Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

I skimmed through that list. I remember when the Pot was on channel 68. Think as late as '98? And I think it was more than just the BU games. Not sure when NESN got in on the action. And of course much better crowds in general as you go back in time. Even for NCAA regionals.

I also encourage you to watch the beginning of that '95 Beanpot open. Wow, imagine announcers dressing like that today! Looks more like a wedding.

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I also encourage you to watch the beginning of that '95 Beanpot open. Wow, imagine announcers dressing like that today! Looks more like a wedding.
    If I’m not mistaken, that was the last Beanpot in the Garden and that’s why they did that.

If you watched highlights of the '95 national championship game win over Maine--25 years ago today--or the full game on Sean's google drive, the chronicle of that "triple crown" season, written by Mark Hurlman, is a nice complement. https://terrierhockey2.blogspot.com/...t-busters.html

The '94-'95 team had incredible offensive depth. Two of the forwards on the third line, Jay Pandolfo and Shawn Bates, had significant NHL careers. They teamed with Mike Sylvia for the back-breaker in the championship game.
    Last edited by Rogie21; Yesterday at 09:48 PM.

I'm still annoyed about that penalty called on Mike Grier.
    Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Quote Originally Posted by wysi View Post
    I'm still annoyed about that penalty called on Mike Grier.
    It seemed like there was one of those in just about every game he played at BU.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

I skimmed through that list. I remember when the Pot was on channel 68. Think as late as '98? And I think it was more than just the BU games. Not sure when NESN got in on the action. And of course much better crowds in general as you go back in time. Even for NCAA regionals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    If Iím not mistaken, that was the last Beanpot in the Garden and thatís why they did that.
    Yes, Channel 68 televeised the Beanpot semifinals and final from 1995 through 2000. The earliest tapes I have are the '87 Beanpot, which was televised by NESN (semifinals and consolation game) and Channel 38 (championship game). I'm not sure if that continued for the next year or two, but by 1991 NESN was broadcasting both the semifinals and final. NESN got the rights back with the 2001 Beanpot and have been televising it since.

NESN has been rebroadcasting past championship games, but they are edited to fit into their 2 hour time slots. Right now NESN is showing the 2005 championship game in HD, which I'm recording as I only have it on tape in SD. I'm considering editing the two together, using the SD to put back in what NESN edited out of the rebroadcast.

And yes, 1995 was the final Beanpot held in the Boston Garden and that is why they wore tuxs. They wore regular suits the next five years it was on Channel 68.

BTW, I converted the all the '87 games and the '89 semifinals and I'm uploading them to my drive.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Anyone know the out of conference game for this coming season?

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by cridge View Post
    Anyone know the out of conference game for this coming season?
    At least going to NMU for two in October, going to MN for one in December.
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Quote Originally Posted by srsterrier View Post
    It seemed like there was one of those in just about every game he played at BU.
    Grier was called for 37 penalties in both his sophomore and junior years--many calls for "being big," which led Parker to tell him it was time to turn pro. While at BU, Grier became the poster boy for Mike Boyle's heralded "Body by Boyle" strength & conditioning program.

Grier's devastating open ice hit on Greg Callahan (??) during that '95 BP final.

Blackhawks!!!

I watched Game 2 of the 1990 NCCA Quarters from Munn Arena in East Lansing Michigan. (defkit was there!). Some observations:

- The lack of time and score on the screen is truly barbaric. And the announcers don't help by rarely updating either.
    - How great is the play-by-play dude's 'stache! (I wish I was smart enough to post a picture here.)
    - Dave Tomlinson was suspended for this game! Parker got into a nose-to-nose screaming match with the ref at the end of Game 1!
    - The team looked lost in the first period and was down 1-0 on MSU's first shot of the game (on a mini-breakaway). Passing was terrible and the game had zero flow.
    - Bryan Smolinksi (Who had a nice pro career. His first three seasons with the Bruins.) got tossed for spearing! This 5 minute major woke up BU
    - Kip Miller's stat line for the 1989-1990 season is jaw dropping. 48-50-98. My God.
    - Joe Sacco got a 10 minute misconduct for *****ing about a penalty call. (A call that was an absolute mugging. )
    - MSU had a player named Kerry Russell. Hee! (That one's for you Scarlet.)
    - Ron Mason never pulled his goalie at the end of a 5-3 game!? Did he think it was a total goals series? Did he not see the 2009 Terrier comeback? Oh, wait....
    - McEachern and Amonte were stupid fast.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Game 3 turns out. Go BU!
    It Happened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Yes, Channel 68 televeised the Beanpot semifinals and final from 1995 through 2000. The earliest tapes I have are the '87 Beanpot, which was televised by NESN (semifinals and consolation game) and Channel 38 (championship game). I'm not sure if that continued for the next year or two, but by 1991 NESN was broadcasting both the semifinals and final. NESN got the rights back with the 2001 Beanpot and have been televising it since.

NESN has been rebroadcasting past championship games, but they are edited to fit into their 2 hour time slots. Right now NESN is showing the 2005 championship game in HD, which I'm recording as I only have it on tape in SD. I'm considering editing the two together, using the SD to put back in what NESN edited out of the rebroadcast.

And yes, 1995 was the final Beanpot held in the Boston Garden and that is why they wore tuxs. They wore regular suits the next five years it was on Channel 68.

BTW, I converted the all the '87 games and the '89 semifinals and I'm uploading them to my drive.

Sean
    Sean, do you happen to have the 2001 and/or the 2004 Beanpot Final?

Thread Information