Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
    Thank you, Sean. For someone not exactly technically savvy-- how do I watch your Google drive? Do I need a subscription? A password? Thank you.
    If you have a Google account, you should be able to view it without anything else. This link takes you right there and you can scroll through and click on any game to watch right there.

I think you may even be able to access it without a Google account but I'm not positive.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

When I watch these mid-80’s games, I wonder what happened to Jeff Sveen? A pretty solid player as a Freshman and Sophomore but then his play started to drop off and he hardly played at all by the end of his Senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
        When I watch these mid-80’s games, I wonder what happened to Jeff Sveen? A pretty solid player as a Freshman and Sophomore but then his play started to drop off and he hardly played at all by the end of his Senior year.
        These days he's a golf pro in Alberta (I'm friends with him on FB). But yeah, he wasn't playing nearly as well as his career went on.
        Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
          Thank you, Sean. For someone not exactly technically savvy-- how do I watch your Google drive? Do I need a subscription? A password? Thank you.
          Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          If you have a Google account, you should be able to view it without anything else. This link takes you right there and you can scroll through and click on any game to watch right there.

I think you may even be able to access it without a Google account but I'm not positive.
          Available to all, just click on the link.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            Yes, thanks, Sean.

I just watched the 1994 NCAA QF game vs. Wisconsin. The 1993-94 and 1994-95 BU teams may be my favorites of the 50+ years I've followed Terrier hockey.

Consider:

Two year record - 65-13-3
            Two HE Reg Season Titles (one shared)
            Two HE Postseason Titles
            Two Final Fours
            Two Appearances in NC Title Game
            One National Championship

There may have been BU teams with greater talent (see 1989-90, 1990-91, 2008-09), but these were teams on which future NHLers Jay Pandolfo and Shawn Bates skated the third line each season.

Each of these teams was solid through all three zones.

Each team had an identity because no one left after 1 or 2 seasons. Through these seasons only 1 player, Mike Pomichter, left after 3 seasons. For the most, the lines and defense pairings were consistent throughout each season. You pretty much knew what you'd see from game to game.
            I would expand it to include both the 1995-96 & 1996-97 teams:
            Four season record - 121-29-12
            Four HE reg Season Titles (two shared)
            Three HE Tournament Titles
            Four Frozen Fours
            Three Appearances in NC Title Games

I also really liked the 2005-06 team.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
              Originally posted by wysi View Post
              These days he's a golf pro in Alberta (I'm friends with him on FB). But yeah, he wasn't playing nearly as well as his career went on.
              The last I knew he was married to Coach Parker's daughter Allison. As for his playing career at BU, he was a streaky player his freshman and sophomore seasons and never got going as a junior or senior. He played 17 of the first 18 games of his senior season and then didn't dress the rest of the season. If I recall correctly it was a mutual decision, but I could just as easily be thinking of another player.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Thanks, Sean. Just watched the 1986 HE Championship Game. A great night for the Scarlet and White. I may be wrong, but after Jeff Sveen's second goal of the game, which was BU's 9th goal of the game, the camera scanned the crowd and I think I saw a very young Sean P.
                You have better eyes than I do. After checking my ticket stub to see where we were sitting so I knew where to look in the crowd I do believe I saw a young Sean P. as well.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Only three games uploaded to my Google drive today:

1994 Beanpot CHampionship BC vs Harvard (edited)
                  2005 Last Game 2 Jan Minnesota at BU
                  2005 First Game 3 Jan Minnesota at BU
                  and and bonus
                  A Season of Champions

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    The last I knew he was married to Coach Parker's daughter Allison. As for his playing career at BU, he was a streaky player his freshman and sophomore seasons and never got going as a junior or senior. He played 17 of the first 18 games of his senior season and then didn't dress the rest of the season. If I recall correctly it was a mutual decision, but I could just as easily be thinking of another player.

