• Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post
    Goalie: we have "the guy" and depth.
    Assuming that he doesn't turn pro.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      With the improvement that Hallbauer made in his defensive play last year, I don't see him moving off the back line.
      I also see Kjellberg and Klee getting more offensive responsibility next year. Smith had his defense moving into the play in the offensive zone and these two can add to the scoring possibilities.
      He even had Ferner moving up last year, so I don't see any changes in that style of play.
      I would hate to see Burgess go to another school. He would be out featured offensive threat, I don't see him getting that opportunity anywhere else.
      JMO.
      You are correct that TB would be out featured offensive threat and won't get that opportunity elsewhere (well he would in the AHA and some other ECAC schools) but that didn't stop Melanson and Hayhurst from leaving. Clearly they both went to places where the team was expected to be better and we are now on the upswing and weren't then, but there are a lot of factors.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        Could anyone else besides me see moving Hallbauer to forward? I actually wanted it more last spring after seeing that he had a strong wrist shot and skating skills but was seemingly a bit suspect defensively during his freshman season. This season he definitely improved significantly in his own end (perhaps the reason for his offensive drop-off?) so I'm fine with keeping him back there, but, if we are as in need of help up front as I suspect, perhaps he could pull a Brutlag and move up to RW. Thoughts?
        One way you could see how that would work would be to have him play forward on the PP. Question would be if you moved him to forward and then needed him back on D due to an injury, would his defensive game suffer? I’m sure that could be looked at during the early part of the season before league play gets cranked up.

Comment

My guess is Burgess is taking advantage of all avenues (his right to do so) and entered portal as a plan B.
          He'll go back for his last year. My guess is Michigan.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

My guess is Burgess is taking advantage of all avenues (his right to do so) and entered portal as a plan B. I would expect he will sign and move on to start his pro career. Guess is coaching staff did not expect him back for next season, but would certainly welcome him back if opportunity presents itself. He really came on after Xmas this year, kid finally looked confident and healthy.

As far as the d core, looks pretty solid. Yes, Reilly graduating will leave some questions, but that is is case every year a senior graduates. Ferner (70 gp) Johnson (67 gp) Hallbauer (63 gp) thru two seasons gives that blue line (200 gp combined) a lot of experience. Throw Babichuk, Kjellberg and Klee (80 gp combined) in the mix and help me find a more experienced/deep returning blue line in conference/country. Babichuk will certainly be key on pp.(Hallbuaer and Kjellberg on pp as well) Ferner (led team in blocked shots), and Johnson logged heavy pk time last two seasons and will both eat a lot of "in all areas" minutes next year. Klee, arguably the most improved player on team, will only get better. So when DS talks about importance of depth, it all starts on back end , and RPI has plenty of depth.

Forwards: yes the loss of seniors will generate a lot of questions. But wasn't the question at beginning of this year , "How are we going to score?"...... again depth played a big factor and with the quality minutes the soph's and freshmen gained this year, I think there is enough to fill the holes left by those graduating. Arguably our best face-off guys were fresh and soph (Dubinsky, Ashbrook, Linden), and the bulk of the best defensive forwards have two plus years left. W's and team growth through out year are most important, so we may see a lot of low scoring games and scoring by committee.

Goalie: we have "the guy" and depth.

If you would have told me mid November that RPI would have earned a ECAC bye, gathered 7 votes (#25 ranking) in the season end national coaches poll, I would not have thought that was possible.

