Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    A friend of mine played with Guy at LaSalle told me that Addessa knew all about Hebert being he was a Troy kid. Story goes that Addessa knew how good he was (or could be) but Puppa was already in Troy. ...of course he left early so Big Mike probably wished he had recruited Guy. I've always wanted to ask him if that was accurate.
    I think more than a few coaches whiffed on Guy Hebert if he wound up playing Division III at Hamilton. Playing your entire high school career in the Capital District high school league back then was not a way to maximize your exposure to Division I college coaches. The league has never enjoyed a good reputation in terms of competition level and was rarely scouted.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        That does illustrate the fact that RPI does not get the best local players, although Murley and Cavosie were honorable mentions.
        I didn't take a screen shot of it, but when this list was originally published online by the Times Union on a Sunday afternoon, Murley was one of the four on "Mt. Rushmore" and Craig Darby had been completely omitted from the list (not even honorable mention) despite playing more NHL games than everybody except Hebert. A corrected article was republished on the website within a few hours.

More than one Union fan has told me that Jeff Taylor was an RPI fan growing up and wanted to play for the Engineers . . . .

Comment

Today is 23 May 2020. There are 133 days (19 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              A new AD that feels she has to make her mark. The article below on Yale's athletic branding efforts doesn't explicitly say the dog is gone, but I heard she had made the decision and it is interesting that all of the logos shown are wordmarks. That would be consistent with a dog-napping.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/...ale-athletics/
              With political correctness having gone totally overboard, wondering when dogs and cats will become problematic as some sensitive group complains.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

A new AD that feels she has to make her mark. The article below on Yale's athletic branding efforts doesn't explicitly say the dog is gone, but I heard she had made the decision and it is interesting that all of the logos shown are wordmarks. That would be consistent with a dog-napping.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/...ale-athletics/
                Sometimes a mascot or nickname is additive to the uniqueness and branding, or has a particular connection to the school (e.g. UNC Tar Heels). Bulldogs are banal--it's one of the two or three most used mascots in amateur sports. Some schools have the panache to just have one word as the brand. Sometimes that's preferable to the recent trend of schools trying to out-peacock each other to appeal to recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                  Terrible news.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                    Sometimes a mascot or nickname is additive to the uniqueness and branding, or has a particular connection to the school (e.g. UNC Tar Heels). Bulldogs are banal--it's one of the two or three most used mascots in amateur sports. Some schools have the panache to just have one word as the brand. Sometimes that's preferable to the recent trend of schools trying to out-peacock each other to appeal to recruits.
                    True, but in Yale's case the tradition extends back well over a century so the connection to the school is engraved in all living alumni and fans. I think the most common use I've seen is the Y logo with the figure of the bulldog overlaid at the junction point. It ain't Puckman, and I've made fun of the bulldog calling him a mutt, but it's a pretty good logo.

Comment

I didn't take a screen shot of it, but when this list was originally published online by the Times Union on a Sunday afternoon, Murley was one of the four on "Mt. Rushmore" and Craig Darby had been completely omitted from the list (not even honorable mention) despite playing more NHL games than everybody except Hebert. A corrected article was republished on the website within a few hours.

More than one Union fan has told me that Jeff Taylor was an RPI fan growing up and wanted to play for the Engineers . . . .
                      Taylor did want to play for RPI. A parent of one of the AA players ATT told me while SA was stringing Taylor along as far as an "official visit” Leaman swooped in had him on Union’s Campus offered him a spot & that was that. That’s not meant as a shot @ SA by me, just the scenario I was told.
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

True, but in Yale's case the tradition extends back well over a century so the connection to the school is engraved in all living alumni and fans.
                        My undergrad just went through a very contentious mascot change a few years ago, so I understand that argument, and don't know enough about Yale's history to challenge that. That said, I am not convinced that many schools have that claim--when it came up at my school, I found the arguments trying to frame the old mascot as integral to the school's identity to be unpersuasive, and more about proxy objections to the president of the college, or to perceived PC culture on campus. The arguments on the other side defending the need for a change were not persuasive either. I think most alumni across schools are indifferent to this, and tend to move on fairly quickly when the school makes a change.

Comment

My undergrad just went through a very contentious mascot change a few years ago, so I understand that argument, and don't know enough about Yale's history to challenge that. That said, I am not convinced that many schools have that claim--when it came up at my school, I found the arguments trying to frame the old mascot as integral to the school's identity to be unpersuasive, and more about proxy objections to the president of the college, or to perceived PC culture on campus. The arguments on the other side defending the need for a change were not persuasive either. I think most alumni across schools are indifferent to this, and tend to move on fairly quickly when the school makes a change.
                          Well, we saw something similar with the ill-fated Red Hawks moniker. Of course, in typical RPI fashion they did it half-assed as the hockey team remained the Engineers. Similarly, they tried to take the Swarm mascot from football and apply it to hockey. I really disliked the Red Hawks and Swarm, but others liked one or both and yet another group really didn't care. I'm a Puckman guy because I associate him with the old hand drawn program covers of the mid-to-late-70s when I became addicted to RPI hockey and eventually enrolled.

Comment

With Alabama-Huntsville's team being dropped by their university, I wonder if there are potential transfer candidates that could end up here? Might be a couple of players on their roster who by skill, potential and possible majors would fit here.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 24 May 2020. There are 132 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X