dems and independents. How does that make you feel?

Moreover, how bad is it going to be for you and those like you come November 2020 when President Trump gets re-elected? To be followed by Pence 2024 and 2028, before we start going through the Trump kids (Don Jr. and Eric) for the middle years of the century? First woman President (Ivanka), the first Jewish President (Jared or Ivanka) … and then we finish it all off with Baron?

I've got your legacy, right here buddy!!! <==== winky means I'm kidding. Kinda.

Hey Ref - saw you enjoyed the Python/Bee bit. No need to hide it from disapproving prudes.
    Well, I had made a mistake on the post so I deleted it, but yeah, not so much the BEE part, mind ya (you think I'm giving you that ) but, the movie was just lights on then, and is now....was just in high school when it came out. Here's my fav scenes (among many) 'already got one'..sound familiar?? 'Ref wasn't born yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSo0duY7-9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-01-2020, 08:02 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Apparently a slow news day on that front, honestly could have done without it today, but whenever you guys don't get to see Drs. Fauci and Birx, you start sowing conspiracy theories. Hey, who knew Dr. Fauci was a basketball star in his younger days?
      How is it a conspiracy that I am annoyed they wasted my time?
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        How is it a conspiracy that I am annoyed they wasted my time?
        My apologies - in reading it back, I should have worded it more carefully. It was a collective "you", not meant to be a Darius-specific "you". Just a reference to the entertaining but now abandoned line of thought which had Drs. Fauci and Birx disagreeing with President Trump, and their infrequent absences then attributed to the President supposedly "silencing" their dissent. From my subsequent posts, I think we aren't far off in how we saw today's briefing - other than I disagree about the "distraction" bit. My apologies though for the clumsy "you" thingie though, sincerely.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Well, I had made a mistake on the post so I deleted it, but yeah, not so much the BEE part, mind ya (you think I'm giving you that ) but, the movie was just lights on then, and is now....was just in high school when it came out. Here's my fav scenes (among many) 'already got one'..sound familiar?? 'Ref wasn't born yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSo0duY7-9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
        Great stuff, 'Ref. Enjoyed both thoroughly. Be honest, you see Trump as King Arthur here, right?

You raised a question earlier with e.cat about why things are so bad in NYC in comparison with other places. I came across this article from Michael Goodwin of the Post on the apparent long-standing feud between Gov. Cuomo and Mayor DeBlasio, of which I was totally unaware (not being a New Yorker will do that). I guess they don't exchange Christmas cards, but one would think Goodwin's point - drop the old feud, work together for the good of all - makes common sense anywhere. Check it out:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/cuomo-...of-ny-goodwin/

Not claiming it's definitive - after all, it's an opinion piece, so it's just that, an opinion - but it does offer some insight that I wasn't previously aware of, and could well be part of the problem.

Good night all!!
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka … "Lighten up, Francis."

I'd explain it to you ("Not even original" - no crap, really?!?) but as everyone knows, satire gets better when you have to sit down and explain it, step by step. Here's a hint, Psycho - it's aimed at the Chinese Communists - not at "death being amusing". Figure it out from there, smart-*****. Two questions: one, what part of it offended you, and two, are you the world's oldest snowflake??

At least Darius "gets it". Bad enough we missed out on St. Patrick's Day and a lot of Easter festivities - probably less of an issue for the secular sorts on this board - but now we can't even enjoy April Fool's. Psycho, do me a favor, and let us know when we get to an event or holiday when we can try to have a little fun, OK? Maybe Eli Yale's birthday, coming up this very Sunday??

