This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Ben Barr was passed over again for a coaching position. He did not get the UVM job even though he was a finalist

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
      You’ll get a good one. He was injured most of his time at the Tute, and I think his injury hampered his play for the better part of three years. This year, from what I’ve seen of him, not only is he speedy, but he’s also scrappy. He’ll fight for the loose pucks and do things that he needs to do, even away from the play. Even when he wasn’t directly involved in an RPI goal, he always seemed to me to be in prime position for a rebound. He follows his shots well, and does what is needed. When I saw him on the PP, he was the one that was either parked in front of the net, or in the slot. He does a great job in that role. Last year he had the year that we all expected. I think it’s important to note though thatt Smith kept him on the team, and I think the change in coaching systems helped him immensely at precisely the time he needed one. It do think that if Appert was still in charge, we wouldn’t be having this discussion, as I don’t think there would have been that much interest in him.
      I agree with that. The 19-20 season is the only one where we saw the real Todd Burgess.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-16-2020, 12:30 AM.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 16 April 2020. There are 170 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I agree with that. The 19-20 season is the only one where we saw the real Todd Burgess.
          I was really disappointed with Burgess in his first two seasons. He had some great looks at the net but just couldn't finish. I know he had injuries, but his aim was not what I thought it should have been.
          He always gave it all he had, but just couldn't get the puck in the net. I guess with the injuries he was just trying too hard, because at the end of his senior year, he knew where to put the puck.
          I wish him all the luck in the world no matter where he plays next year.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

To talk about some RPI related hockey for next season, I do like our roster, but I am concerned about what we have at RW. We have Lacka, Bowman, DiGrande, Gagnon, and McIsaac. Are any of these players guys that can play on the 1st line?

Lacka had a good freshman year with 10 points, but only had 2 points and 12 games last season. He clearly has talent, but the question has to be asked: why was he a healthy scratch most games? Putting him on the top line would require a big step up.
            Bowman is a fine player but he's much more of a 3rd or 4th liner and does not really belong higher than that based on the way he plays and talent.
            DiGrande is pretty much the same way. Good player that you want on your team, but he's a 3rd or 4th line type of player.
            Gagnon seems like a really good player, but from what I know, he probably isn't a 1st line player right off the bat. I think he will start out on the 2nd line.
            McIsaac definitely is not good enough to play on the top line from what I know.

I really hope we get a grad transfer who can play RW. If we do, I won't be concerned because this seems like the only major hole in the roster to me. Any thoughts? Agree with me? Disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
              To talk about some RPI related hockey for next season, I do like our roster, but I am concerned about what we have at RW. We have Lacka, Bowman, DiGrande, Gagnon, and McIsaac. Are any of these players guys that can play on the 1st line?

Lacka had a good freshman year with 10 points, but only had 2 points and 12 games last season. He clearly has talent, but the question has to be asked: why was he a healthy scratch most games? Putting him on the top line would require a big step up.
              Bowman is a fine player but he's much more of a 3rd or 4th liner and does not really belong higher than that based on the way he plays and talent.
              DiGrande is pretty much the same way. Good player that you want on your team, but he's a 3rd or 4th line type of player.
              Gagnon seems like a really good player, but from what I know, he probably isn't a 1st line player right off the bat. I think he will start out on the 2nd line.

I really hope we get a grad transfer who can play RW. If we do, I won't be concerned because this seems like the only major hole in the roster to me. Any thoughts? Agree with me? Disagree?
              Are you sure that Lacka was a healthy scratch and it was not an injury which we didn't know about? If he was a healthy scratch than i don't think that he would be top-six quality. The Gagnon who was leading the OJHL in goals before he committed to RPI could develop into such a person, but as a freshman I don't expect it in any case. The others -- no. Thus, either, as you said, a grad transfer, or someone playing the off-wing.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wasn’t quite sure to Post here or on Alum Thread. Obviously chose here. For those that don't remember, Topher Scott played for Cornell......
                Last edited by turk181; 04-16-2020, 01:04 PM.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Interesting. Only 2 RW right now on the horizon; Brown & Itagaki. Could we possibly see Brown in the Fall? It’s also possible the school year gets pushed back which maybe cuts back on the schedule. Would the Staff then want to bring someone in knowing they won’t get the full season? Questions without answers ATT I guess.
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

https://twitter.com/burgess_todd/sta...966491650?s=21

Thanks for the input, all. Looks like it is now official.
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        Some rumors swirling Todd Burgess could be headed to Mankato...

14 goals including a late season tear.. anything additional to know about him? I’ve loosely followed RPI Hockey through the pick to click, but it’s been some time since I’ve watched RPI play.
                        Other comments have covered the key points of the Todd Burgess scouting report. I will just add that the knee injury early in his RPI career was serious and that, combined with some high expectations, pretty much derailed his career here. This year's strong, two-way performance, I think, was a consequence of finally being confident in his health. May it continue for him next year.

Despite earlier frustrations, it is important to note that most fans (at least from my view) wanted to see him back for one more year, despite knowing he was likely to leave.
                        Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 04-16-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Are you sure that Lacka was a healthy scratch and it was not an injury which we didn't know about?
                          I recall asking this of several people and nobody knew. A bit of a mystery to me, but I understand why this information is not shared freely with the public. I thought he was pretty good in the games he got to play.

Comment

Ben Barr was passed over again for a coaching position. He did not get the UVM job even though he was a finalist
                            Was listening to an interview with the new UVM coach, who is currently an assistant with the Winnipeg Jets. He reported that UVM was looking for NHL coaching experience to recreate what UMass had done with Greg Carvel, who himself had 12 years experience as an assistant/scout with NHL teams. Seems to explain both why Barr was a finalist and why he ultimately did not get the job.

Comment

Today is 17 April 2020. There are 169 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I keep hearing a lot of skepticism about schools reopening for the Fall Semester. The main problem is the fact that most dorms crowd students 2/3 to a room.
                                I shudder to think that there might not be a fall sports season.
                                If that were to happen, how many of all college recruits will opt for major junior hockey.
                                Any thoughts?
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X