BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wysi View Post
    I'm still annoyed about that penalty called on Mike Grier.
    It seemed like there was one of those in just about every game he played at BU.

Comment

Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I skimmed through that list. I remember when the Pot was on channel 68. Think as late as '98? And I think it was more than just the BU games. Not sure when NESN got in on the action. And of course much better crowds in general as you go back in time. Even for NCAA regionals.
      Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I also encourage you to watch the beginning of that '95 Beanpot open. Wow, imagine announcers dressing like that today! Looks more like a wedding.
      Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      If I’m not mistaken, that was the last Beanpot in the Garden and that’s why they did that.
      Yes, Channel 68 televeised the Beanpot semifinals and final from 1995 through 2000. The earliest tapes I have are the '87 Beanpot, which was televised by NESN (semifinals and consolation game) and Channel 38 (championship game). I'm not sure if that continued for the next year or two, but by 1991 NESN was broadcasting both the semifinals and final. NESN got the rights back with the 2001 Beanpot and have been televising it since.

NESN has been rebroadcasting past championship games, but they are edited to fit into their 2 hour time slots. Right now NESN is showing the 2005 championship game in HD, which I'm recording as I only have it on tape in SD. I'm considering editing the two together, using the SD to put back in what NESN edited out of the rebroadcast.

And yes, 1995 was the final Beanpot held in the Boston Garden and that is why they wore tuxs. They wore regular suits the next five years it was on Channel 68.

BTW, I converted the all the '87 games and the '89 semifinals and I'm uploading them to my drive.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Anyone know the out of conference game for this coming season?

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
          Anyone know the out of conference game for this coming season?
          At least going to NMU for two in October, going to MN for one in December.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
            It seemed like there was one of those in just about every game he played at BU.
            Grier was called for 37 penalties in both his sophomore and junior years--many calls for "being big," which led Parker to tell him it was time to turn pro. While at BU, Grier became the poster boy for Mike Boyle's heralded "Body by Boyle" strength & conditioning program.

Grier's devastating open ice hit on Greg Callahan (??) during that '95 BP final.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I watched Game 2 of the 1990 NCCA Quarters from Munn Arena in East Lansing Michigan. (defkit was there!). Some observations:

- The lack of time and score on the screen is truly barbaric. And the announcers don't help by rarely updating either.
              - How great is the play-by-play dude's 'stache! (I wish I was smart enough to post a picture here.)
              - Dave Tomlinson was suspended for this game! Parker got into a nose-to-nose screaming match with the ref at the end of Game 1!
              - The team looked lost in the first period and was down 1-0 on MSU's first shot of the game (on a mini-breakaway). Passing was terrible and the game had zero flow.
              - Bryan Smolinksi (Who had a nice pro career. His first three seasons with the Bruins.) got tossed for spearing! This 5 minute major woke up BU
              - Kip Miller's stat line for the 1989-1990 season is jaw dropping. 48-50-98. My God.
              - Joe Sacco got a 10 minute misconduct for *****ing about a penalty call. (A call that was an absolute mugging. )
              - MSU had a player named Kerry Russell. Hee! (That one's for you Scarlet.)
              - Ron Mason never pulled his goalie at the end of a 5-3 game!? Did he think it was a total goals series? Did he not see the 2009 Terrier comeback? Oh, wait....
              - McEachern and Amonte were stupid fast.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Game 3 turns out. Go BU!
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                Yes, Channel 68 televeised the Beanpot semifinals and final from 1995 through 2000. The earliest tapes I have are the '87 Beanpot, which was televised by NESN (semifinals and consolation game) and Channel 38 (championship game). I'm not sure if that continued for the next year or two, but by 1991 NESN was broadcasting both the semifinals and final. NESN got the rights back with the 2001 Beanpot and have been televising it since.

NESN has been rebroadcasting past championship games, but they are edited to fit into their 2 hour time slots. Right now NESN is showing the 2005 championship game in HD, which I'm recording as I only have it on tape in SD. I'm considering editing the two together, using the SD to put back in what NESN edited out of the rebroadcast.

And yes, 1995 was the final Beanpot held in the Boston Garden and that is why they wore tuxs. They wore regular suits the next five years it was on Channel 68.

BTW, I converted the all the '87 games and the '89 semifinals and I'm uploading them to my drive.

Sean
                Sean, do you happen to have the 2001 and/or the 2004 Beanpot Final?

