Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Watching old games and thinking about those title and near-title-winning teams, it's clear to see the impact when a large recruiting class sticks around for 4 years.

I've probably missed some names, but here goes my best recollection:

87-88 freshman class: Dave Tomlinson, Ed Ronan, Phil von Stefinelli (sp?), Mike and Chris Lappin (transfered after 2 years I believe), Tom Dion (missed a year with injury so was only a Junior during 90-91), Kevin O'Sullivan, Joe Sacco (turned pro after Junior year). Was Chris McCann in that group? Matt Peskelewis? Was John Bradley in that class? I think so.

91-92 freshman class: Steve Thornton, Mike Prendergast, Rich Brennan, Kaj Linna, Adrian Aucoin (left for MJ (?) after one season), Mike Pomichter (turned pro after Junior year), Note: Joubert was a senior on that team but transferred in. I think McKersie and Herlofsky were in that freshman class no? Was Nick Vachon in that class? Dave Dahlberg's name comes to mind from a game when that year, but I don't think he was a freshman.

So clearly they still lost some players, but the number of quality seniors on those teams was a huge contributor to their success.
    87-88 - Delete Kevin O'Sullivan who was a freshman in 89-90. Add Mark Krys and Darin MacDonald. Bradley was a member of that class.

While checking this, I discovered that Ville Kentala went 15-19-34 during the 1988-89 season. I have no memory that he was an impact player to any degree.

91-92 - Add John Lilley (left during soph season), Ken Rausch and Jon Jacques (left after freshman season).

The 1989-90 class was a solid class, also. Amonte, Cashman, Ahola, O'Sullivan, Mark Bavis, Mike Bavis, Legault (left after soph season).

The 1989-90 team that reached the FF, actually lost two players to season ending injuries, Tom Dion and David Sacco. Each of whom played three games before donning the redshirt.
    Last edited by buoldtimer; 04-26-2020, 11:30 AM.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

While checking this, I discovered that Ville Kentala went 15-19-34 during the 1988-89 season. I have no memory that he was an impact player to any degree.
      Ville Kentala’s claim to fame is he scored the first ever goal in the new Conte Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Ville Kentala’s claim to fame is he scored the first ever goal in the new Conte Forum!
        I thought it was Joe Sacco.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

No - Kentala is right.

And in terms of his impact, I have to admit that watching some of the Beanpot games from 87 (I think) and 88, I was impressed with Kentala's play, more than I expected to be.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Watching old games and thinking about those title and near-title-winning teams, it's clear to see the impact when a large recruiting class sticks around for 4 years.

I've probably missed some names, but here goes my best recollection:

87-88 freshman class: Dave Tomlinson, Ed Ronan, Phil von Stefinelli (sp?), Mike and Chris Lappin (transfered after 2 years I believe), Tom Dion (missed a year with injury so was only a Junior during 90-91), Kevin O'Sullivan, Joe Sacco (turned pro after Junior year). Was Chris McCann in that group? Matt Peskelewis? Was John Bradley in that class? I think so.

91-92 freshman class: Steve Thornton, Mike Prendergast, Rich Brennan, Kaj Linna, Adrian Aucoin (left for MJ (?) after one season), Mike Pomichter (turned pro after Junior year), Note: Joubert was a senior on that team but transferred in. I think McKersie and Herlofsky were in that freshman class no? Was Nick Vachon in that class? Dave Dahlberg's name comes to mind from a game when that year, but I don't think he was a freshman.

So clearly they still lost some players, but the number of quality seniors on those teams was a huge contributor to their success.
            I'm pretty sure Nick Vachon was a freshman or sophomore in 90-91, I was chatting with him in the Dugout after the Beanpot win (it could well have been in 1990 though, a long time ago!).
            Last edited by wysi; 04-27-2020, 12:09 AM.
            Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Watching old games and thinking about those title and near-title-winning teams, it's clear to see the impact when a large recruiting class sticks around for 4 years..
              well...... merrimack and nu have large recruiting classes that stick around too
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

If you have been reading my posts you might remember I mentioned I had betamax tapes, but no working machine. I was able to rent one (donations still accepted) and I've converted 4+ BU games, including the 1989 & 1990 Beanpot championship games, and Harvard's 1989 NCAA title run. Here are the most recent games I've uploaded to my Google drive:

