What are you looking forward to with your team in 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Hey, don't knock it till you tried it...
    That's Fishman's specialty.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Again, again, again... There was no local interest.

That's an ongoing problem in D-3, and I don't have a solution.

When most D-3 programs draw <500 fans for home games, and those fans very rarely travel, how are going to fill a neutral venue?

That won't happen in our collective lifetime, IMO.
      The first couple years out in Lake Placid there were crowds of 5,000+. Maybe fans in Utica just aren't very good hockey fans. Yourself included.

Comment

Re: What are you looking forward to with your team in 2020-21

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
        The first couple years out in Lake Placid there were crowds of 5,000+. Maybe fans in Utica just aren't very good hockey fans. Yourself included.
        Wow, shocking Sir Noob, I'm sure it wasn't because Plattsburgh, Norwich, and Oswego weren't all in the Final 4 in 2010! That's the only time they recorded more than 5,000. They had just under that in 2008 when Plattsburgh and Norwich were in it. Fish is a dummy but you are literally proving his point for him.

A final 4 of Adrian, Trinity, Norwich, Geneseo doesn't bring in more than 500 a game if St Norbert hosts.

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
          Wow, shocking Sir Noob, I'm sure it wasn't because Plattsburgh, Norwich, and Oswego weren't all in the Final 4 in 2010! That's the only time they recorded more than 5,000. They had just under that in 2008 when Plattsburgh and Norwich were in it. Fish is a dummy but you are literally proving his point for him.

A final 4 of Adrian, Trinity, Norwich, Geneseo doesn't bring in more than 500 a game if St Norbert hosts.
          http://www.collegehockeystats.net/07...s/mnrwsnb1.m22

5600 in 2008 when it was Elmira, Norwich, Plattsburgh and St. Norbert
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Thanks! (I guess.... )

*Sigh*

My point to Nubbers and her ilk all along was/is that if nobody cares at a certain venue, nobody cares at a certain venue. That's a pretty simple fact to grasp, for many of us.

Just showing up for a game that you don't give a sh*t about doesn't make you worthy of a Fan Medal, it just makes you dumb, and trying to make a useless point.

I won't dispute Prezde's numbers from Placid 12 years ago, but that goes to my point... That FF was perfect storm in terms of geography, especially via Platty and Norwich. That won't happen again anytime soon. And the more recent D-3 Placid things, not so much.

I hope I live long enough to see how SNC packs-in the crowd when it hosts, if it ever does. Methuselah will envy my longevity in that case.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-29-2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

The NCAA site reports it at 4800. And still, you have Plattsburgh and Norwich, 2 of the top 5 fan bases, within 2 hours. Obviously they are going to show up. Hell, if Plattsburgh made the final 4 in Utica you’d probably see the number double as well. You still arent proving a thing

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

What does a final 4 of Trinity, Geneseo, Norbert, Adrian look like in Norwich. You guys packing the house??? Doubt it

Comment

What does a final 4 of Trinity, Geneseo, Norbert, Adrian look like in Norwich. You guys packing the house??? Doubt it
                  Probably not. I wasn’t claiming any D3 rink would do well with numbers if the host team wasn’t there. I was simply responding that the CHS boxscore stated 5600 for attendance for 2008. I was there and it was definitely a big crowd and great atmosphere.

I think the early Placid hosting years benefited from obviously having Plattsburgh there both years at the end of their hay day. However, I think the novelty wore off slightly when it was there 3 out of 4 years or every other year and then had some downright putrid attendance years when the teams were UMass Boston, Colby, Stevens Point and St. Norbert? I think those were the four.

In 2008, it had a festival-like atmosphere with a band playing before the games outside and then in intermissions.

I was really impressed.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

That place would likely have looked less empty, but NU has half the seats that Utica has. Everything is relative, and the raw attendance at NU would certainly have been lower.

I would guess that perhaps NU would have sold around 500 tickets on Day One, and possibly many fewer on Day Two, unless Genny advanced to the final.

(And nobody would have showed-up for a SNC/Adrian final, aside from the odd parent flown-in on short notice.)

This argument, of course, is fundamentally silly, but there's still no way in the world that Utica wouldn't draw more fans than a backwater such as Northfield if the field was even remotely attractive per the locals.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-31-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X