Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    And a very nice steal it was. After the next commercial break NESN showed the play again and Bob Norton commented on it and mentioned Preston was from Arlington. And moments after Preston's shot there was this line, "now John Matterazzo throws it behind the net," and then "Matterazzo couldn't keep it in." Matterazzo played in only 7 games for BU, also all during 1986-87. That's two players who barely played both being mentioned in less than a minute in the same game.

Sean
    John Matterazzo used to play pick up hockey with us at WBA in those days. It was nice to see him get a few games.
    Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

So, after converting random regular season games for the past several days I've started on (most of) the rest of the Beanpot games I have. I'm currently uploading the following games to my Google drive:

1990 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs BC
      1990 Beanpot Semifinal NU vs Harvard
      1991 Beanpot Semifinal BC vs NU
      1991 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs Harvard
      1996 Dec 11 BC at BU

My plan is to continue to convert Beanpot games and try to complete what I have over the next week.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

And a very nice steal it was. After the next commercial break NESN showed the play again and Bob Norton commented on it and mentioned Preston was from Arlington. And moments after Preston's shot there was this line, "now John Matterazzo throws it behind the net," and then "Matterazzo couldn't keep it in." Matterazzo played in only 7 games for BU, also all during 1986-87. That's two players who barely played both being mentioned in less than a minute in the same game.

Sean
        John Matterazzo does not show up on hockeydb. I do recall that he played a few games. So, a few holes in the hockeydb data base.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          I had fun watching the 1987 Beanpot Semi-Final for the first time. That was my first Beanpot game ever, and I didn't remember much. Some interesting takeaways for me (Apologies if I am repeating anything from a post by Bomber or others):
          - For a BU-BC game, very little pushing and shoving after the whistle. I think in general this is something that didn't used to happen as much as it does today.
          - No glass on the penalty box boards.
          - No helmets for the refs.
          - The goal signal for a ref was not to point at the net, but to lift their arm up (seemingly just like a penalty call). Weird.
          - The quick whistles for tie-ups on the boards. Wow that was way too easy a way to get a whistle.
          - Love that stand-up goalie style. A lot more shots from far out back then (unscreened). I think these have gone away because with butterfly-style goaltending, they are going to get saved every time.
          - Greg Brown looked really good, better than Brian Leetch. I often thought Brown was overrated (I think he was HE POY twice), but he looked really good in that game.
          - How about that 1st PP Unit for BC: Leetch, Brown, Craig Janney, and Kevin Stevens. Amazing we kept them off the board.
          - Speaking of Brian Leetch, my favorite call from the game was "John Preston steals the puck from Leetch and goes in alone". A career highlight?
          - Taillefer and John Bradley could be twins in their outfits and #30s. They look exactly the same.
          - Scott Young's skill was evident. So was John Cullen's craftiness.
          That BC team losing in the first round of the NCAAs is Len Ceglarski's biggest failure/disappointment among many.
          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
          BC - 12
          BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            John Matterazzo does not show up on hockeydb. I do recall that he played a few games. So, a few holes in the hockeydb data base.
            He didn't even have a name on his jersey in this game. So I'll give Hockeydb a pass.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Interestingly he's on Elite Prospects and CHN - https://www.collegehockeynews.com/pl...tterazzo/39645 - though with scant personal data.

Comment

I've had trouble a few times after uploading a game and checking to make sure it processed, but not multiple games at the same time. What games have you tried? Also, did you close the tab to the drive and then open it again?

Sean
                I was trying to watch both the 1986 Hockey East Championship and the 1991 NCAA semifinal against Clarkson. And yes. Closed the tab and kept coming back here to click on the Google Drive link. I restarted my computer a couple of times. Nothing. Then I tried my iPad. It did start to play (hooray!) but when I tried to do whatever you call it on AppleTV to play on my television, I kept getting a message that said “There was an error loading this content, try again later.”

Comment

The hockeydb database has gotten much better over the past 2 decades, but it's still far from complete. My own BU hockey database is also still far from complete after almost 25 years, but I'm usually able to cobble information not in it together from the closet full of sources I've collected.