1987 Feb 15 BU at PC
                1988 Jan 26 BU at Lowell
                1989 Beanpot Championship BU vs Harvard
                1989 NCAA Quarterfinals game 2 LSSU at Harvard
                1989 NCAA Semifinal Harvard vs MSU
                1989 NCAA Championship Harvard vs Minnesota
                1990 Beanpot Championship BU vs Harvard
                1990 Feb 21 BU at PC (missing last 12:43 of game)
                1991 Beanpot Championship (upgraded with better video for most of game)
                2000 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs Harvard
                2000 Beanpot Championship BU vs BC
                2002 Beanpot Semifinal NU vs Harvard
                2002 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs BC
                2002 Beanpot CHampionship BU vs NU (complete)
                2014 Nov 07 BU at BC (missing first 8 minutes)
                2015 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs Harvard
                2015 Beanpot Championship BU vs NU
                2015 Nov 13 BU at PC

Bonus material
                Mike Grier 1995 NESN profile

That bring the total number of games up to 214: 176 BU games and 38 non-BU games. BU's record in the games is 157-12-7, which is 12 more losses than I thought I had and 11 more than I planned to keep (it turns out I was fine with keeping BU's Great Western Freezeout loss to Maine). I've updated the game index and I've also started to add notes for games with video and audio tracking issues. I've also changes the columns for each team so it now shows how many goals the team scored.

In the 12 Feb 1987 PC at BU game in overtime both Preston and Matterazzo had a good shift shortly before the winning goal was scored and are mentioned, Preston several times. The 15 Feb 1987 BU at PC game has a Bob Norton interview of David Quinn during the second intermission and in hindsight it was obvious that he would be a coach. Sean McDonough also mentioned talk of Hockey East wanting Notre Dame to join the league.

Sean
                Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-27-2020, 02:26 AM.
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

89 Beanpot vs hu

Which season was it at the end of year banquet (04, 09?) that jackpa gets up and says Peter fish was originally going to be here to present an award, but instead had to go to the Harvard banquet to get his award as 89 beanpot mvp .
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    89 Beanpot vs hu

Which season was it at the end of year banquet (04, 09?) that jackpa gets up and says Peter fish was originally going to be here to present an award, but instead had to go to the Harvard banquet to get his award as 89 beanpot mvp .
                    Ouch! I did notice in re-watching that game, that despite having a great breakaway save when we were down 3-0, which allowed us to battle back to take the lead, he let in some softies after that.

Comment

I think Google's capital expenditures are going up to keep up with storage needs for one Mr. Pickett in the Boston area.

Seriously - thanks for all you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        89 Beanpot vs hu

Classic JP, and a great line.

Comment

Sean, while watching the 1990 Beanpot final, I noticed that Kevin O'Sullivan skated a forward line. Using your data base, can you tell how many games he skated up front? Do you recall the circumstances under which he was moved to forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            No - Kentala is right.

And in terms of his impact, I have to admit that watching some of the Beanpot games from 87 (I think) and 88, I was impressed with Kentala's play, more than I expected to be.
                            You can now watch the goal (and game) as it is up on my Google drive: 1988 Nov 1 BU at BC. Renting that Betamax machine is looking like a good idea.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Sean, while watching the 1990 Beanpot final, I noticed that Kevin O'Sullivan skated a forward line. Using your data base, can you tell how many games he skated up front? Do you recall the circumstances under which he was moved to forward?
                              I don’t recall why, but based on line charts it appears that Chris McCann was injured and Coach Parker liked the play of O’Sullivan over the other forwards available. He played at NU the Thursday before the Beanpot and the Beanpot semifinal vs BC, then was back on defense as McCann played (or tried) against Merrimack in the betweener game. Kevin then played the next 5 games as the 4th line left wing, returning to defense one game before McCann’s return for the entire postseason (Ron Trentini played 4th line center for that last game McCann missed).

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Ouch! I did notice in re-watching that game, that despite having a great breakaway save when we were down 3-0, which allowed us to battle back to take the lead, he let in some softies after that.
                                I want to rewatch that game just to see Lane MacDonald's goal again... on his knees with his back to the goal.
                                Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Working...
                                X