This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe 19: now in 3D

A friend asked me an interesting question today, one for which I didn't really have an answer. It's something I'm going to have to think about.

The question is this. What's the number? Let's say that with all of the "medicine" the U.S. is taking right now (massive closings of schools and businesses, complete economic meltdown in the country, social and economic cost associated with mass layoffs, interrupted educations, etc...) we end up with a death toll of say 30,000, nine or ten times what China has experienced thus far.

Is it worth it?

Let's say that without the medicine, the death toll would be 150,000 in this country. Is the medicine worth it?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      A friend asked me an interesting question today, one for which I didn't really have an answer. It's something I'm going to have to think about.

The question is this. What's the number? Let's say that with all of the "medicine" the U.S. is taking right now (massive closings of schools and businesses, complete economic meltdown in the country, social and economic cost associated with mass layoffs, interrupted educations, etc...) we end up with a death toll of say 30,000, nine or ten times what China has experienced thus far.

Is it worth it?

Let's say that without the medicine, the death toll would be 150,000 in this country. Is the medicine worth it?
      Without the medicine, I think the death toll is in the millions. 1% fatality (low estimate) of 50% of Americans infected = 1.5 million, not 150,000, which is more of a flu-like mortality. I'll keep the health of my family, some of whom are well under 70, but have underlying health problems, over anything that can be made up in the future, including billions of dollars of worth lost and education time lost. If my Dad gets it, he has a ~15% chance of dying, and that's before adding in the underlying conditions. I'll take my Dad over his money.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        US passed 44 confirmed cases...
        You mean deaths, right?
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
          Without the medicine, I think the death toll is in the millions. 1% fatality (low estimate) of 50% of Americans infected = 1.5 million, not 150,000, which is more of a flu-like mortality. I'll keep the health of my family, some of whom are well under 70, but have underlying health problems, over anything that can be made up in the future, including billions of dollars of worth lost and education time lost. If my Dad gets it, he has a ~15% chance of dying, and that's before adding in the underlying conditions. I'll take my Dad over his money.
          I’m not going to argue about the morbidity rate, because I don’t think anyone knows. But the virus has found its way to all corners of the globe and 7000+ have died. If this country ends up with twenty times that number, was it worth it?
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            You mean deaths, right?
            I think he meant 4400...

Death toll is now 85.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Not gonna deal with hypotheticals.Gonna deal with the here and now.

Maybe you should too.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                I think he meant 4400...

Death toll is now 85.
                Probably be 6-7000 tomorrow if it follows Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

What is the toll with with medicine?
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-16-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Why don't you answer that?
                    As I indicated in my original post, I don’t really know. If it was psych’s 1.5 million, yeah I’d say it’s worth it. 150,000, not so sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      What is the toll with with medicine?
                      Not sure what it’ll be. I personally think we’ll see less than 20,000 here in the US, but that’s obviously an uneducated guess. That actually might be an interesting poll for Cafe.

Comment

Are restaurants really staying open for takeout? I’d think a lot of them make their money on alcohol sales so curious

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          Are restaurants really staying open for takeout? I’d think a lot of them make their money on alcohol sales so curious
                          IIRC it's meant to give extra support to grocery stores - another avenue for people to stay fed.
                          Last edited by Twitch Boy; 03-16-2020, 06:22 PM.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            IIRC it's meant to give extra support to grocery stores - another avenue for people to stay fed.
                            Something like 1 out of 12 private sector employees work in restaurants. You put all of them out of a job today and Covid 19 is the least of your problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              Stop & Shop (Northeast) is having senior citizen hours from 6 - 730 every morning.

Hopefully their sister company, Giant (Mid Atlantic), will do the same thing.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Something like 1 out of 12 private sector employees work in restaurants. You put all of them out of a job today and Covid 19 is the least of your problems.
                                I agree, I was wondering if owners could afford to keep open on delivery alone

Comment

Working...
                                X