No announcement yet.

2020 NCAA Hockey Tournament - What If: A Simulation of the 2019-2020 Postseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 NCAA Hockey Tournament - What If: A Simulation of the 2019-2020 Postseason

Originally posted by jersey sioux View Post
    Shirtless guy,
    Purple cows are a great team and should have been number one over Cornell when the Sioux weren't number one. I think what is significant is that the old WCHA was the best in the land. What is the future of the WCHA? I for one, would welcome the cows to NCHC. I saw the cows in Princeton a few years back. My friend reffed the game. Princeton still plays in the Hobey Baker arena. See it if you can! The Sioux are destined to win after not making the tournament the last two years. I'm betting the game will have 70 percent green in the stands.
    Carry on
    Go Sioux!
    My comment was for the fact that they are the Fighting Hawks now and have been for how long now?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: 2020 NCAA Hockey Tournament - What If: A Simulation of the 2019-2020 Postseason

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      My comment was for the fact that they are the Fighting Hawks now and have been for how long now?
      It's like Tech fans who are still butt hurt over the NCHC (despite the Huskies being the biggest conference changing divas in the history of college hockey), or Mel Pearson going back home to the Wolverines...it takes time to move on.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        It's like Tech fans who are still butt hurt over the NCHC (despite the Huskies being the biggest conference changing divas in the history of college hockey), or Mel Pearson going back home to the Wolverines...it takes time to move on.
        you're right there are plenty that are still butt hurt over both and we deserve that criticism. I'm over it.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          you're right there are plenty that are still butt hurt over both and we deserve that criticism. I'm over it.
          That's good. And there are a lot of North Dakota fans who will cheer for the Hawks and wear Hawks gear, and have accepted that we are no longer called the Sioux. I have accepted it, and generally refer to the team as the Hawks. However, it is important to remember that: (1) the Sioux nickname was a part of North Dakota's (both the state's and the school's) hockey culture for its entire existence up until the last decade; (2) the Sioux logo/jersey was arguably the greatest in the history of the sport; and (3) a lot of fans grew up with and developed a love for that culture/logo/jersey. Now, I don't join in the "Sioux Forever" chants because I think it is important to move forward and not be stuck in the past. However, I also don't get mad at people chanting it or referring to the team as the Sioux. The Sioux name is and will always be a part of the program's history and culture, and, for the reasons discussed above (and I'm sure several others that I am not mentioning here) there will be a segment of the fanbase that will always refer to the team as the Sioux.

But if you want to take pot shots at those people, have fun. Just remember that those people had something very special taken away from them, and just because you might not understand what that meant, doesn't mean that it wasn't real.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            That's good. And there are a lot of North Dakota fans who will cheer for the Hawks and wear Hawks gear, and have accepted that we are no longer called the Sioux. I have accepted it, and generally refer to the team as the Hawks. However, it is important to remember that: (1) the Sioux nickname was a part of North Dakota's (both the state's and the school's) hockey culture for its entire existence up until the last decade; (2) the Sioux logo/jersey was arguably the greatest in the history of the sport; and (3) a lot of fans grew up with and developed a love for that culture/logo/jersey. Now, I don't join in the "Sioux Forever" chants because I think it is important to move forward and not be stuck in the past. However, I also don't get mad at people chanting it or referring to the team as the Sioux. The Sioux name is and will always be a part of the program's history and culture, and, for the reasons discussed above (and I'm sure several others that I am not mentioning here) there will be a segment of the fanbase that will always refer to the team as the Sioux.

But if you want to take pot shots at those people, have fun. Just remember that those people had something very special taken away from them, and just because you might not understand what that meant, doesn't mean that it wasn't real.
            It will eventually go away.

Way way back when I was attending then MSC, we were known as the Indians. Nobody refers to us as the Indians anymore. I have kept my Intramural MSC Softball championship trophy which has the Indian in fighting mode with the hatchet.

Now! GO MAVS

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
              It will eventually go away.

Way way back when I was attending then MSC, we were known as the Indians. Nobody refers to us as the Indians anymore. I have kept my Intramural MSC Softball championship trophy which has the Indian in fighting mode with the hatchet.

Now! GO MAVS
              Eventually...but probably not for multiple decades. Again, the Sioux nickname was not simply a nickname. I admittedly do not know enough about Mankato's history with the Indians nickname. However, as stated previously, the Sioux nickname was a part of the state's and the school's hockey culture for 60+ years. North Dakota won a ton of hockey games, including conference titles, tournament titles, and national championships, under that nickname, and playing "Sioux Hockey." There is a reason why most of the players currently on the team still refer to it as playing Sioux hockey. Don't get me wrong, I understand that most fans of other programs simply can't understand the significance of the name/culture to the state and school, but, I would just reiterate that the people who loved it the most had something very special taken away from them.

That being said...we have bigger fish to fry tonight!

NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
              #1 North Dakota Fighting Hawks vs. #1 Minnesota State Mavericks

Puck drop in about 15 minutes. Live updates beginning...NOW!!
              North Dakota

Comment

Let's go Sioux!
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

No surprise for the Mavericks. Coach Hastings has tabbed Hobey Baker finalist Dryden McKay to man the pipes for Minnesota State.

North Dakota's Brad Berry had a big decision to make, but ultimately gave the nod to Adam Scheel to start for the Fighting Hawks.

Both sides finished up their warm-ups, and looked very sharp. Crowd looks about 50/50 split, with most of the neutrals in the building pulling for the Mavs. Lots of green though.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Coach Hastings just spoke with our on-ice reporter. Said the Mavericks had success back in October by limiting Jordan Kawaguchi, and they will focus on that once again tonight. Hastings also said he thinks the top line of Tuomie-Michaelis-Sowder will need to keep up their strong play and put pressure on Scheel tonight if Minnesota State is going to have success. He also stressed that the game will likely come down to which team can take advantage of the powerplay. We wished the coach good luck and he went back to the Mavs locker room to give the boys in purple one last pre-game speech this season.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Is it showtime, go Souix.

Comment

We also caught up with Coach Berry, who said that the decision to go with Scheel over Thome was a "gut feel" tonight. Berry felt that the Seniors will have a big night tonight, and pointed to Westin Michaud and Cole Smith as the keys to pushing the Hawks to victory tonight. Berry also stressed the importance of staying out of the box, as the Mavs have been lethal with the man advantage. After wishing the Hawks' bench boss good luck, Berry thanked us and said get ready for a good one tonight.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Who is the home team?

Comment

Originally posted by jersey sioux View Post
                            Who is the home team?
                            North Dakota. They are the #1 overall seed.

Introductions just finished up. Hawks are wearing white. Mavs in purple.

National Anthem will be coming up shortly!
                            North Dakota

Comment

By chance, do we have "lines"?

Comment

The nerves and tension are palpable here in Detroit. Kid Rock electrified the crowd with the National Anthem, and the nearly 20,000 in attendance are on their feet.

Puck drop is next!
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X