X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    John-ny Cur-ry, clap, clap…clap, clap, clap

Two-time All-American (1st Team 2006, 2nd 2007)
    BU’s career leader in both save percentage and GAA
    Three of the top 12 GAAs for a season.
    Tied with Oettinger and Ferreira for career shutouts (13).
    2007 Hobey Baker finalist and HE Player of the Year
    Long AHL career and 8 NHL appearances.
    Not bad for a recruited walk-on who played just five minutes as a freshman.

IIRC, Curry took over as starting goalie very early in the 2004-05 season after BU lost badly to Miami and Michigan in the Left McFadden tournament.
    Wikipedia page

Thank you, Sean!
    I just watched the 2007 Beanpot final the other night (taped off NESN). Man, I had forgotten how good Curry was. He was absolutely immense in that game.
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Amen to this! Chris Drury was a 4th line freshman on the 1994-1995 team. I mean, come on! #Top4TerrierEver

Deep, talented, smart. Great leadership, great buy-in. Size, strength, skating ability. They had it all. Though I still want to know what the **** happened in the 1994 National Championship game.
      I spoke to some LSSU fans at the hotel after the game, and they commented that in the first two minutes, they were very concerned (Bob Lachance hit a post in the first minute I believe). I would have traded a concerned two minutes for a gleeful if not eventually anti-climactic 58 minutes...

LSSU just played that "grind it along the boards for 80% of the offensive possession" games, and for two straight FF games against them, we couldn't solve it. We finally did in 1995.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I watched the BU-Michigan State NCAA game three quarterfinal game yesterday. It was fun! Going to watch more. A few comments:

- I literally had no recollection of Rob Regan. He scored the 5th goal! Why is it I remember every other guy on that team but not him?
        - The announcer guys were...not that good. Alternating the pronunciation of Alex Legault's last name between the correct (Le-GOH) and the incorrect (LEE-goh)
        - Bomber-I noticed that there was an MSU player named Kerry Russell. Mostly because he was the only player on the ice who had both his first and last name announced every time. For all the other players, it was just their last name. But him? Kerry Russell every time. It got to the point I looked up the MSU roster to see if maybe his name was Kerirussel.
        - Totally forgot that Dave Tomlinson got a game DQ and couldn't play in game 2.
        - They interviewed George Gwozdecky between periods. He was the coach of the Miami Redmen.
        - It kept cracking me up that the announcers would welcome viewers from Boston (of course) and Washington, DC. Why would this game be shown in Washington, DC?

Regardless, it was a fun trip down memory lane and I plan to watch a few more.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          I spoke to some LSSU fans at the hotel after the game, and they commented that in the first two minutes, they were very concerned (Bob Lachance hit a post in the first minute I believe). I would have traded a concerned two minutes for a gleeful if not eventually anti-climactic 58 minutes...

LSSU just played that "grind it along the boards for 80% of the offensive possession" games, and for two straight FF games against them, we couldn't solve it. We finally did in 1995.
          BU was woefully unprepared mentally for that game which was a hallmark of the 2nd half of Parker's career. No way should that team have been completely blown off the ice in what may have been the worst title game loss in recent history (can't speak to what happened in the 50's and 60's, but that was ugly). IMHO the team self motivated the next year after being humiliated to take the title.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            BU was woefully unprepared mentally for that game which was a hallmark of the 2nd half of Parker's career. No way should that team have been completely blown off the ice in what may have been the worst title game loss in recent history (can't speak to what happened in the 50's and 60's, but that was ugly). IMHO the team self motivated the next year after being humiliated to take the title.
            I was actually more disappointed with the loss to North Dakota in 1997. I think Parker underestimated the offensive firepower of that team, because he went away from the one-man forecheck that was so effective two days prior against Michigan. If nothing else, after getting the 2-0 lead, that would have been a good time to switch to it.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

At the bradley center, I thought after Michigan lost It's was BU in the bag.
              UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I watched the BU-Michigan State NCAA game three quarterfinal game yesterday. It was fun! Going to watch more. A few comments:

- I literally had no recollection of Rob Regan. He scored the 5th goal! Why is it I remember every other guy on that team but not him?
                - The announcer guys were...not that good. Alternating the pronunciation of Alex Legault's last name between the correct (Le-GOH) and the incorrect (LEE-goh)
                - Bomber-I noticed that there was an MSU player named Kerry Russell. Mostly because he was the only player on the ice who had both his first and last name announced every time. For all the other players, it was just their last name. But him? Kerry Russell every time. It got to the point I looked up the MSU roster to see if maybe his name was Kerirussel.
                - Totally forgot that Dave Tomlinson got a game DQ and couldn't play in game 2.
                - They interviewed George Gwozdecky between periods. He was the coach of the Miami Redmen.
                - It kept cracking me up that the announcers would welcome viewers from Boston (of course) and Washington, DC. Why would this game be shown in Washington, DC?

