Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Just a little something off the path -The March 23rd issue of the National Enquirer (a well known reliable resource) page 47 has a 3/4 page article with pictures of the RPI Cross Country boys team and their desire for Chick-fil-A. It explains what they did to find the closest place to buy ( a kiosk inside an airport that required a valid ticket to access the food court). They ordered 15 chicken sandwiches, 15 large fries, 13 orders of chicken nuggets, one bag of cookies and one lemonade. The total tab came to $227.28 after buying a $98 one way ticket from Albany to Ft. Lauderdale. When asked they all insisted it was worth it.
    Thanks to Jenny for finding this. Never underestimate the ingenuity of the RPI boys!!
    This was covered by most of the Albany media outlets. Example: https://www.news10.com/news/rpi-cros...c-fil-a-lunch/

Quote Originally Posted by NAFTA123 View Post
    Anyone have the scoop/ input on captains for next year? One Sr who plays a position other than goalie. Assuming the Jr class will have some representation.
    I think Linden. Thanks to all the posters. Read at least once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by RPI67 View Post
    I think Linden. Thanks to all the posters. Read at least once a day.
    Marshall or Ture?? Actually Jerry should be a lock being the only senior non-goalie.
    And if anyone wants to read those Without A Peer what ifs? from 2012, just go to withoutapeer.com and click on the Year 2012 in the past awesomeness area. All those articles are excellent reading.

If I had to guess the captains:
    Brady Ferner "C"
    Billy Jerry "A"
    Ture Linden "A"

No inside knowledge, just a guess

Doing some online searching to refresh my memory about the 83-85 years and found this article online (the NYT covered college hockey?): https://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/15/s...g-problem.html

A little history into conference realignment and a prescient quote from Big Mike: ''Oates may be the best center in college hockey,'' said Addesa. ''But I still think this team is a year away.''

Quote Originally Posted by sezenack View Post
    If I had to guess the captains:
    Brady Ferner "C"
    Billy Jerry "A"
    Ture Linden "A"

No inside knowledge, just a guess
    I think that is a good guess.

Today is 2 April 2020. There are 184 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I knew he played in a few preseason Major Junior games but he paid the penalty of sitting out the same number of games. AFAIK, at the time it did not permanently ban a player.
    I vividly remember Mike Addesa and Lou Lamoriello meeting at the end of the handshake line after a game at the Field House and engaging in a screaming match that made the Mayor's Cup melee of a few years ago look tame by comparison. I was told by someone in the know that it was driven by bad feelings over recruiting a player that was supposed to be off-limits (at least in the mind of one of them). That lines up with the Oates story and looking back at the '81-'82 schedule I see that we beat Providence at the Field House 7-6 on 12/2/81. Does anyone else remember that skirmish?
    Last edited by rpi82; Today at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    I vividly remember Mike Addesa and Lou Lamoriello meeting at the end of the handshake line after a game at the Field House and engaging in a screaming match that made the Mayor's Cup melee of a few years ago look tame by comparison. I was told by someone in the know that it was driven by bad feelings over recruiting a player that was supposed to be off-limits (at least in the mind of one of them). That lines up with the Oates story and looking back at the '81-'82 schedule I see that we beat Providence at the Field House 7-6 on 12/2/81. Does anyone else remember that skirmish?
    You are 100% correct. As a matter of fact, if you look at the scheduling from that year forward (I don't have time to look), some teams quit playing RPI because of this. So to my original point - there were real good RPI players that did not receive year-end league awards when voted on by ECAC coaches due to this animosity towards Coach Addessa. That was just not an ECAC voting issue, but a National one.
    Last edited by sk8tronthepond; Today at 07:19 AM.
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    I remember Adam Oates being suspended for the first eight games of his freshman year. Am I recalling that another player, maybe George Servinis, was suspended for the first three games of his freshman season also?

Lamoriello complaining about Addesa breaking a gentleman's agreement? Having seen PC play during the Lamoriello years, it begs the question: Lamoriello, a gentleman?

Quote Originally Posted by fr. joe View Post
    I remember Adam Oates being suspended for the first eight games of his freshman year. Am I recalling that another player, maybe George Servinis, was suspended for the first three games of his freshman season also?

Lamoriello complaining about Addesa breaking a gentleman's agreement? Having seen PC play during the Lamoriello years, it begs the question: Lamoriello, a gentleman?
    Servinis only missed one game that season, so probably not. BTW, Oates played 22 of the 29 games, so the eight must be slightly off.

I unfamiliar with the Lamoriello incident, but it must have grated him to have to play RPI in the NCAA final in 1985. I guess that he was only mad at RPI, not Oates, since I think that he hired Oates to coach the Devils.

I'm an Implant Engineer

How I remember the details of the era:

- Oates was held out because he played a few games in a league that fed what we today now know at the OHL, or Major Junior in Ontario. His Markham team had a few players that we're paid as Jr A players which crossed the line in a few folks eyes.
    - Servinis was held out for less games, maybe 2-3, including the preaseason?
    - The Lou Lam episode was memorable, likely because PC had a large lead in the game and blew it late. I remember Lou being very upset walking past the crowd (us in Section 9 - before the HFH renovation) off the ice and Gates Orlando breaking his stick into smithereens over a garbage can...
    - However Oates and Servinis weren't on the 81-82 team...
    - These incidents were rare, but not unprecedented. I remember Coach Mike going off on Red Berenson, on the ice, and in the papers the year Michigan game to Troy for a 2-game set, mainly due to the rough play of Michigan. Mike pulled the team out of the handshake line for that one.
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post
    How I remember the details of the era:

- The Lou Lam episode was memorable, likely because PC had a large lead in the game and blew it late. I remember Lou being very upset walking past the crowd (us in Section 9 - before the HFH renovation) off the ice and Gates Orlando breaking his stick into smithereens over a garbage can...
    - However Oates and Servinis weren't on the 81-82 team...
    True, but both players entered the following year. I don't know when they committed, but it was probably common knowledge in the coaching community that they were either coming to Troy or that they were being recruited. As I said, I was told at the time by someone in the know that the argument was about recruiting a player that was supposedly off-limits. I was probably told who it was, but the name Adam Oates would have meant nothing to me. It sure does now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Servinis only missed one game that season, so probably not. BTW, Oates played 22 of the 29 games, so the eight must be slightly off.

I unfamiliar with the Lamoriello incident, but it must have grated him to have to play RPI in the NCAA final in 1985. I guess that he was only mad at RPI, not Oates, since I think that he hired Oates to coach the Devils.
    Lou was gone by then. Steve Stirling was the coach in the championship game.

Edit: Now that I think about it - was Lou the AD at PC after leaving the bench?

Edit 2: I just looked it up and he was AD (and HE Commissioner), so Ralph's comment makes more sense than mine.
    Last edited by rpi82; Today at 08:59 AM.

I Still bleed RPI Red

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    This was covered by most of the Albany media outlets. Example: https://www.news10.com/news/rpi-cros...c-fil-a-lunch/
    Had no access to those outlets. Jenny found this in the National Enquirer - perhaps the first and only time we got some coverage in that rag sheet!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

turk, of those three let's get Tychonick. I don't know what his problem was at UND, but Neutral Zone gave him a 5.00. Not that I think we are looking for D at this time.

The other two don't seem better than what we have.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; Today at 02:22 PM.

Tychonick is probably by far the most talented of the 3. Maybe Babichuk can convince him both are Alberta boys.

Thread Information