• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19: Do What Now?

She's committed to the hoax.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      They also have significantly fewer hospital and ICU beds.

Pretty easy to demonize them, they give us lots of options. From Florida reps going out and partying or wearing gas masks, churches staying open in defiance of orders, politicians rejecting healthcare funding in Missouri, claiming this is a hoax, etc.

All you have to do is look at testing rates per capita. Blue states are way ahead even if you take away California, Washington, and New York. The lone bright spot has been Ohio. Their governor has been way way ahead of the curve.
      Except, when I did the math, Ohio is testing only 1 out of every 21,234 citizens, good for third worst, behind Alabama (every 44,954) and Maryland (every 24,961). I admit I’m guilty of praising DeWine too, as he has been ahead of the curve on a lot. He still deserves credit, but how is testing any state’s fault? How are we blaming particular states when the tests are just now finally getting sent out in great enough quantities, with great enough materials, to actually allow states to test?
      Anyways, the best is Washington, testing 1 out of every 367 citizens. 2nd is New Mexico, 1 out of every 551, and Maine is third, 1 out of every 560.

I used politico (I know it’s behind Johns Hopkins but close enough) and 2019 population estimate from Wikipedia, with slight rounding, like 7,890,913 becoming 7.9 million. I’ll try to finish the analysis shortly with red vs. blue states.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        This has nothing to do with demonizing. It has to do with record on markers to do with outcomes for multiple chronic illnesses and availability of care. Some southern states have numbers that are worse than parts of Africa. This has been true since I was in Grad School back in the 80s. Sadly it hasn't changed. Right from the beginning it was shown that the rate of fatality is dependent on availability of care. (Think Italy- they are out of beds, supplies and are now letting people die who may have been saved because they don't have the stuff to save them). The South doesn't show well before the epidemic. It won't show well after.
        Right now, in this moment, states who have amazing healthcare systems and healthy people are getting overwhelmed. Are we blaming New York for running out of supplies or tests, etc.? No.
        Look, we’re talking past each other, and it’s no big thing, it’s just a message board. I don’t disagree the South isn’t going to get creamed by this, but so are wonderful, progressive states with robust healthcare systems like New York. We’re ALL suffering from this, not just southern states.

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post
          Right now, in this moment, states who have amazing healthcare systems and healthy people are getting overwhelmed. Are we blaming New York for running out of supplies or tests, etc.? No.
          Look, we’re talking past each other, and it’s no big thing, it’s just a message board. I don’t disagree the South isn’t going to get creamed by this, but so are wonderful, progressive states with robust healthcare systems like New York. We’re ALL suffering from this, not just southern states.
          I don't look at as blame so much as failure to invest in healthcare period. It really isn't a matter of passing judgment but predicting outcome. Wuhan showed that they had a much higher rate of bad outcome because the healthcare system was overwhelmed. The outlying counties fared better. In areas of highly concentrated population the outcomes will be bad. In areas without a system it will be bad. In areas with high comorbidity it will be bad. The South has a few strikes against- less beds and more comorbidity.

I wasn't looking at it in number of tests being done. I missed that was what you were doing. I hadn't really considered doing that. I was thinking more of fatalities and deaths in relation to positive tests. Not sure its going to be a great measure to look at ratio of test/positive results/fatalities. The test availability os to variable. The states that were first hit didn't really have access and there are still states that don't have access.

My immediate thought was the higher numbers positive/test were sure screening in the right people to test. At this point test/fatalities may be that the tests being done are screening in more accurately for probable disease and the places less positives are testing with less stringent protocols and testing more who are likely to be negative. Of course the way to prevent is to figure out disease burden by testing everyone but really not many places capable of that yet.

Edited because I was incoherent!
          Last edited by leswp1; 03-20-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post
            The difference is, they voted for it. We didn't.

