• Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Here are the latest games I've uploaded to my Google drive:

1986 Dec 10 NU at BU
    1986 Dec 13 BU at NU
    2004 Jan 24 Maine at BU
    2004 Jan 30 BU at UML

The two 1986 games are very likely the last from the eighties, unless someone lends me a working Betamax VCR (I have another 11 BU games on Beta, plus Harvard's '89 NCAA run). And the UML game is yet another bone tossed to the opposition.

Speaking of help form others, four very kind posters have already offered me support as I continue to convert and uploaded my old tape library of games. One has even offered to match up to $100 of support by others, so if you are thinking about helping your support will be doubled. I still have nearly 200 games to digitize, but if I get enough space I'm considering offering to convert the games of others once I finish my tapes.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

1986 Dec 10 NU at BU
      1986 Dec 13 BU at NU
      2004 Jan 24 Maine at BU
      2004 Jan 30 BU at UML

The two 1986 games are very likely the last from the eighties, unless someone lends me a working Betamax VCR (I have another 11 BU games on Beta, plus Harvard's '89 NCAA run). And the UML game is yet another bone tossed to the opposition.

Speaking of help form others, four very kind posters have already offered me support as I continue to convert and uploaded my old tape library of games. One has even offered to match up to $100 of support by others, so if you are thinking about helping your support will be doubled. I still have nearly 200 games to digitize, but if I get enough space I'm considering offering to convert the games of others once I finish my tapes.

Sean
      Sean - I will be contributing.

BTW - got the tapes back fine. Glad I could contribute at least one game.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Nice article in the Boston Globe today about the 1995 Terrier reunion right before the world closed down. (It sounds like one member of that team got it.).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/...st-under-wire/

I watched the 1991 Hockey East Championship game today. One of the all-timers. I do love watching McEachern tuck that backhander through Garth Snow's 5-hole. (Hey Now!)
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

1996 Nov 26 Harvard at BU
          1997 NCAA Quarterfinal BU vs DU
          2004 Mar 04 UNH at BU
          2004 Mar 06 BU at UNH
          2007 Jan 12 BU at Maine

I finally found the 1997 NCAA game vs Denver , but the tape tracking wasn't great (nor are most of the tapes from the channel 68 period). The 12 Jan 2007 game had an issue with the sound being out of sync when I recorded it to DVHS tape. I spent most of yesterday doing my best to sync the sound back up, but the lag time seemed to change during the game. Anyway, I hope I did a decent job on that it is not noticeable.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Sean - I will be contributing.

BTW - got the tapes back fine. Glad I could contribute at least one game.
            Thanks for sending the tape to me, it was great to see the game for the first time since it was played.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Not sure if somethings wrong with my laptop or the Google Drive, but none of the games would play for me. Which is weird because I was able to play a game a couple of weeks ago. You can play directly from the drive, right?

Comment

I had fun watching the 1987 Beanpot Semi-Final for the first time. That was my first Beanpot game ever, and I didn't remember much. Some interesting takeaways for me (Apologies if I am repeating anything from a post by Bomber or others):
                - For a BU-BC game, very little pushing and shoving after the whistle. I think in general this is something that didn't used to happen as much as it does today.
                - No glass on the penalty box boards.
                - No helmets for the refs.
                - The goal signal for a ref was not to point at the net, but to lift their arm up (seemingly just like a penalty call). Weird.
                - The quick whistles for tie-ups on the boards. Wow that was way too easy a way to get a whistle.
                - Love that stand-up goalie style. A lot more shots from far out back then (unscreened). I think these have gone away because with butterfly-style goaltending, they are going to get saved every time.
                - Greg Brown looked really good, better than Brian Leetch. I often thought Brown was overrated (I think he was HE POY twice), but he looked really good in that game.
                - How about that 1st PP Unit for BC: Leetch, Brown, Craig Janney, and Kevin Stevens. Amazing we kept them off the board.
                - Speaking of Brian Leetch, my favorite call from the game was "John Preston steals the puck from Leetch and goes in alone". A career highlight?
                - Taillefer and John Bradley could be twins in their outfits and #30s. They look exactly the same.
                - Scott Young's skill was evident. So was John Cullen's craftiness.

Comment

Are you playing them directly from the drive?

Comment

- Speaking of Brian Leetch, my favorite call from the game was "John Preston steals the puck from Leetch and goes in alone". A career highlight?
                    Pretty safe guess that this is the first John Preston reference on this board. I vaguely remember the name, but have no on ice recollection of him; not even his steal from the future HOFer.

According to hockeydb, he played 13 games at BU all occurring in the 1986-87 season. Across the board 0 0 0.

He was 10th round draft choice of the LA Kings in 1987.
                    Last edited by buoldtimer; 04-19-2020, 03:28 PM.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Are you playing them directly from the drive?
                      Yes. I did have an issue with the game freezing right after we made it 4-0. Stopped twice in the same place. SO I didn't actually see the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        Pretty safe guess that this is the first John Preston reference on this board. I vaguely remember the name, but have no on ice recollection of him; not even his steal from the future HOFer.

According to hockeydb, he played 13 games at BU all occurring in the 1986-87 season. Across the board 0 0 0.

So he was Scott Perry before Scott Perry?

Also, that is why the draft is only 7 rounds now.

Comment

Yes. I did have an issue with the game freezing right after we made it 4-0. Stopped twice in the same place. SO I didn't actually see the whole thing.
                          I can’t get anything to start. I click play and nothing happens.

Comment

So he was Scott Perry before Scott Perry?

Also, that is why the draft is only 7 rounds now.
                            I felt badly for Scott Perry. He was a "useful" player during his Fr and So seasons; 3rd, 4th liner, PK. As the scoring drought continued, he seemed to evaporate; racked up the DNP's.
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I can’t get anything to start. I click play and nothing happens.
                              I've had trouble a few times after uploading a game and checking to make sure it processed, but not multiple games at the same time. What games have you tried? Also, did you close the tab to the drive and then open it again?

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-19-2020, 08:59 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

And a very nice steal it was. After the next commercial break NESN showed the play again and Bob Norton commented on it and mentioned Preston was from Arlington. And moments after Preston's shot there was this line, "now John Matterazzo throws it behind the net," and then "Matterazzo couldn't keep it in." Matterazzo played in only 7 games for BU, also all during 1986-87. That's two players who barely played both being mentioned in less than a minute in the same game.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X