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...nnection-57228
          Your charm just keeps shining through. I feel sorry for those that know you personally.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Bad enough we missed out on St. Patrick's Day and a lot of Easter festivities - probably less of an issue for the secular sorts on this board - but now we can't even enjoy April Fool's.
            Still doing satire, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Still doing satire, eh.
              He's wrong, we're enjoying a few of them in this thread.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                He's wrong, we're enjoying a few of them in this thread.
                It’s a party in here!
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

By
                  Aaron Blake and
                  JM Rieger
                  April 1, 2020 at 9:54 a.m. EDT
                  https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...g-coronavirus/

From Dr. de Blasio

"The mayor said Feb. 26 of the city’s 1,200 hospital beds: “We’ve got a long time to ramp up if we ever had anything like that [kind of crisis]. So, the capacity we have right now is outstanding given the challenge we’re facing right now.”
                  He added: “We can really keep this thing contained.”
                  In the weeks in between, de Blasio repeatedly said the coronavirus was transmitted through prolonged, close exposure and played down the idea that it could travel via casual encounters or touching surfaces that an infected person had touched ...
                  “Occasional contact, glancing contact, temporary contact does not, from everything we know about coronavirus, lead to transmission,” he said March 3. “It needs to be prolonged, you know -- if not intimate, at least prolonged, constant contact.”
                  He added March 8: “Certainly, on most surfaces like metal, plastic -- you know, a desk, a kitchen counter, a subway pole, it’s only a matter of minutes before the disease dies, the virus dies in the open air.”

On March 9, he suggested that transmission was likely to take place only if people were engaged in lengthy contact involving a “direct hit."
                  “Two people deep in conversation for a half-hour, animated conversation,” de Blasio said. “The best thinking of the medical personnel is that, in animated conversation, sometimes people project some saliva and that may have been the contact. Obviously, another option is someone sneezed or coughed, like looking right at the person they were deep in conversation with."
                  He added: “So, that’s the evolution -- that is still close proximity, and you need that direct hit, with the exception, again, of right to the hand, right to the face, in fast proximity. Because otherwise the virus just wouldn’t live that long.”
                  He said people in crowded areas shouldn’t worry.
                  “It’s not people in the stadium, it’s not people in the big open area or a conference and all,” de Blasio said. “It’s people close up to each other, deeply engaging each other to the point that the inadvertent spitting that comes with a conversation sometimes, or a sneeze or a cough, directly goes at the other person in close proximity.”

A spokesman for de Blasio, Freddi Goldstein, defended de Blasio’s commentary on the coronavirus.
                  “It’s easy to sit on the sidelines and have an opinion,” Goldstein said. "The mayor carries the responsibility of 8.6 million New Yorkers. He must think about their safety, their livelihood, their education. Every decision he has made has been deliberate and thoughtful. That’s what you need in a crisis.”

De Blasio on March 9 also downplayed the option of closing schools, saying: “Is it anywhere near to where we are now? No.”
                  Six days later, he announced that the largest school district in the country would close.
                  The next day, he went to the gym mere hours before such facilities in the city would be shut down, drawing a backlash even from his own former aides.
                  On Sunday, de Blasio reflected on the situation. “This is just about how we save lives going forward,” he said. “This was a very different world just a short time ago.”
                  Last edited by Dutchman; 04-02-2020, 05:19 AM.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Read what happened in Boston at the Biogen Conference.
                    After Spreading Coronavirus, Boston Biogen Meeting Serves as Stark Warning
                    https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...rning/2089438/

Hundreds of attendees were immediately tested and many became seriously ill immediately at and after the conference. It also helped to spread the virus.
                    "An additional 12 people who have tested positive for the virus outside Massachusetts have been linked to the Feb. 26-27 meeting, including five in North Carolina, two in Indiana, and one each in New Jersey, Tennessee, and Washington, D.C., officials said. Two tested positive in Europe, Biogen spokesman David Caouette said Wednesday."

"The Biogen cluster underscores the danger in continuing to host business gatherings as the virus, which has sickened tens of thousands of people since emerging in China in December, spreads, said Marc Lipsitch, a Harvard University infectious disease epidemiologist."

By March 3

State health officials say the company notified them of the potential outbreak March 3 and that by March 6 they had publicly confirmed the cases as the type of coronavirus that causes the disease COVID-19.

At this point, they were testing hundreds of employees and ultimately shut down the whole company of 7,000.

de Blasio and his health commissioner continued to downplay the threat after March 6. There was little in the local NYC news coverage in NYC from February 26-29 about the Wuhan virus. Penn Station was packed with commuters coughing and sneezing on each other on the 26th and the 29th. The broadway play "Hamilton" on the 29th was a complete sellout and 1200 people were packed like sardines coughing on each other. 8th avenue (old garment district) was packed with construction traffic. The Museum of Art was packed with students on the 29th with busses from the suburbs of NYC and they were coughing.