Matterazzo wasn't even on the hockey team preseason roster for the 1986-87 season, but played in the 7 games from 27 January through 20 February. Those games included two vs UNH, the Pot games, two vs PC and the first game vs USIU. So he not only got to play in 7 games, he also got an all expenses paid trip to San Diego in February! According to the 1987-88 media guide, in which he is in, he was a freshman in 1986-87 and was on the JV team before being moved up to varsity. Looking at the lineups it appears that John Cullen and Jeff Sveen did not dress for the 1/27 game and their spots were filled by Matterazzo and John Preston. Cullen and Sveen dressed for the next game, but Coach Parker must have liked what he saw from Matterazzo and Preston as they dressed for the next 6 and 9 games respectively, replacing Matt Pesklewis and Rob Regan.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

The hockeydb database has gotten much better over the past 2 decades, but it's still far from complete. My own BU hockey database is also still far from complete after almost 25 years, but I'm usually able to cobble information not in it together from the closet full of sources I've collected.

Matterazzo wasn't even on the hockey team preseason roster for the 1986-87 season, but played in the 7 games from 27 January through 20 February. Those games included two vs UNH, the Pot games, two vs PC and the first game vs USIU. So he not only got to play in 7 games, he also got an all expenses paid trip to San Diego in February! According to the 1987-88 media guide, in which he is in, he was a freshman in 1986-87 and was on the JV team before being moved up to varsity. Looking at the lineups it appears that John Cullen and Jeff Sveen did not dress for the 1/27 game and their spots were filled by Matterazzo and John Preston. Cullen and Sveen dressed for the next game, but Coach Parker must have liked what he saw from Matterazzo and Preston as they dressed for the next 6 and 9 games respectively, replacing Matt Pesklewis and Rob Regan.

Sean
                    Thanks.

Do you have any stats on Ron Trentini? Especially, the goal he scored.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Thanks.

Trentini played in 17 games over his junior (1988-89) and senior (1989-90) seasons. He played in 5 straight games in January 1989 and then the last 5 games of the season, including the playoff loss to Providence, the game which he scored his lone goal. His goal at 2:42 of the second period tied the game at 1-1, but the Friars retook the lead just over 8 minutes later and increased the lead to 3-1 before a late David Sacco goal cur the lead to 3-2. His senior season he played in 7 of the last 12 games of the season, first being put into the lineup on 27 February. He was the fourth line center for 16 of the 17 games he played in and was the fourth line right wing in the other. His game-by-game stats:

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Trentini played in 17 games over his junior (1988-89) and senior (1989-90) seasons. He played in 5 straight games in January 1989 and then the last 5 games of the season, including the playoff loss to Providence, the game which he scored his lone goal. His goal at 2:42 of the second period tied the game at 1-1, but the Friars retook the lead just over 8 minutes later and increased the lead to 3-1 before a late David Sacco goal cur the lead to 3-2. His senior season he played in 7 of the last 12 games of the season, first being put into the lineup on 27 February. He was the fourth line center for 16 of the 17 games he played in and was the fourth line right wing in the other. His game-by-game stats:

Sean
                        Thanks, Sean.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Thanks.

He was in an acct class with mookie (and mike Sullivan).

Ron sat in the front row by the door.
                          Mike sat back of he class in the middle.
                          Mookie jumped in the window aisle closest to the front as available.
                          (Fresh air )
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            So he was Scott Perry before Scott Perry?

Also, that is why the draft is only 7 rounds now.
                            On that note, don’t forget Bryan LaFort, who was drafted in the 8th round by the Devils. And then there’s Jack MacDougall. A 9th round pick by the Penguins. IIRC, he had a hat trick in the preseason exhibition against Merrimack in 88’ and then fizzled out.
                            Speaking of fizzling out, what happened to the JV team?

P.S. Sean, can you post your contact info again? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                              On that note, don’t forget Bryan LaFort, who was drafted in the 8th round by the Devils. And then there’s Jack MacDougall. A 9th round pick by the Penguins. IIRC, he had a hat trick in the preseason exhibition against Merrimack in 88’ and then fizzled out.
                              Speaking of fizzling out, what happened to the JV team?

P.S. Sean, can you post your contact info again? Thanks.
                              My friend Wally Pasicnick (sp?) played on the JV team for two seasons (finished up in '87). One of the best skaters I've ever played with, but he was 5'4" tall and was never going to make varsity. He ended up transferring to Penn State and playing for their club team.
                              Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

I uploaded four more Beanpot games to my Google drive:

1991 Beanpot Championship BU vs BC
                                1992 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs NU
                                1992 Beanpot Semifinal BC vs Harvard
                                1992 Beanpot Championship BU vs Harvard

The 1991 Championship game is mostly from a recent rebroadcast, but I edited back in the missing game action and intermission pieces, as well as the post game celebration and awards ceremony.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X