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  I watched Game 2 of the 1990 NCCA Quarters from Munn Arena in East Lansing Michigan. (defkit was there!). Some observations:
                  Actually I was not there for Game 2, only Game 3. Kind of a fun story. After trying unsuccessfully all week to get a ride to Lansing for the whole series, I watched Game 1 at the GSU as did many students (I think this game was only on closed circuit for the Boston area). Then I watched Game 2 at my Union Square apartment (this was my senior year) expecting them to lose. Pumped that they had won, I was heading out to meet friends at ____(what the heck was the name of that place that turned up right at Packard's Corner on the "inside" of the curve? It had BU paraphernalia - I am picturing photos from the Beanpot like Mike Sullivan holding the 'Pot). But while I was waiting for the elevator at my apartment building, I heard my phone ring. I debated whether I should run back in to answer it. I did, and on the other end were a group of guys that I knew who were going to try to rent a vehicle to drive out for Game 3, and they had room for one more. They confirmed that SRO tickets would be going on sale before the game, and if we got on the road by 1am, we would be there in time for the game. So that's what we did - drove 15 hours, arrived in time for some pre-game pizza, bought our SRO tickets, watched the game (Hey Bomber - it was a good result :-)), went back to the hotel where the team was staying for about an hour to celebrate more with other fans, and then drove 15 hours back to Boston. We made Larry Fudge promise that we wouldn't miss out on FF tickets since we might still be driving by the time the ticket office opened.

It is true that the MSU fans never in a million years thought they would lose that series, and some of them were trying to sell their FF tickets to us before we left Munn. They were the number 1 team in the country, but we beat them 3 out of 4 times that season.

Good times.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Watching the '95 Beanpot final. A few thoughts:

1. The officiating was terrible.

2. BU looked like they were playing pond hockey with all the dangles and creative plays.

3. Who was the bc punk who cut up Jay Pandolfo's hand?
                    Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                      Sean, do you happen to have the 2001 and/or the 2004 Beanpot Final?
                      Before I started actually checking my tapes and converting them I would have said, and did say, I didn't have any BU losses. However, I have already found 4 games BU lost, so it is possible. Still, I don't think I have those games on tape, but NESN has been rebroadcasting edited versions of the Beanpot championship games and they showed the 2004 final two days ago in HD. I recorded it as even if I did have it on tape it would be in SD. They also recently showed the 1994 championship game (which I also recorded), there last one before 2001, which they probably also showed (but I didn't record) and have been showing one every night on NESN+ at 10pm. Tonight was the 2006 final, tomorrow is the 2007 final and Saturday is the 2008 final. Next week they continue with the '09 final and currently have up to the '13 final scheduled. 2004 was the first championship broadcast in HD (the 2003 repeat was shown in SD) and I didn't get my DVHS recorder until late 2006, so the HD broadcasts of the '04, '05 and '06 games are of interest to me. Unfortunately they are edited, so what I may end up doing is using my copies (assuming I find them) to restore the play.

Thanks to defkit I have watched and converted the 1986 Hockey East championship game. I'm uploading it, along with the 1985 Hockey East championship game and the 1988 Beanpot semifinals to my Google drive

Sean
                      Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-03-2020, 12:32 AM.

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post

3. Who was the bc punk who cut up Jay Pandolfo's hand?
                        GERBE!!!!!
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          At least going to NMU for two in October, going to MN for one in December.
                          Maybe.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            GERBE!!!!!
                            I watched the 2006 Beanpot final last night. God I hated Gerbe.

Speaking of the 2006 Beanpot final, it was interesting to see the Garden Ice painted for the Beanpot. I'm like, what? NHL Strike? No, Olympics break!

John Curry was awesome. Having an awesome goalie is awesome.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

I know you've told that story numerous times, defkit, but I forgot it was only game 3. So good.

The offensive #'s on that MSU team are unreal. Like, only 10% of today's NCAA players reach those #'s for their entire career in college. Can you imagine if Jack Eichel got to shoot on skinny flopping goalies with no equipment?

I rode on the bus with the pep band to the Final Four (It wasn't "Frozen" yet.) That was my first taste of that entire experience. Complete with a trip to Don Cherry's sports bar in Windsor Canada. Good times indeed.

BU Hockey: Once Proud, Now Mediocre
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                                I watched the 2006 Beanpot final last night.
                                I recorded it, but didn't look at it until this morning. I'm really disappointed that NESN rebroadcast it in SD despite 1) rebroadcasting the '04 and '05 finals in HD and 2) having NESN HD on the information banner. The picture quality is still better than my SVHS tape, so I might still edit the two together, but it is a lot of work for less return. I'm still looking for a few DVHS tapes, so I might have the 2006 Beanpot in HD, but since I have a SD copy on SVHS I don't think so.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X