Michaelis
    O'Connor
    Swayman
    Dugan
    Abruzzese
    Jason Cotton
    Sucese
    Kawaguchi

I tried to hit every conference. Don't know that voters will do the same. Might have reached on the freshman, but he put up big numbers.

Re: Hobey 10

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Wild guesses:
    Perunovich
    Leonard
    Michaelis
    O'Connor
    Swayman
    Dugan
    Abruzzese
    Jason Cotton
    Sucese
    Kawaguchi

I tried to hit every conference. Don't know that voters will do the same. Might have reached on the freshman, but he put up big numbers.
    Swayman will be a long shot, but he has been the GLUE for Maine all season long and has logged in all the starts and minutes, plus facing a on-slaught of rubber....either way just being mentioned is a honor. Will also be in the running for POY in Hockey East...has just signed a entry level deal with Boston.

Comment

Good list. As a Maine diehard, I would add Fossier to the list. Points alone is top 10. Had the “C” on uniform.
      $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
      Just win.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
        Good list. As a Maine diehard, I would add Fossier to the list. Points alone is top 10. Had the “C” on uniform.
        I watched him play a lot in the USHL with the Musketeers, so I’d love to see him make the 10. Had him on my list of 16 or 17, but thought my bias was over ranking him, so I left him out of the 10. (Note to my fellow Mav fans - Same thing on McKay, but I’d love to see him make it!)

Comment

I watched him play a lot in the USHL with the Musketeers, so I’d love to see him make the 10. Had him on my list of 16 or 17, but thought my bias was over ranking him, so I left him out of the 10. (Note to my fellow Mav fans - Same thing on McKay, but I’d love to see him make it!)
          Bias allowed, lol. As this year progressed he became one of those players who you noticed immediately when his shift came. Always made his linemates look better.
          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
          Just win.....

Comment

2019-2020 Hobey Baker Award Finalists
            Morgan Barron, Cornell
            Jason Cotton, Sacred Heart
            Jack Dugan, Providence
            David Farrance, Boston University
            Jordan Kawaguchi, North Dakota
            John Leonard, UMass
            Dryden McKay, Minnesota State
            Marc Michaelis, Minnesota State
            Scott Perunovich, UMD
            Jeremy Swayman, Maine

Comment

Wild guesses:
              Perunovich
              Leonard
              Michaelis
              O'Connor
              Swayman
              Dugan
              Abruzzese
              Jason Cotton
              Sucese
              Kawaguchi

Missed Barron, Farrance, and McKay. I thought Sucese was a bit of a reach, but I didn't think the Big would get shut out. I'm not surprised they left Abruzzese off, being a freshman from a team that didn't have a great year. I did think O'Connor would make it, though.
              Barron was a good pick by the committee; a season as good as Cornell's deserves some recognition for somebody. Farrance had a fine year, and was all the offense they had at times, but if he played at another school, I don't think he makes it. And obviously, I'm glad to see McKay recognized, but I thought they wouldn't put 2 Mavs in.

Comment

It's not clear to me that the award is more than a popularity contest of very good college hockey players.

Coaches make the nomination, utilizing certain criteria. However, it's not clear that there is a quantitative template to guide them with such that you could take a coach from a team in a certain conference, throw them into another team in another conference and have some reasonable certainty that they would vote very similarly.

Next anybody and their brother/sister get to vote using the same criteria as above, they likely have less information about the measurement guidelines and player performance against any guidelines than the coaches. A given team or conference could out-weight other votes to get their choices in. And as I understand it a single person could vote several times. And you can only vote if you have a Facebook account, so does that rational subsetting make it the Hobie Baker Facebook Award?

Then the final vote is from a "geographically balanced" 29 individuals. How is geographically balanced defined? 1 voter per every 130,000 square miles, which would be taking the USA area divided by 29. So Minnesota & North Dakota combined get 1 voter? New England gets 1/2 voter so you have to add in Pennsylvania & West Virginia to have 1 full voter and that voter could be from W. Virginia? Nevada & Idaho get 1 voter? ..........

I don't mean to downplay any player getting the award past, present, future. All are deserving under such process.
                Regardless, it appears to be a biased popularity award unless I am mistaken with what I stated here? But good luck to the candidates........

Comment

I’m shocked and saddened Hunter Shepard didn’t make the cut. First goalie to win back to back titles since the 50s, came back for his senior year, and I feel nobody was cheated out of so much as he was by having the seasoncancelled
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                    I’m shocked and saddened Hunter Shepard didn’t make the cut. First goalie to win back to back titles since the 50s, came back for his senior year, and I feel nobody was cheated out of so much as he was by having the seasoncancelled
                    There’s a group of seniors in Mankato who would like a word....
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      There’s a group of seniors in Mankato who would like a word....
                      Along with seniors in Grand Forks, Bemidji, Tempe,..........

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                        Along with seniors in Grand Forks, Bemidji, Tempe,..........
                        I understand your point, and seniors everywhere had a lot ripped away from them, but those seniors in Mankato beat each of those teams you alluded to, have never won an NCAA game, and had guys turn down pro contracts for one last kick at the can.

On the flip side, Shepherd has won titles, and while gunning for a three peat is a massive loss, I’d argue the guys that haven’t won a tournament game and turned down substantial money to try and do so lost more.

I am in no way, shape, or form biased, either.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Missed Barron, Farrance, and McKay. I thought Sucese was a bit of a reach, but I didn't think the Big would get shut out. I'm not surprised they left Abruzzese off, being a freshman from a team that didn't have a great year. I did think O'Connor would make it, though.
                          Barron was a good pick by the committee; a season as good as Cornell's deserves some recognition for somebody. Farrance had a fine year, and was all the offense they had at times, but if he played at another school, I don't think he makes it. And obviously, I'm glad to see McKay recognized, but I thought they wouldn't put 2 Mavs in.
                          I'm obviously biased, but I think you are underselling Farrance. Led the nation in points for a d-man. Most points for a BU d-man since the dawn of Hockey East, a list that includes among others, NHLers: Tom Poti, Kevin Shattenkirk, Matt Grzelcyk, Charlie McAvoy, Matt Gilroy, Dante Fabbro, and Adam Clendening.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I don't know why but I have a feeling the winner comes out of the west this year, even though only four of the six are from western teams. These things tend to go in streaks, and we've had a string of eastern winners. Just a hunch. I'll go with Perunovich, with Kawaguchi as a dark horse. I think the Mankato guys might split some votes.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              I'm obviously biased, but I think you are underselling Farrance. Led the nation in points for a d-man. Most points for a BU d-man since the dawn of Hockey East, a list that includes among others, NHLers: Tom Poti, Kevin Shattenkirk, Matt Grzelcyk, Charlie McAvoy, Matt Gilroy, Dante Fabbro, and Adam Clendening.
                              Oh, a fine player, no doubt, and a good choice for the top 10. I just would have had him a little farther down the list, since D men usually don’t place high unless the team is a title contender.

Comment

Working...
                              X