Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
    We already have Ferner, Klee, Helsen, Johnson and Kjellberg as defensive first dmen. Davies (likely an incoming freshman) is also defense first. Our Dcorps looks like it's going to be incredibly strong next season, and I predict our defense is going to allow 2.3 goals per game at most over the course of the season. I am sure he is a fine player, but our defensemen do not appear to be an issue heading into next season.
    Speaking of Helsen, didn't he get a red-shirt due to injury? You're only showing him with 3 years of eligibility on the 5-year future roster projection.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
      Speaking of Helsen, didn't he get a red-shirt due to injury? You're only showing him with 3 years of eligibility on the 5-year future roster projection.
      I haven't heard anything, but since he didn't play at all, it should be almost automatic.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        To the contrary , they were very prompt in processing my return. I think Norris is just going above and beyond with customer relations because the box office is not currently staffed due to the panic errr ...I mean Covid19😜
        Busy place for one man these days...

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
          I like our d and returning squad as a whole but feel as a unit our d corps heavily lean towards the offensive side of the game. I feel A true defensive defensemen would add a great deal. what the heck While i`m wishing why not throw in a few speedsters who can snipe in this years the incoming class!
          Besides for Helsen whom I haven't seen yet, I agree with Sezenack that we have a lot of defense-first defensemen. Babichuk is clearly an offensive defenseman and Hallbauer was in 18-19. Incoming dman Sertti seems to be offensive too. I really have nothing to complain about there.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            To the contrary , they were very prompt in processing my return. I think Norris is just going above and beyond with customer relations
            Good to hear

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
              Im happy for Todd. He endured injuries, a coaching change and several tough seasons. He stuck it out and was a BIG part of this years turnaround.Like Jacob Hayhurst last year I wish him the best wherever he lands.
              Agreed. His play used to frustrate me, but now I think it is clear that serious injuries robbed him of a big chunk of his college career. I think this year's performance was the result of finally being healthy. Would have loved to have him back, but I think a lot of us felt that this would be his last year with RPI one way or the other.

Comment

Today is 24 March 2020. There are 193 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                  Agreed. His play used to frustrate me, but now I think it is clear that serious injuries robbed him of a big chunk of his college career. I think this year's performance was the result of finally being healthy. Would have loved to have him back, but I think a lot of us felt that this would be his last year with RPI one way or the other.
                  I must admit to being a little disappointed to read this. If he wants a professional career he's already relatively old so the decision to stay in college is essentially an admission that he won't be aggressively pursuing pro as a career option (not to say he won't sign a pro contract but he'd already be 25 by his first professional training camp). Given that, I was hoping he'd stay and continue to build on what he and his class started. Will Reilly sounded truly proud of the decision he made to stick it out in the podcast that was posted here the other day. Nonetheless, I thank Todd for what he has done, including the pretty thrilling last few weeks of his Engineer career. I wish him the best wherever he goes. He's earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Besides for Helsen whom I haven't seen yet, I agree with Sezenack that we have a lot of defense-first defensemen. Babichuk is clearly an offensive defenseman and Hallbauer was in 18-19. Incoming dman Sertti seems to be offensive too. I really have nothing to complain about there.
                    Could anyone else besides me see moving Hallbauer to forward? I actually wanted it more last spring after seeing that he had a strong wrist shot and skating skills but was seemingly a bit suspect defensively during his freshman season. This season he definitely improved significantly in his own end (perhaps the reason for his offensive drop-off?) so I'm fine with keeping him back there, but, if we are as in need of help up front as I suspect, perhaps he could pull a Brutlag and move up to RW. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                      I must admit to being a little disappointed to read this. If he wants a professional career he's already relatively old so the decision to stay in college is essentially an admission that he won't be aggressively pursuing pro as a career option (not to say he won't sign a pro contract but he'd already be 25 by his first professional training camp). Given that, I was hoping he'd stay and continue to build on what he and his class started. Will Reilly sounded truly proud of the decision he made to stick it out in the podcast that was posted here the other day. Nonetheless, I thank Todd for what he has done, including the pretty thrilling last few weeks of his Engineer career. I wish him the best wherever he goes. He's earned it.
                      I certainly don't know what he wants to do with his life. The fact that he is thinking about staying in college indicates to me that Ottawa isn't really interested in him. As you said, he will be 25. Conceivably he feels that another school could be better for a non-hockey career. It's hard to believe that Smith would not want him back considering how well he played the last couple of months. He would be even more important to RPI next season if he stayed.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-24-2020, 05:26 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Could anyone else besides me see moving Hallbauer to forward? I actually wanted it more last spring after seeing that he had a strong wrist shot and skating skills but was seemingly a bit suspect defensively during his freshman season. This season he definitely improved significantly in his own end (perhaps the reason for his offensive drop-off?) so I'm fine with keeping him back there, but, if we are as in need of help up front as I suspect, perhaps he could pull a Brutlag and move up to RW. Thoughts?
                        He probably could move up, but I think he is better at D. It would leave us thin at defense if he moved with only Ferner, Johnson, Babichuk, Kjellberg, and Klee with experience. Helsen, Sertti, and Davies are all unknown, and we would have to find another.

