Quinnipiac Bobcats 2020 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2020 Off-Season

I'm a bit of an outsider. Yet can tell you even in this environment the kids are training like crazy. Little concerned Harvard said they may not reopen until Jan 1. Yet boys are working hard to keep it going. They know they have a natty run next year, if next year happens.

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
      I'm a bit of an outsider. Yet can tell you even in this environment the kids are training like crazy. Little concerned Harvard said they may not reopen until Jan 1. Yet boys are working hard to keep it going. They know they have a natty run next year, if next year happens.
      The big thing I see missing is the ability to come in over the summer and workout together in the weight room, etc. That "bonding" helps the team gel and won't be available this year as best I can tell.

I'm also beginning to doubt the season will start October... we may even go without hockey at all for 20-21.
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
        The big thing I see missing is the ability to come in over the summer and workout together in the weight room, etc. That "bonding" helps the team gel and won't be available this year as best I can tell.

I'm also beginning to doubt the season will start October... we may even go without hockey at all for 20-21.
        I believe this is most likely. It will take a long time for it to get to that point, though, because no one wants to actually face it and admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
          Jonathan, any word on Jayden Lee and how serious his injury was? Would he have been able to play this season or did he undergo surgery or longer term injury!? Kid has skills, and I liked his speed and capability to have the opponents defense on their heels.....or in Billy Sweezey's case, braced for impact only and i still believe their may have been some upper cut (accidentally or not) from a stick handle to the chin possibly...maybe i am projecting my disappointment on Billy Sweezey like I did with Luke Esposito a bit too harshly. But Jayen Lee can pass and distribution of the puck effectively, to another skater to the place where they can simply shoot is rare and he has that gift. That is very enabling skill packaged in a speedy skater but the Billy Sweezey's of the world will wait in hiding to impact those highly skilled players with softer skill sets like placing a threaded pass on the blade of another skater's stick...something the Billy Sweezeys will never be able to do. Jayden Lee, hope you're ok, healing and keep playing as hard as you can and rely on your teammates to warn you from the Sweeziness of lessor skilled hockey players....OK, my rant for the day and apologies for seemingly venting on Billy...and know as a hockey parent, few things make one more proud than watching your son on the ice making those type plays....but as a talent scouting fan, we view that player as a pothole.
          Sweezey signed an AHL deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins this week.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

PJ Fletcher was drafted in the third round by Dubuque in the USHL Phase II draft which is a pretty good sign he won't be returning in the fall.
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
              PJ Fletcher was drafted in the third round by Dubuque in the USHL Phase II draft which is a pretty good sign he won't be returning in the fall.
              Would this bar him from coming back in the fall? I am wondering if players are looking for places to play if the NCAA/ECAC decide there will be no season next year. I have talked to a few students from local universities and they are considering deferring their education for a semester or even the whole year if classes are going to be completely online as they were for the end of this semester.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk View Post
                Would this bar him from coming back in the fall? I am wondering if players are looking for places to play if the NCAA/ECAC decide there will be no season next year. I have talked to a few students from local universities and they are considering deferring their education for a semester or even the whole year if classes are going to be completely online as they were for the end of this semester.
                I'm not sure of the rules regarding this but it does bring up an interesting situation. I do know that the clock starts ticking once a student-athlete's career starts. If the upcoming season doesn't happen, the NCAA might have to make some sort of concession to address that lost time. Then again, if there's no D-I hockey it's doubtful there will be any junior hockey... seems like sports at all levels are going to suffer.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Sweezey signed an AHL deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins this week.
                  That's great news for Billy and family! Wish him the best. Solid player and like pothole, best to avoid running through them.

LT, hope we can see some hockey this year!

Comment

I emailed the box office a few days ago, after Greg A's post about upcoming year and season tickets, etc. They said they are delaying sending out season ticket info until probably the end of June. We hope there is hockey as well, and hopefully with fans in the stands. Stay safe everyone!

Comment

That's great news for Billy and family! Wish him the best. Solid player and like pothole, best to avoid running through them.

Ditto!
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

FYI - Hockey News article on former Bobcat Sam Anas.

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                          I emailed the box office a few days ago, after Greg A's post about upcoming year and season tickets, etc. They said they are delaying sending out season ticket info until probably the end of June. We hope there is hockey as well, and hopefully with fans in the stands. Stay safe everyone!
                          Speculation is that the team won't be allowed back on campus until the end of August with the rest of the student body. Sounds like President Olian loves sports yet no one is back until all can come back safely.

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
                            Speculation is that the team won't be allowed back on campus until the end of August with the rest of the student body. Sounds like President Olian loves sports yet no one is back until all can come back safely.
                            Looks Like NCAA is allowing students back for workouts on June 1st. Not sure if that was only for Fall sports. I’m guessing Rand would lobby pretty fiercely to get players onsite if NCAA allowed. Especially with the team he should have on the ice this year.

Hopefully this gets to a point where we can have a normal season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                              Looks Like NCAA is allowing students back for workouts on June 1st. Not sure if that was only for Fall sports. I’m guessing Rand would lobby pretty fiercely to get players onsite if NCAA allowed. Especially with the team he should have on the ice this year.

Hopefully this gets to a point where we can have a normal season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I believe football and basketball are only sports that can have athletes on June 1 (not 100% sure). Plus, need to consider if it's best for school to allow students back. Could receive some backlash, plus the decision could be swayed if other hockey programs are on campus or not.

Comment

Didn't Olian already say nobody on campus until August 14th? I honestly don't see the season starting on time. Plus, we need to see what other schools (i.e. Ivies) are going to do. Lots of factors to consider before a skate hits the ice.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X