Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    I know you've told that story numerous times, defkit, but I forgot it was only game 3. So good.

The offensive #'s on that MSU team are unreal. Like, only 10% of today's NCAA players reach those #'s for their entire career in college. Can you imagine if Jack Eichel got to shoot on skinny flopping goalies with no equipment?

I rode on the bus with the pep band to the Final Four (It wasn't "Frozen" yet.) That was my first taste of that entire experience. Complete with a trip to Don Cherry's sports bar in Windsor Canada. Good times indeed.

BU Hockey: Once Proud, Now Mediocre
    Yeah, one of those Spartan defensemen had like 21 goals (Wooley?). That era was crazy. Bob Joyce with 52 goals, Tony Hrkac with well over 100 points for ND in what 1987?. 1991 alone you had Scott Beattie with 89 points, David Emma with 84 (I think), Shawn McEachern with 82. Jean Yves Roy for Maine was up there too I think. Heck, Tony Amonte with 68 points wasn't even a Hobey Top 10, even though he was widely considered among the Top NHL-caliber talents. I think that was Doug Weight's sophomore season at LSSU too.

I took one of the BU buses to Detroit. I remember Sniper having an amazing first period against Colgate (maybe 1g, 1a) and then that agonizing shot by McEachern that beat Dave Gagnon but hit the post...then there was the vote back at the hotel (I think) on whether to stay for the final two days later. We spent the off-day in Windsor. First we hit a, shall we call it "novelty" store when my buddy Sean walked out with an interesting pair of prank glasses with a protrusion for the nose that was what you would expect from one of these stores. And then we hit the "Million Dollar Saloon" - couldn't have been much later than noon, and darn if they didn't have the full talent on display already. The best part was when two BC boys walked in with their coeds and were appraently too embarrassed to admit that they didn't realize what kind of place they were walking into. The girls sat with their backs to the stage and the boys tried their best not to stare at the scene behind them.

I remember being in awe as all the Badger fans filtered into Joe Louis - many more than had been there two nights prior. And they put a hurting on Colgate (7-3?). And we all said we would have given Wisconsin a much better game...
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

This isn't trivia since I don't know the actual answer - who was the last BU player to come in as a freshman directly from a public (not parochial) high school? I know Jay Pandolfo came straight from Burlington High (pretty sure at least). I'm sure there were some depth players for a few years after that. First we saw the public school kids dry up, then the parochial kids (remember the freshman class that include Noble, Sylvia, and Kealty all from Catholic Memorial?) Now even coming in straight from a prep school is tough.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        This isn't trivia since I don't know the actual answer - who was the last BU player to come in as a freshman directly from a public (not parochial) high school? I know Jay Pandolfo came straight from Burlington High (pretty sure at least). I'm sure there were some depth players for a few years after that. First we saw the public school kids dry up, then the parochial kids (remember the freshman class that include Noble, Sylvia, and Kealty all from Catholic Memorial?) Now even coming in straight from a prep school is tough.
        Spang?
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          I believe Sam Kurker came from Saint Johns Prep in 12-13. Didn't do anything his freshman year then left midway through Sophomore year. Transferred to NU but didn't do anythign there. Was a 2nd round pick out of high school. I know its not a public school, but Kurker might be the only player for a long time that has came from MIAA
          Last edited by cridge; 04-03-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            GERBE!!!!!
            or Gionta

Comment

Spang?
              Dan Spang played in several of the games I watched and converted recently. When I heard his name I recalled that it was mentioned more than once when he was a freshman that he came straight out of Winchester High, so he had a much harder adjustment to the college game than other defensemen.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                Dan Spang played in several of the games I watched and converted recently. When I heard his name I recalled that it was mentioned more than once when he was a freshman that he came straight out of Winchester High, so he had a much harder adjustment to the college game than other defensemen.

Sean
                Yup.

Can’t recall if a pub hs came after him

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                  or Gionta
                  Fvckers

Comment

Yup.

Can’t recall if a pub hs came after him
                    I took a look through the rosters online and it doesn't look like there was anyone else. Several more came from the parochial or prep schools. Bryan Ewing played at Duxbury High as a freshman and sophomore, but he transferred to Cushing for his junior and senior seasons before coming to BU.

Originally posted by cridge View Post
                    I believe Sam Kurker came from Saint Johns Prep in 12-13. Didn't do anything his freshman year then left midway through Sophomore year. Transferred to NU but didn't do anythign there. Was a 2nd round pick out of high school. I know its not a public school, but Kurker might be the only player for a long time that has came from MIAA
                    Kurker came from St. John's Prep and does appear to be the last to come directly from a parochial school. Patrick Harper (Avon Old Farms) and Johnny McDermott (Westminster Prep) appear to be the last two players to come directly from a prep school (2016-17).

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      I watched the 2006 Beanpot final last night.
                      I'm really disappointed with NESN. After showing the '04 and '05 finals in HD they have shown the '06 and '07 finals in SD (and I have the '07 final in HD). I also don't know why they are showing the edited 2 hour versions and not the complete games.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Fvckers
                        Throw in Gaudreau for the hat trick of hate.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          Throw in Gaudreau for the hat trick of hate.
                          Eeeeewwwww yah!!

Though Johnny just seemed to score. Wasn’t a cheater like the G’s

Comment

Eeeeewwwww yah!!

Though Johnny just seemed to score. Wasn’t a cheater like the G’s
                            Yeah he was just too good to hate just admired. Carried himself well. Kind of like when Joey Mullen was lighting it up against us.

Comment

I've uploaded another batch of games to my Google drive:

1991 NCAA Championship BU vs NMU (thanks to Terry Switzer - and no, I didn't watch it)
                              1994 Hockey East Semifinal BU vs NU
                              1994 Hockey East Semifinal UML vs UNH
                              1994 Hockey East Championship BU vs UML
                              1994 NCAA Quarterfinal BU vs Wisconsin
                              1994 NCAA Quarterfinal UNH vs Harvard
                              1994 NCAA Semifinal BU vs Minnesota

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM.

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                                Yeah he was just too good to hate just admired. Carried himself well. Kind of like when Joey Mullen was lighting it up against us.
                                That's the way I feel about Chris Drury. Even though his BU career coincided with a huge downturn for BC and is emblematic of a period of absolute BU dominance over BC, I could never dislike the guy. Just an amazing player and would make my NCAA hockey Mount Rushmore for sure.
                                The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                                BC - 12
                                BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X