X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Everybody is getting into the act.

Is that a simulation of a game played or a simulation of a Harvard forfeiture?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I am not that knowledgeable. I just post a lot.

I suspect that you are correct about the transfer portal increasing in popularity.
      The transfer portal was launched less than 18 months ago. I'm not sure about the statistical growth rate from the first year to this one, but anecdotally it seems there was a pretty sizable increase for FB and it was looking likely for BB too before the virus outbreak. I suspect we were going to see the same pattern for hockey, but with the virus chaos if I was a player I'm not sure I'd file this year unless I knew I had a landing spot.

The big change will come if the NCAA passes the one free transfer proposal (undergrads get one transfer without sitting out). If it passes expect to see the power schools using less prestigious programs as a farm system to fill in holes in their rosters from pro departures.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        The transfer portal was launched less than 18 months ago. I'm not sure about the statistical growth rate from the first year to this one, but anecdotally it seems there was a pretty sizable increase for FB and it was looking likely for BB too before the virus outbreak. I suspect we were going to see the same pattern for hockey, but with the virus chaos if I was a player I'm not sure I'd file this year unless I knew I had a landing spot.

The big change will come if the NCAA passes the one free transfer proposal (undergrads get one transfer without sitting out). If it passes expect to see the power schools using less prestigious programs as a farm system to fill in holes in their rosters from pro departures.
        That would be really bad for schools like RPI although we could get players for one or two years who want to use us a farm team. I think that all-in-all it is a bad idea, bit that won't stop it from happening.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Have any of the long time RPI fans on here re-watched the 1990 RPI vs Cornell game that is available on the old games thread?

Comment

That would be really bad for schools like RPI although we could get players for one or two years who want to use us a farm team. I think that all-in-all it is a bad idea, bit that won't stop it from happening.
            I agree 100%.One of the capital district BB coaches said pretty much the same thing.

Comment

So, if I have this right, RPI takes the time, effort, and expense to recruit players and then, for whatever reason, some of them can move on to greener pastures and RPI gets squat in return? The top tier players are easy to find. Little work and expense there. No need for BU or North Dakota to travel to the hinterlands to see recruits that pop up on someone's radar screen. Let RPI do that for you. Doesn't take a rocket scientist of a player to figure out BU will have 4 or 5 openings and BU can see, without much work, which players have grown in D1 college hockey. And if this becomes easier for players with less of a downside, why wouldn't they do it? Planning for 2, 3, 4 years down the road becomes an exercise in frustration. And if the players are entering the portal at higher rates, taking away the barriers will increase that. Essentially , if you compare it to pro sports, every recruit is signing a one year contract and becomes a free agent at the end of the season. I see little upside to this.

Comment

Talk about a well traveled kid.....
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  Talk about a well traveled kid.....
                  So I guess one can use this to go to a third college.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                    So, if I have this right, RPI takes the time, effort, and expense to recruit players and then, for whatever reason, some of them can move on to greener pastures and RPI gets squat in return? The top tier players are easy to find. Little work and expense there. No need for BU or North Dakota to travel to the hinterlands to see recruits that pop up on someone's radar screen. Let RPI do that for you. Doesn't take a rocket scientist of a player to figure out BU will have 4 or 5 openings and BU can see, without much work, which players have grown in D1 college hockey. And if this becomes easier for players with less of a downside, why wouldn't they do it? Planning for 2, 3, 4 years down the road becomes an exercise in frustration. And if the players are entering the portal at higher rates, taking away the barriers will increase that. Essentially , if you compare it to pro sports, every recruit is signing a one year contract and becomes a free agent at the end of the season. I see little upside to this.
                    Yes, that's exactly what it would mean. The proposal, which I think was planned for a committee vote next month before the virus came upon us, was made by (surprise, surprise) the Big 10 and has been backed by other major conferences. It's been pitched as giving the players more control, and that is an admirable goal, but it doesn't take into account the fact that it was the non-power schools that gave the player a chance and invested in their development.

Comment

So I guess one can use this to go to a third college.
                      Yup, plus two colleges that he committed to and never attended. Incredibly, if he's a grad transfer, and I assume he must be, he will have two years of eligibility at his 3rd school.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                        Have any of the long time RPI fans on here re-watched the 1990 RPI vs Cornell game that is available on the old games thread?
                        Link?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                          Link?
                          Click on Google Drive at the start of https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...=1#post6930746
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I presume that we are not talking about the Jan. 5, 1990 game at Ithaca, which Cornell won, 6-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                              I presume that we are not talking about the Jan. 5, 1990 game at Ithaca, which Cornell won, 6-4.

Just in case you didn't know, it was the semifinal game in the ECAC tourney won by RPI 3-2. The person recording is a BU fan and probably recorded this because it was when the ECAC still played in Boston Garden.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 30 March 2020. There are 187 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X