Comment

Good news coming out of the UK. The Ebola anti-viral, remdesivir, is showing good signs of beating the virus. Some with next day improvement.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                Good news coming out of the UK. The Ebola anti-viral, remdesivir, is showing good signs of beating the virus. Some with next day improvement.
                Just in time for Gilead to jack up the price of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  The canals in Venice have swans, dolphins and other animals swimming in them because there is no boats.
                  Those poor animals. The canals in Venice are an open sewer.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Not all of them voted for it. Not all of them know what they were voting for. Not all of them knew better. TThe system down there is shameful but if that is what you have had your whole life how do you know to want more? I use my current town as example. They have the worst education in the state. Literally pay the least per pupil except 1 town. Can't tell you how many of them have no idea what good schools and funding look like. They think striving for that is uppity. They don't even know they should want more. I can see that being the same in other places for things like what they expect for medical care

Comment

As les said, not all of us did. Honestly, the sooner most you folks realize that the better. Plenty of us out here fighting on the front lines so to speak.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Of course it will.

Senate to miss midnight deadline for stimulus deal

Comment

Hearing rumors through the grapevine that the borders will be completely sealed (no one in, no one out) to all non-essential travel on Monday, possibly all commercial flights ordered grounded (including domestic), and at least two weeks of a nationwide lockdown.

If this gets legs, expect another run on the big box stores this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            I use my current town as example. They have the worst education in the state. Literally pay the least per pupil except 1 town. Can't tell you how many of them have no idea what good schools and funding look like. They think striving for that is uppity. They don't even know they should want more. I can see that being the same in other places for things like what they expect for medical care
                            Then they can't be helped.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              I don't look at as blame so much as failure to invest in healthcare period. It really isn't a matter of passing judgment but predicting outcome. Wuhan showed that they had a much higher rate of bad outcome because the healthcare system was overwhelmed. The outlying counties fared better. In areas of highly concentrated population the outcomes will be bad. In areas without a system it will be bad. In areas with high comorbidity it will be bad. The South has a few strikes against- less beds and more comorbidity.

I wasn't looking at it in number of tests being done. I missed that was what you were doing. I hadn't really considered doing that. I was thinking more of fatalities and deaths in relation to positive tests. Not sure its going to be a great measure to look at ratio of test/positive results/fatalities. The test availability os to variable. The states that were first hit didn't really have access and there are still states that don't have access.

My immediate thought was the higher numbers positive/test were sure screening in the right people to test. At this point test/fatalities may be that the tests being done are screening in more accurately for probable disease and the places less positives are testing with less stringent protocols and testing more who are likely to be negative. Of course the way to prevent is to figure out disease burden by testing everyone but really not many places capable of that yet.

Edited because I was incoherent!
                              Not many places are capable yet because the federal govt. *******ed us. I think the following numbers would be better for everyone if, you know, there were enough tests and materials to go around. I agree with basically everything you said though. Anyways, 23 blue states, 27 red states. I considered Iowa red, Virginia blue. Wisconsin and Michigan blue because I trust y’all to build the blue wall again.

Every blue state is averaging 1 test per 3,955 people.
                              Every red state is averaging 1 test every 7,610 people, almost double.

Significant difference. 19 states kept it under 1 test per 2,000 people; 24 couldn’t keep it under 4,000. I’m sure population densities, access to healthcare, etc., etc. etc. all play a role. Thanks to dx for giving me something to do for the past couple hours of my shift.
                              Last edited by psych; 03-20-2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Hearing rumors through the grapevine that the borders will be completely sealed (no one in, no one out) to all non-essential travel on Monday, possibly all commercial flights ordered grounded (including domestic), and at least two weeks of a nationwide lockdown.

If this gets legs, expect another run on the big box stores this weekend.
                                I have a few days off in the next couple of months. My company wanted to know if I was going out of state, and if I was flying. The answer was no to both of them. And given MN's semi-shutdown status at this point (and I think they are going to go the shelter/home route) I doubt I'll be traveling at all.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X