Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Curry replaced Karson Gillespie halfway through the Michigan game at the Lefty McFadden Invitational and barely left the goal crease the rest of his time at BU. He played in 105 of the next 117 games, starting 104 of them and was only pulled in 4 games, one due to an injury, IIRC.

Sean
    Trivia question - One of the games Curry sat out, while injured, was BU's first round victory over BC in the 2005 (?) Beanpot. Who was the victorious substitute?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      Trivia question - One of the games Curry sat out, while injured, was BU's first round victory over BC in the 2005 (?) Beanpot. Who was the victorious substitute?
      36 saves for Stephen Siwiec in the 2-1 win. Both goals scored by John LaLiberte.
      https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/box...05/bu-bc.shtml
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        Over #1 BC at the time.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
          36 saves for Stephen Siwiec in the 2-1 win. Both goals scored by John LaLiberte.
          A little research reveals that Stephan has a PhD in Clinical Psychology.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            Siwiec came to BU as the backup to Sean Fields in 2002-03. He was given the chance to be the starter in the first game of the Lefty McFadden Invitational, but Miami scored 5 goals on 26 shots. The next day Karson Gillespie gave up 7 goals on 19 shots in just 29:17 before Curry replaced him and stopped all 12 shots he faced. Stephen got 3 more starts in November and played well in the first two, before giving up 7 goals on 22 shots at CC in just 40 minutes. That was it for him until he came in to replace the injured Curry for the third period against Merrimack on 27 January, stopping all 8 shots he faced to preserve the victory. He started the next four games and had a 2.04 GAA and a 0.930 save percentage. That was the end of his career as a starter, as he only played in 3 games as a senior, coming in as relief for a pulled Curry one and in a mop-up role in the HE semifinal and NCAA regional semifinal blowouts.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              “He may not be a #1 goalie, but he is our #1 goalie.”
              "Good on rice, bad on ice"
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                Amen to this! Chris Drury was a 4th line freshman on the 1994-1995 team. I mean, come on! #Top4TerrierEver

Deep, talented, smart. Great leadership, great buy-in. Size, strength, skating ability. They had it all. Though I still want to know what the **** happened in the 1994 National Championship game.
                One of the worst days ever. We lost a close family friend that morning, and then the shellacking that night. Awful.
                Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Amen to this! Chris Drury was a 4th line freshman on the 1994-1995 team. I mean, come on! #Top4TerrierEver

Deep, talented, smart. Great leadership, great buy-in. Size, strength, skating ability. They had it all. Though I still want to know what the **** happened in the 1994 National Championship game.
                  I was riding the elevator down in the hotel on the afternoon of that 94 Championship Game that day when it stopped on a floor and in walks Jack Parker. It was just me and him as we rode down to the lobby. I said hi and asked if the team was ready for tonight. His reply was a less than confident "I hope so.." Not the answer I was expecting...neither was the later result.

Comment

• Originally posted by wysi View Post
                    One of the worst days ever. We lost a close family friend that morning, and then the shellacking that night. Awful.
                    I’m sorry for your loss and that you had such a bad day. I also had an awful day on the day of a BU game. It wasn’t a playoff game, but on 13 February 1998 I woke up and went to use the bathroom and shower, however the toilet had backed up and there was water all over the floor. My father said he would take care of it, so I dressed and went to work without showering. After work I took the T to BU where I met my wife at WBA and we had dinner before the game. I was expecting a win as BU was playing well and was on a 7 game win streak, however Lowell took it to the Terriers that night, winning 5-2. When the game was over we drove home to find no lights on, which was unusual. After turning on the porch light I saw a note from a neighbor asking to call him. We went into the house and my father wasn’t there, but there were 3 messages on the answering machine: one from another neighbor, one from the police and one from my aunt. It turned out that after cleaning up the bathroom my father felt ill and had a neighbor drive him to the hospital ER. He had a list of emergency numbers in his pocket, but the ER staff didn’t go through his pockets. The hospital didn’t have my work numbers already in their files, so he passed away in the afternoon and I remained oblivious until about 11:00 pm that night. I didn’t get much sleep that night, especially as I kept thinking what if? My father had a compromised immune system, so did his cleaning up the bathroom cause his death? Why didn’t I clean it up? Would my having done so prevented his death (at least that day)?

