Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I had eight supervisors. Six of them majored in physics, two in math.
    Ralph, I am not sure that business majors would fit in where you worked.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      Ralph, I am not sure that business majors would fit in where you worked.
      Not in the technical areas, but in budget and other support offices.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
          I don't think this is true at all. Why are Cornell and Harvard able to bring in top recruits if this is the case? Plus all the athletes end up as Business and Management majors anyways, which is not a particularly challenging curriculum
          Would love to see statistics that would show how many entering freshman (hockey or otherwise) who are accepted by both us and an Ivy, bypass the Ivy for the hills of Troy. P89ersonally I was accepted by Yale and Dartmouth along with RPI but finances dictated my decision as RPI offered me almost a full ride in scholarship money and loans while the two Ivy schools were not even close. When you grow up in a lower middle class family, my dad was a postal carrier, the choice is often determined by that bottom line. But, as things turned out, I never regretted my decision for a moment.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
            They have Ivy League name recognition. If you’re a kid in Canada who wants to play hockey, outside of the five or six “hockey factories,” the next tier is the Ivies.
            Wish that was not true, but know absolutely that is indeed the case!
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

They have Ivy League name recognition. If you’re a kid in Canada who wants to play hockey, outside of the five or six “hockey factories,” the next tier is the Ivies.

Also, you may think it’s easy, but chances are you’ll be working for a business major someday
              Yeah, Dartmouth and Brown have been doing so well at hockey with that Ivy League name recognition. You can throw Princeton into that group too even with their recent league title.

Comment

Today is 26 May 2020. There are 130 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                  I don't think this is true at all. Why are Cornell and Harvard able to bring in top recruits if this is the case? Plus all the athletes end up as Business and Management majors anyways, which is not a particularly challenging curriculum
                  Just a reminder that in any given season, 50% or more of Cornell's players are enrolled in the School of Ag & Life Sciences / Arts/ Hotel... Yes, they leave with an Ivy degree but there are degree paths within that are not as rigorous many other programs at Cornell or around the league...it's how Schafer stacks his program with players over the years. The larger point is that every ECAC school - Ivy or not - has found ways to enroll kids that both appeases the gowns and the coaches. Harvard of course had their own tutoring misunderstanding from a few years back which the good folks in Cambridge like to pretend never happened...
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    Just a reminder that in any given season, 50% or more of Cornell's players are enrolled in the School of Ag & Life Sciences / Arts/ Hotel... Yes, they leave with an Ivy degree but there are degree paths within that are not as rigorous many other programs at Cornell or around the league...it's how Schafer stacks his program with players over the years. The larger point is that every ECAC school - Ivy or not - has found ways to enroll kids that both appeases the gowns and the coaches. Harvard of course had their own tutoring misunderstanding from a few years back which the good folks in Cambridge like to pretend never happened...
                    That is correct although I didn't realize it was half at Cornell. However RPI's entire entering class in 2019 and all the recruits about whom we know the major are Business/Management. Is that true about any other school?

Edit: And I said before that I probably would have had a lower average as a Management student, and furthermore I couple of management courses would have helped me at work. (Like people skills. )
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                      Yeah, Dartmouth and Brown have been doing so well at hockey with that Ivy League name recognition. You can throw Princeton into that group too even with their recent league title.
                      If you can get into Dartmouth or Brown, pretty good chance you can get in to Cornell, Harvard or Yale. Hence the “Harvard rejects” chant....
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        To be fair, there are somedifficult programs in the Ag School. Furthermore, for many years the closest thing Cornell offered to an undergraduate business degree was in that school.

Athletes will often find a path to easier classes and schedules. I remember taking an exam for a grad statistics course (not an easy course) in the Ag School and whoever had used the room prior had clearly been assigning group projects, with the students' names on the board. I recognized about 80% of the Cornell hockey team and I'll guarantee whatever course that was must have been on the easier side.

That happens at RPI too. When I worked in the Registrar's Office one year a large percentage of the hockey team was registered for Helicopter Design. The lady that handled room assignments was concerned that she might have to move it to a bigger space until we realized what was going on. There was a required course in the Management School (I don't think it was Lally then) that had two sections. One was at 8 a.m. with a known difficult professor and one was at a better time with an easier instructor. I'll bet you can guess which one conflicted with Helicopter Design and how many drop cards came in once the players' schedules were set. I never looked into it but I presume the professor teaching Helicopter Design was a hockey fan and in on the game since he would have had to waive pre-reqs for players to "enroll" in his class.
                        Last edited by rpi82; 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM.

Comment

If you can get into Dartmouth or Brown, pretty good chance you can get in to Cornell, Harvard or Yale. Hence the “Harvard rejects” chant....
                          That's a fair point. Those 3 are probably poaching some talent from Dartmouth, Brown and Princeton. I didn't think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            To be fair, there are somedifficult programs in the Ag School. Furthermore, for many years the closest thing Cornell offered to an undergraduate business degree was in that school.

Athletes will often find a path to easier classes and schedules. I remember taking an exam for a grad statistics course (not an easy course) in the Ag School and whoever had used the room prior had clearly been assigning group projects, with the students' names on the board. I recognized about 80% of the Cornell hockey team and I'll guarantee whatever course that was must have been on the easier side.

That happens at RPI too. When I worked in the Registrar's Office one year a large percentage of the hockey team was registered for Helicopter Design. The lady that handled room assignments was concerned that she might have to move it to a bigger space until we realized what was going on. There was a required course in the Management School (I don't think it was Lally then) that had two sections. One was at 8 a.m. with a known difficult professor and one was at a better time with an easier instructor. I'll bet you can guess which one conflicted with Helicopter Design and how many drop cards came in once the players' schedules were set. I never looked into it but I presume the professor teaching Helicopter Design was a hockey fan and in on the game since he would have had to waive pre-reqs for players to "enroll" in his class.
                            That's a funny story that doesn't surprise me at all. I bet that difficult professor was Professor Wright! He always had the 8am Intro to Management section (in my few years here, but I've been told he's always been that way and is known for being tough), so that would match what you said. He retired last year I believe, but he had been teaching at RPI for a long time. While he was known for being tough, my roommate had his class and said he learned a ton and got a lot out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                              With Alabama-Huntsville's team being dropped by their university, I wonder if there are potential transfer candidates that could end up here? Might be a couple of players on their roster who by skill, potential and possible majors would fit here.
                              Looks like the first off the board is Liam Izyk who chose BC. Eligible this coming season..... https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/198342/liam-izyk
                              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Vote for Puckman in the Fuzzy Four,

https://old.reddit.com/r/collegehock...he_fuzzy_four/

The previous round went 94-17.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X