Edit: Perhaps it would then make sense to get a transfer for one year since that would leave room for McDonald in 2021.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-24-2020, 07:03 AM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

With the improvement that Hallbauer made in his defensive play last year, I don't see him moving off the back line.
                          I also see Kjellberg and Klee getting more offensive responsibility next year. Smith had his defense moving into the play in the offensive zone and these two can add to the scoring possibilities.
                          He even had Ferner moving up last year, so I don't see any changes in that style of play.
                          I would hate to see Burgess go to another school. He would be out featured offensive threat, I don't see him getting that opportunity anywhere else.
                          JMO.
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                            Im happy for Todd. He endured injuries, a coaching change and several tough seasons. He stuck it out and was a BIG part of this years turnaround.Like Jacob Hayhurst last year I wish him the best wherever he lands.
                            Completely agree with this. If he were to stay by some chance, fantastic, but never thought it was likely with him being listed as a senior all year. He’s going to do great next season wherever he lands.

Comment

I agree, it would have been great to see him back (it is technically possible he could still stay, but I think he is moving on). I do think he may be looking to improve his stock with an extra college season that hopefully builds on this year.

Comment

My guess is Burgess is taking advantage of all avenues (his right to do so) and entered portal as a plan B. I would expect he will sign and move on to start his pro career. Guess is coaching staff did not expect him back for next season, but would certainly welcome him back if opportunity presents itself. He really came on after Xmas this year, kid finally looked confident and healthy.

As far as the d core, looks pretty solid. Yes, Reilly graduating will leave some questions, but that is is case every year a senior graduates. Ferner (70 gp) Johnson (67 gp) Hallbauer (63 gp) thru two seasons gives that blue line (200 gp combined) a lot of experience. Throw Babichuk, Kjellberg and Klee (80 gp combined) in the mix and help me find a more experienced/deep returning blue line in conference/country. Babichuk will certainly be key on pp.(Hallbuaer and Kjellberg on pp as well) Ferner (led team in blocked shots), and Johnson logged heavy pk time last two seasons and will both eat a lot of "in all areas" minutes next year. Klee, arguably the most improved player on team, will only get better. So when DS talks about importance of depth, it all starts on back end , and RPI has plenty of depth.

Forwards: yes the loss of seniors will generate a lot of questions. But wasn't the question at beginning of this year , "How are we going to score?"...... again depth played a big factor and with the quality minutes the soph's and freshmen gained this year, I think there is enough to fill the holes left by those graduating. Arguably our best face-off guys were fresh and soph (Dubinsky, Ashbrook, Linden), and the bulk of the best defensive forwards have two plus years left. W's and team growth through out year are most important, so we may see a lot of low scoring games and scoring by committee.

Goalie: we have "the guy" and depth.

If you would have told me mid November that RPI would have earned a ECAC bye, gathered 7 votes (#25 ranking) in the season end national coaches poll, I would not have thought that was possible.

Plenty of work to be done for sure. If everyone can stay healthy, it appears the "buy in" to what DS is looking for is there and the culture is in place. I would say the coaching staff has done a very good job of recruiting the "right" guys to get this program back where it should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X