Plenty of work to be done for sure. If everyone can stay healthy, it appears the "buy in" to what DS is looking for is there and the culture is in place. I would say the coaching staff has done a very good job of recruiting the "right" guys to get this program back where it should be.
            Truly nice post - agree with as most all of it and what i don't is nit picking on my part. Can never predict for the next year as anything can happen. Injuries, turning pro, etc. But for the first time in many years i am actually very up beat on our chances next year to go as far as any RPI team has since, well, since almost forever it seems. Defense and goal tending is obviously best moving ahead that we have ever anticipated. Your point about face offs is extremely important. If we can improve on special teams, which may be the emphasis of our coach, scoring may take care of itself.
            Would i like to see Burgess back? of course. But he has to do what he feels is best for him. Academically I do not feel you can do better than staying at RPI. if he feels he can attach to a team destined for the frozen four in the NCAA, so be it. That is exactly what Melanson did and indeed, got a chance to play in the tournament. Personally, I think one might actually accomplish that in Troy next year. But then again, I have been hoping for us to score a goal in the NCAA tournament for a long time. Wherever Todd ends up i will of course wish him well (unless he plays against us).
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              I agree he'll play his final year somewhere, destination I have no idea. I never really thought he'd be back. if memory serves, he's been through not one but two major knee reconstructions ?....which if anyone's ever done it, ain't no picnic. Cannot in the least bit blame him for going to chase some hardware somewhere.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Assuming that he doesn't turn pro.
                I'm pretty certain he is coming back based on his most recent instagram post

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  That could be, especially if he has received positive reports from Jacob Hayhurst. OTOH, Emil O didn't play much there this season. I don't know why.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                    I'm pretty certain he is coming back based on his most recent instagram post
                    Ralph looks for OS's Instagram account and finds that it is private.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      I agree he'll play his final year somewhere, destination I have no idea. I never really thought he'd be back. if memory serves, he's been through not one but two major knee reconstructions ?....which if anyone's ever done it, ain't no picnic. Cannot in the least bit blame him for going to chase some hardware somewhere.
                      i went through these a few years back. i can for certain it ended my hockey career!! Not skating (that ended long ago) but it stopped me from standing at the bar and watching the games. Now i have to sit after a short while.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I got some feedback to include "Flight Risks" on the projection for players who could leave early to sign a pro contract. I also forgot about Helsen's redshirt as FLHockeyMom pointed out, and I fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          Truly nice post - agree with as most all of it and what i don't is nit picking on my part. Can never predict for the next year as anything can happen. Injuries, turning pro, etc. But for the first time in many years i am actually very up beat on our chances next year to go as far as any RPI team has since, well, since almost forever it seems. Defense and goal tending is obviously best moving ahead that we have ever anticipated. Your point about face offs is extremely important. If we can improve on special teams, which may be the emphasis of our coach, scoring may take care of itself.
                          Would i like to see Burgess back? of course. But he has to do what he feels is best for him. Academically I do not feel you can do better than staying at RPI. if he feels he can attach to a team destined for the frozen four in the NCAA, so be it. That is exactly what Melanson did and indeed, got a chance to play in the tournament. Personally, I think one might actually accomplish that in Troy next year. But then again, I have been hoping for us to score a goal in the NCAA tournament for a long time. Wherever Todd ends up i will of course wish him well (unless he plays against us).
                          If OS and vast majority of the defense is back we may lead the nation in 2-1 and 1-0 games. If so, I'll also bet that we see an uptick in our scoring as the season goes along. Basketball is not the only sport where defense leads to offense. In our case, once we started playing a disciplined defensive game backstopped by a goalie that seemingly could not be beaten, you could almost feel the frustration rise in opponents and they began to take more chances - which just generated more scoring opportunities for us. With a young forward core it may take a while to evolve, but, hopefully, next season follows a similar pattern. If they just make sure to take care of their responsibilities on our side of the red line the scoring will come.

Comment

I got some feedback to include "Flight Risks" on the projection for players who could leave early to sign a pro contract. I also forgot about Helsen's redshirt as FLHockeyMom pointed out, and I fixed that.
                            That's for the coaches to worry about when planning future rosters. They are closer to the players and to the buzz they may have generated in the scouting community than any fan. I don't see much purpose in the supporters group publishing such speculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                              That's for the coaches to worry about when planning future rosters. They are closer to the players and to the buzz they may have generated in the scouting community than any fan. I don't see much purpose in the supporters group publishing such speculation.
                              Without A Peer used to do the same practice, so I disagree and don’t think speculation is wrong in such projections.
                              However, WAP isn’t affiliated with the school, Red Army is. I do think it’s wrong for a school sponsored club to be projecting when students will depart school early.
                              My two cents on the matter.

Comment

I want without a peer back maybe special corona edition of the pipeline

Comment

Working...
                                X