This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: COVID Resource thread- places to get resources, information or help

Remember when this thread was about COVID-19 resources and not discussion or debate? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I was just going to post that. This thread isn't supposed to be for debate. Just for places to find facts and also fun things that are free

Comment

This is actually relevant to things that were being discussed earlier, but it is also raw information in it's own right:

The CDC has determined that the 95% confidence interval for the r0 value of COVID-19 is 3.8 - 8.9, with a median value of 5.7. LINK

I believe even the lower bound of 3.8 is higher than what was previously thought.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
          This is actually relevant to things that were being discussed earlier, but it is also raw information in it's own right:

The CDC has determined that the 95% confidence interval for the r0 value of COVID-19 is 3.8 - 8.9, with a median value of 5.7. LINK

I believe even the lower bound of 3.8 is higher than what was previously thought.
          An 8.9 upper bound is insanely high. It's higher than polio (7.0).

The upper bound for the 1918 pandemic is 2.8.
          Last edited by Kepler; 04-16-2020, 12:26 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think the easiest way to understand Covid, if you want to compare it to the Flu, is by time and numbers.

2018/2019 Flu killed 34k over the entire flu season. In three months Covid 19 killed 100k.

It spreads faster and is more deadly by 2.5 to 6 times that of flu.

If that only sounds "slightly worse" than the flu to you, so be it.

Last edited by DonaldD; 08-01-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
              Those numbers I posted are simply facts. It's odd that you've taken such a confrontational tone toward them.

I think I was clear on why I posted them. I even said they weren't intended to diminish what's going on with Covid-19. I really do think people are completely unaware of how deadly the flu is every year. I think if they were aware, there might be slightly less of the overwrought reaction we're seeing now.

I'd also point out something else related to those numbers. If we social distanced, closed schools, and shut down business during every flu season, October to March of every year, we would save thousands of lives; literally thousands of lives every year. That too is simply a fact. But we don't do it. Why?
              Simple answer, E.J. - election year politics. I've said it all along, now I have zero (0) doubt.

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, here's a link to the CDC's rolling 3-day average of US deaths. Data tells a FAR different story than the narrative being saturated in the MSM, which has moved the goal posts for the dozenth (or so) time to focus on testing vs. deaths:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...-3-day-average

Funny how the "second peak" in late June got no mention - certainly not compared to more recent data, which is significantly down from a month ago. Wonder why???

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I expect all these very dead people to resurrect right after the election and it will magically go away. That would be good because then the handful of people I know who have died, the more than handful of people I know who got really sick and the others who got sick but have not managed to fully recover will miraculously feel better and best of all maybe the truly stupid people will stop posting foolish things and go back to doing what ever it is they usually do (which one can tell is not epidemiology, medicine, or anything to do with healthcare).

Comment

There is a thread for posting opinions. This is a thread for posting resources.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    There is a thread for posting opinions. This is a thread for posting resources.
                    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...-3-day-averagehttps://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...-3-day-average

Only on this thread, in this forum, would a data-driven graph be considered "opinion".

Thanks for the amazing insight, Karen ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...-3-day-averagehttps://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...-3-day-average

Only on this thread, in this forum, would a data-driven graph be considered "opinion".

Ignoring the unnecessary ad hominem, I'm not sure what planet you're on that you can look at that chart and not see an upward trajectory.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

The place to act like an a55hole and insult people is on the thread for discussion. I know most of the people put you on ignore in there but don't pollute this thread with your nastiness.
                        This is supposed be a thread to find resources to get help etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                          Ignoring the unnecessary ad hominem, I'm not sure what planet you're on that you can look at that chart and not see an upward trajectory.
                          Yes, good point. Down by over 50% over the last three days is definitely an "upward trajectory".

I'm here on Earth with two feet on terra firma. I'm guessing your head is planted in Uranus.

Comment

Yes, good point. Down by over 50% over the last three days is definitely an "upward trajectory".

I'm here on Earth with two feet on terra firma. I'm guessing your head is planted in Uranus.
                            When the peaks and troughs of those zig-zagging lines are higher than the peaks and troughs of earlier in the graph, that’s an upward trajectory. It’s scary to face reality, but there you have it.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Curious of those who've gone through it, when do you make the decision to get tested? Were you in severe discomfort, or just suspicious when feeling not so great?

I'm having some mild symptoms, either just a GI infection, or it could be COVID-19, when reading the list on the CDC's site. There are just so many symptoms that it's tough to be comfortable with a decision one way or the other.

Comment

Go get tested. Why wait?
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X