Meanwhile, the alarm had sounded in Boston and its health care systems were mobilizing.

New York City is a mess, and they own it. They took too long to respond.
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 04-02-2020, 05:56 AM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

Hundreds of attendees were immediately tested and many became seriously ill immediately at and after the conference. It also helped to spread the virus.
                      "An additional 12 people who have tested positive for the virus outside Massachusetts have been linked to the Feb. 26-27 meeting, including five in North Carolina, two in Indiana, and one each in New Jersey, Tennessee, and Washington, D.C., officials said. Two tested positive in Europe, Biogen spokesman David Caouette said Wednesday."

"The Biogen cluster underscores the danger in continuing to host business gatherings as the virus, which has sickened tens of thousands of people since emerging in China in December, spreads, said Marc Lipsitch, a Harvard University infectious disease epidemiologist."

By March 3

State health officials say the company notified them of the potential outbreak March 3 and that by March 6 they had publicly confirmed the cases as the type of coronavirus that causes the disease COVID-19.

At this point, they were testing hundreds of employees and ultimately shut down the whole company of 7,000.

de Blasio and his health commissioner continued to downplay the threat after March 6. There was little in the local NYC news coverage in NYC from February 26-29 about the Wuhan virus. Penn Station was packed with commuters coughing and sneezing on each other on the 26th and the 29th. The broadway play "Hamilton" on the 29th was a complete sellout and 1200 people were packed like sardines coughing on each other. 8th avenue (old garment district) was packed with construction traffic. The Museum of Art was packed with students on the 29th with busses from the suburbs of NYC and they were coughing.

Meanwhile, the alarm had sounded in Boston and its health care systems were mobilizing.

Actually, Trump owns it. His virus on his watch. He took too long to respond.
                      $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                      Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

By March 3

Your two posts tell the tale Dutchman. de Blasio should be run outta town on a rail!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Your two posts tell the tale Dutchman. de Blasio should be run outta town on a rail!
                          He has been long before this. New Yorkers hate him more than they hate Trump.

Mayor Bill de Blasio ended his presidential campaign in September, returning to New York City to find that little had changed: He was still unloved, and, in his mind, unappreciated.

His approval rating had sunk to a new low of 33 percent. His relationship with Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, a fellow Democrat and frequent adversary, was beyond repair.

His thinning influence over the City Council had eroded even further; when the mayor pushed one of his top priorities from last year — a paid vacation proposal for private-sector workers — the Council ignored it.

Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-02-2020, 07:13 AM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Trumpettes are now, as predicted by many, making the transition from “nothing to see here”, “no big deal”, “my rights are being taken away”, he’s so presidential “, etc., to now it’s:
                            “Not his fault”. The most outrageous case of the buck NOT stopping here in this countries history. Meanwhile, the Trump virus marches on.

So predictable coming from their world of black is white, up is down.
                            $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                            Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              He has been long before this. New Yorkers hate him more than they hate Trump.

Good of Kraft to do that.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

My apologies - in reading it back, I should have worded it more carefully. It was a collective "you", not meant to be a Darius-specific "you". Just a reference to the entertaining but now abandoned line of thought which had Drs. Fauci and Birx disagreeing with President Trump, and their infrequent absences then attributed to the President supposedly "silencing" their dissent. From my subsequent posts, I think we aren't far off in how we saw today's briefing - other than I disagree about the "distraction" bit. My apologies though for the clumsy "you" thingie though, sincerely.
                                Not abandoned, moved on. My take, obviously speculation, it was the President disagreeing with the docs not the other way around and the day you refer to, Dr. Fauci legitimately had a better use of his time than being a 90 minute stage prop OR he suggested to the President that it might be better if he were not on stage that day. Clearly it is the President's understanding that has evolved not the doctors'.
                                Last edited by Darius; 04-02-2020, 10:16 AM.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X