Regardless, it was a fun trip down memory lane and I plan to watch a few more.
                Rob Regan hung around after graduating to do a Master's degree, and he used to play in the intramural hockey league and play pick up hockey with us. Really great guy, and he outclassed all of us amateurs.
                Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  It should surprise no one that I haven’t watched every game I’ve converted (or maybe it does). Still, some comments:

there used to be many more 4-on-4s
                  I miss the 4-on-3s
                  I really miss the 3-on-3s
                  faceoffs all over the ice
                  many goalies used to skate out of the crease more
                  many goalies used to play the puck more, including in the corners
                  you can see the evolution of goaltending from standup to butterfly
                  crashing the crease/goalie was much more common
                  icing used to be waved off if the puck went through the crease
                  good or bad, the officials actually had to make calls live
                  a lot of the goals would probably have been waved off if video replay had been available
                  Northeastern seemly had a different jersey style every season or two

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    It should surprise no one that I haven’t watched every game I’ve converted (or maybe it does). Still, some comments:

there used to be many more 4-on-4s
                    I miss the 4-on-3s
                    I really miss the 3-on-3s
                    faceoffs all over the ice
                    you can see the evolution of goaltending from standup to butterfly
                    crashing the crease/goalie was much more common
                    icing used to be waved off if the puck went through the crease
                    good or bad, the officials actually had to make calls live
                    a lot of the goals would probably have been waved off if video replay had been available
                    Northeastern seemly had a different jersey style every season or two

Sean
                    I watched the highlights of when BU beat Denver in a regional final in Worcester. I think it was 1997. The overtime was a 3-on-3. Was that standard? Or did each team have two men in the box? I find it weird that, in a tournament game, the NCAA would do that. Of course, I also thought it was weird when you get a power play and the face-off could have been at center ice to start the power play.

Comment

Hee, I just finished watching Game 3 MSU-BU 1990 myself. My thoughts:

- Pettri Koskimaki with the vicious 2 handed slash that earned him a 5 minute Major in the 1st! Crazy
                      - BU Fought off two 5 on 3 power plays in this game
                      - During one flurry during the 5 minute major, Scott Cashman knocked the net off with his back and they called Tony Amonte for it. Tony wasn't happy about that.
                      - MSU was up 3-1! #Chokers
                      - Ed Ronan's goal from Joe Sacco was a thing of beauty (4 on 4 goal!)
                      - Amonte - snipe city to go up 4-3.
                      - For a guy who scored over 100 points in a single season, Kip Miller was a complete non-factor. Imagine if there had been a message board back then? They would have roasted him.
                      - Two BU players - including Cashman gave their sticks to BU fans after the game before Parker went over to yell at them. Did you get one defkit?

Oh, and as mentioned before the broadcast was trash. But the play-by-play guy had one sweet 'stache.
                      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                        I watched the highlights of when BU beat Denver in a regional final in Worcester. I think it was 1997. The overtime was a 3-on-3. Was that standard? Or did each team have two men in the box? I find it weird that, in a tournament game, the NCAA would do that. Of course, I also thought it was weird when you get a power play and the face-off could have been at center ice to start the power play.
                        3 on 3 due to penalties. Wasn't it wonderful? Shawn Bates and Chris Drury with that much ice is lethal.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                          I still haven't come accross my tape of that game and it's one I really want to watch again.

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          3 on 3 due to penalties. Wasn't it wonderful? Shawn Bates and Chris Drury with that much ice is lethal.
                          The winning goal was 4-on-4 as Dan Ronan and Paul Comrie had both been released from the penalty boxes 4 seconds before, although neither was involved in the play.

New games on my Google drive:

2003 Beanpot semifinal BU vs Harvard
                          2003 Beanpot semifinal BC vs NU
                          2003 Beanpot championship BU vs BC
                          2003 Feb 14 BU at UML

Sean
                          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-09-2020, 12:03 AM.
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Jackpa has always written off 97 as he had a goalie that couldn’t handle breakaways and the Sioux got enough in the game that bu was toast

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                            Yah, once he nhl outlawed that with the broeder rule goalie puck play evaporated quickly.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Jackpa has always written off 97 as he had a goalie that couldn’t handle breakaways and the Sioux got enough in the game that bu was toast
                              I read got that far in the sentence and thought you meant Gilroy
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Crotty signing with Coyotes.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X