Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 DIII Coaching Changes

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    A know a lot of schools, especially state schools, have a hiring freeze right now. For obvious reasons.
    Not DIII, but our Gopher athletic department is doing all they can to cut expenses, including voluntary salary cuts for the AD and the highest paid coaches. If they don't have a football season, all bets are off.

https://www.startribune.com/coyle-fi...uts/570477472/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

A know a lot of schools, especially state schools, have a hiring freeze right now. For obvious reasons.
      You would think that would impact assistant coaches or GA’s but the school still has a full team of players attending in the fall. I think they would need someone running / overseeing that group?

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
        You would think that would impact assistant coaches or GA’s but the school still has a full team of players attending in the fall. I think they would need someone running / overseeing that group?
        No doubt. But when a hiring freeze takes place at a state institution, it's broad, until someone can plead the case that not hiring is worse off than hiring someone.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

No doubt. But when a hiring freeze takes place at a state institution, it's broad, until someone can plead the case that not hiring is worse off than hiring someone.
          I guess the good news is that schools like Plymouth and NEC are moving ahead with hiring their coaches:

http://athletics.plymouth.edu/sports...20200603kyrstv
          https://athletics.nec.edu/news/2020/...key-coach.aspx

Comment

I guess the good news is that schools like Plymouth and NEC are moving ahead with hiring their coaches:

http://athletics.plymouth.edu/sports...20200603kyrstv
            https://athletics.nec.edu/news/2020/...key-coach.aspx
            It says the new guy at Plymouth played at Gustavus Adolphus College except he's not listed on any roster ever except their baseball team for his first 3 years as a pitcher. Awesome! He played high school hockey in Minnesota and that's the State of Hockey so I guess that's good enough. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              It says the new guy at Plymouth played at Gustavus Adolphus College except he's not listed on any roster ever except their baseball team for his first 3 years as a pitcher. Awesome! He played high school hockey in Minnesota and that's the State of Hockey so I guess that's good enough. Lol
              He also taught in the exercise science field so I would t be surprised if that played into the decision. It would certainly help offset at least part of his salary.
              If that’s the case it’s really too bad. Beautiful facilities and no real commitment to the program.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Admittedly I am new to this forum, however it would appear to me that playing career doesn't have much leverage when talking about a coach years out of college. Looks like he graduated 8 years ago..... Looks like his coaching background is strong. You seem to have missed out on that info...

Comment

He also taught in the exercise science field so I would t be surprised if that played into the decision. It would certainly help offset at least part of his salary.
                  If that’s the case it’s really too bad. Beautiful facilities and no real commitment to the program.
                  Wouldn't that be a good hire by the school then if they can limit costs? If he will be teaching....but he could also not be and they hired him for his coaching experience.

Again, I am new to this so maybe I am out to lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyFanFreak View Post

Wouldn't that be a good hire by the school then if they can limit costs? If he will be teaching....but he could also not be and they hired him for his coaching experience.

Again, I am new to this so maybe I am out to lunch.
                    Coaches at many D3 schools, especially state schools, are technically listed as instructors, not coaches (and sometimes even have to teach classes). And their salaries are set by the pay scale of instructors. The SUNY schools operate that way.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Coaches at many D3 schools, especially state schools, are technically listed as instructors, not coaches (and sometimes even have to teach classes). And their salaries are set by the pay scale of instructors. The SUNY schools operate that way.
                      is that a way of providing a higher salary? I know other schools assign "secondary" tasks like managing the transportation for all varsity teams....or game day ops for a handful of teams during the hockey off-season. not sure if each approve drives a different pay grade?

Comment

is that a way of providing a higher salary? I know other schools assign "secondary" tasks like managing the transportation for all varsity teams....or game day ops for a handful of teams during the hockey off-season. not sure if each approve drives a different pay grade?
                        Or lower salaries, depending on how high of a profile coach you are trying to get...

There are some of the exceptions you talk about. For the longest time Buffalo State men's hockey was a part time coaching job, so it also including being a rink manager.

Some coaching positions might include also being an assistant SID (Potsdam's softball coach -- and former hockey player -- Jordan Ott had that dual role).
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Adrian is posting for a F/T assistant coach. I would take that as an indication that Kaylyn Schroka is moving on

Comment

I’m hearing Diane is stepping down/retiring at the end of this season and Mark has been tabbed to take over.
                            And this turns out to be true. Today, Oswego announced Mark Digby as the Interim Head Coach, replacing Coach Dillon after her 14th season at the helm.

My speculation is that he has an interim tag because they cannot execute SUNY's requirements for a permanent hire in the pandemic.

Comment

Kelly Rider leaves Northland to start up the program at Curry: https://www.curryathletics.com/sport...20200618xmymst

Comment

WNEU announced that Kristen Molina (Amherst '18) and Marykate Drinkwater (UNE '20) will join Katie Zimmerman's coaching staff as grad assistants and that Lauren Slebodnick (Cornell '14) will be the goaltending coach for the inaugural season.

Comment

Working...
                                X