Sean
                    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-07-2020, 11:00 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      I’m sorry for your loss and that you had such a bad day. I also had an awful day on the day of a BU game. It wasn’t a playoff game, but on 13 February 1998 I woke up and went to use the bathroom and shower, however the toilet had backed up and there was water all over the floor. My father said he would take care of it, so I dressed and went to work without showering. After work I took the T to BU where I met my wife at WBA and we had dinner before the game. I was expecting a win as BU was playing well and was on a 9 game win streak, however Lowell took it to the Terriers that night, winning 5-2. When the game was over we drove home to find no lights on, which was unusual. After turning on the porch light I saw a note from a neighbor asking to call him. We went into the house and my father wasn’t there, but there were 3 messages on the answering machine: one from another neighbor, one from the police and one from my aunt. It turned out that after cleaning up the bathroom my father felt ill and had a neighbor drive him to the hospital ER. He had a list of emergency numbers in his pocket, but the ER staff didn’t go through his pockets. The hospital didn’t have my work numbers already in their files, so he passed away in the afternoon and I remained oblivious until about 11:00 pm that night. I didn’t get much sleep that night, especially as I kept thinking what if? My father had a compromised immune system, so did his cleaning up the bathroom cause his death? Why didn’t I clean it up? Would my having done so prevented his death (at least that day)?

Sean
                      That's a really tragic story. I'm very sorry for your loss, Sean.
                      Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
                        That's a really tragic story. I'm very sorry for your loss, Sean.
                        Well, I never thought it so much a tragedy as a black comedy:
                        1. He told me he would clean up the mess in the bathroom, even though he probably shouldn't have
                        2. I let him
                        3. When he felt ill he called a neighbor to take him to the hospital, not 911
                        4. He had the neighbor drive him to the hospital he had gone to for 40 years even though it took twice as long than if he had gone to a closer hospital
                        5. When he arrived at the hospital he was no longer lucid and no one there went through his pockets looking for a list of contacts
                        6. They eventually tracked down and called one of his nephews and then his sister, but neither had my or my sisters work numbers

I'm also a big Monty Python fan so I tend to always look on the bright side of life:

I got all the arraignments done the next day so we went to the game at Tsongas that night and saw BU win 5-1, the start of another 7 game win streak (I think that 9-1 shellacking of Merrimack at end the regular season was the worst thing for the team ).

Sean
                        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-08-2020, 05:49 AM.

BU Hockey Games
                        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I'm uploading four more games to my Google drive:

1996 NCAA Quarterfinal BU vs Clarkson
                          2005 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs BC
                          2006 Beanpot Semifinal BU vs Harvard
                          2006 Beanpot Semifinal BC vs NU

I've also replaced the edited version of the 2005 Beanpot Championship with a complete version which uses my SVHS SD copy to fill in what was edited out of the HD rebroadcast. If anyone watches it please let me know what you think.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

If pomichter stays for his sr year, who doesn’t dress?
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

It Happened!!!!

Comment

Coach Parker believed in most players only playing one position (once he decided what that position was) and Pomichter was a left winger, so he would have taken one of those spots away. For the 1994-95 season Coach Parker used 11 different players at left wing, with Chris O'Sullivan (40), Billy Pierce (33), Kenny Rausch (32), Bob Lachance (23) and Jay Pandolfo (20 - injury) playing the most games at the position. O'Sullivan, Pierce and Pandolfo played every game at the position, while Rausch played 32 of 37 and Lachance played 23 of 38 at the position. Lachance played right wing the other 15 games that season, as well as 61 of 63 games his freshman and sophomore seasons, so he would likely have remained a right winger. Coach Parker used 9 different players at right wing, with Mike Grier (37), Mike Prendergast (37), Matt Wright (35), Chris Drury (20) and Bob Lachance (15) playing the most games at that position. So Lachance would likely have just taken Drury's games at right wing. Drury played 6 games at left wing and a dozen at center, but Jacques Joubert (40), Steve Thornton (39), Shawn Bates (38) and Mike Sylvia (27) were the team's four regular centers. So, if you only consider forwards I think that Drury would have been the odd player out, but I also think he would have dressed for about 3/4 of the games. Besides the 18 games he played at left wing and center he could have dressed in place of Peter Donatelli (3) and John Hynes (7), which would have brought his total games dressed to 28.

However, Coach Parker moved Chris O'Sullivan from left defense to left wing for the 1994-95 season. If Pomichter had returned Coach Parker may have left O'Sullivan on defense and Drury would still have gotten his 39 games. However, then one of the d-men would not have dressed. Since O'Sullivan played left defense, and right defense was solid with Jon Coleman (40), Doug Wood (38) and Rich Brennan (32), one of the left d-men would have likely lost their spot. Coach Parker used 5 player at left defense: Kaj Linna (37), Chris Kelleher (33), Shane Johnson (26), Jeff Kealty (22) and Kenny Rausch (1). It seems likely that if O'Sullivan had stayed on defense Kealty would have been the player to not dress, while Kelleher and Johnson would have each played fewer games.

Sean
                                Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-08-2020, 09:05 AM.

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X