Sean
                    It's been so many years that my memory may be faulty, but I recall that JP Felix Ungerred Sveen and Eric Labrosse midway through the 1988-89 season. Perhaps the Lappin brothers, also.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

It's been so many years that my memory may be faulty, but I recall that JP Felix Ungerred Sveen and Eric Labrosse midway through the 1988-89 season. Perhaps the Lappin brothers, also.
                      Close, but two different season. Eric Labrosse played in 15 of the first 17 games of the 19987-88 season, before not dressing for 9 straight and 12 of the next 13, before finishing up playing in the last four games of the season. Coach Parker made the decision on/after BU's trip to the upper peninsula (18 & 1/9). Labrosse played the first game and then sat for a month while Sveen DNP the first game before playing his last game for BU the following night.

The Lappin brothers each played 27 of the first 31 games of the 1988-89 season. Chris missed the second games at Michigan State on 11/19, both games the following weekend (11/25 & 11/26) vs NMU & MTU and the game vs Maine on 11/29. Mike missed the 2 SIT games (12/28 & 12/29) and the 1/3 game at NU (World Juniors?) and then the 1/21 game vs Minnesota (when Chris scored the only goal of the game). Their last game in BU scarlet was the 2/18 game vs PC as they DNP the last 5 games of the season.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        I also really liked the 2005-06 team.

Sean
                        John-ny Cur-ry, clap, clap…clap, clap, clap

Two-time All-American (1st Team 2006, 2nd 2007)
                        BU’s career leader in both save percentage and GAA
                        Three of the top 12 GAAs for a season.
                        Tied with Oettinger and Ferreira for career shutouts (13).
                        2007 Hobey Baker finalist and HE Player of the Year
                        Long AHL career and 8 NHL appearances.
                        Not bad for a recruited walk-on who played just five minutes as a freshman.

IIRC, Curry took over as starting goalie very early in the 2004-05 season after BU lost badly to Miami and Michigan in the Left McFadden tournament.
                        Wikipedia page

Thank you, Sean!
                        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

IIRC, Curry took over as starting goalie very early in the 2004-05 season after BU lost badly to Miami and Michigan in the Left McFadden tournament.
                          Wikipedia page

Thank you, Sean!
                          “He may not be a #1 goalie, but he is our #1 goalie.”
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Yes, thanks, Sean.

I just watched the 1994 NCAA QF game vs. Wisconsin. The 1993-94 and 1994-95 BU teams may be my favorites of the 50+ years I've followed Terrier hockey.

Consider:

Two year record - 65-13-3
                            Two HE Reg Season Titles (one shared)
                            Two HE Postseason Titles
                            Two Final Fours
                            Two Appearances in NC Title Game

There may have been BU teams with greater talent (see 1989-90, 1990-91, 2008-09), but these were teams on which future NHLers Jay Pandolfo and Shawn Bates skated the third line each season.

Each of these teams was solid through all three zones.

Each team had an identity because no one left after 1 or 2 seasons. Through these seasons only 1 player, Mike Pomichter, left after 3 seasons. For the most, the lines and defense pairings were consistent throughout each season. You pretty much knew what you'd see from game to game.
                            Amen to this! Chris Drury was a 4th line freshman on the 1994-1995 team. I mean, come on! #Top4TerrierEver

Deep, talented, smart. Great leadership, great buy-in. Size, strength, skating ability. They had it all. Though I still want to know what the **** happened in the 1994 National Championship game.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              Amen to this! Chris Drury was a 4th line freshman on the 1994-1995 team. I mean, come on! #Top4TerrierEver

Deep, talented, smart. Great leadership, great buy-in. Size, strength, skating ability. They had it all. Though I still want to know what the **** happened in the 1994 National Championship game.
                              The most unexpected results, from a negative perspective, while I've followed BU hockey.

1. Losing to Merrimack in the 1998 HE QF's.
                              2. Heinous loss to Lake Superior State in the 1994 NC game. Truly an outlier given the performances that led up to this game.
                              3. Loss to Penn in the 1973 ECAC QF's.
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

Wikipedia page

Thank you, Sean!
                                Curry replaced Karson Gillespie halfway through the Michigan game at the Lefty McFadden Invitational and barely left the goal crease the rest of his time at BU. He played in 105 of the next 117 games, starting 104 of them and was only pulled in 4 games, one due to an injury, IIRC.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X