Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Puckman appears to have won 147-16.
    On to round two on 5/15.
    second round https://strawpoll.com/sg6r3gk5/r
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      Based only on my reading the tea leaves, I think having students on campus this fall is a very long shot. If anything, I think they may bring some students on campus for the spring semester.... Which might make it possible for an abbreviated hockey season. Again, these is just what I'm thinking will happen -- I am sure there are many reasons why a short season would be viewed as problematic
      Trump today says we are moving forward vaccine or no vaccine. So I am just wondering if anyone who is unwilling to "move forward" will be punished? So, for example, will a university have federal aid cut for failure to have students on campus? And what will universities do then? So the tea leaves may get a bit complicated. Will parents send their children? Football and hockey may be back on the schedule. The question is will the fans go? I suspect I would not go unless I feel like I am not rolling the dice with my life.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
        Trump today says we are moving forward vaccine or no vaccine. So I am just wondering if anyone who is unwilling to "move forward" will be punished? So, for example, will a university have federal aid cut for failure to have students on campus? And what will universities do then? So the tea leaves may get a bit complicated. Will parents send their children? Football and hockey may be back on the schedule. The question is will the fans go? I suspect I would not go unless I feel like I am not rolling the dice with my life.
        Northeastern, who I believe was referenced as a possible opponent this year, just announced their intention to resume on campus classes in the fall. Their economic model is weighted toward having those huge dorms they've built over the last 25 years full 12 months of the year (benefit of coop-oriented year round curriculum and being in the Back Bay of Boston). They may have to back off but they'll try their best to pull this off first.

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post
          Football homecoming 2020 postponed, as per alumni e-mail.
          Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
          Trying to read between lines can often lead you down the wrong path, but!!!

Cancelling the homecoming weekend involving a few hundred alumni five months prior but then having a football game that Saturday drawing anywhere from 900 to 1,300 just plain does not make any sense. Either the game will be played without fans or it is also already cancelled. Same goes for the two home football games that precede the homecoming one.

Should there be a home hockey game later that night (unknown at this moment) drawing anywhere from 2,300 to 3,000, assuming anything other than fan less or already cancelled would be outright foolish.

The way I read the e-mail, it said that the traditional reunion and homecoming celebration was being postponed. It did not specifically say that the football game scheduled for that weekend was being postponed or cancelled.

I'm Class of '70, so this would be the big year for my class to have a reunion. Considering that my classmates and I are all septuagenarians and thus in the high risk category for catching the virus, it seems to me that the single worst thing RPI could do in terms of putting a large number of people at risk of being infected with the virus would be to bring us all back to campus for a football game, a class dinner, and all the other group-gathering-type festivities normally associated with reunion and homecoming. I can understand why the very first thing RPI would decide to postpone or cancel would be the reunion and homecoming celebration.

Trying to be as optimistic as possible, I can see a possibility that they could go ahead with football games or other types of sporting events this fall, with a limited audience consisting of students and other younger people who aren't so high risk, as long as they remain at an acceptable social distance from each other. There is currently no indication on the RPIathletics website that any scheduled football games have been cancelled or postponed.

On the other hand, as Tony/Troy pointed out, if RPI can't play a football game scheduled for the second weekend in October, I can't imagine that the hockey team would be able to play any games that early, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
            The way I read the e-mail, it said that the traditional reunion and homecoming celebration was being postponed. It did not specifically say that the football game scheduled for that weekend was being postponed or cancelled.

I'm Class of '70, so this would be the big year for my class to have a reunion. Considering that my classmates and I are all septuagenarians and thus in the high risk category for catching the virus, it seems to me that the single worst thing RPI could do in terms of putting a large number of people at risk of being infected with the virus would be to bring us all back to campus for a football game, a class dinner, and all the other group-gathering-type festivities normally associated with reunion and homecoming. I can understand why the very first thing RPI would decide to postpone or cancel would be the reunion and homecoming celebration.

Trying to be as optimistic as possible, I can see a possibility that they could go ahead with football games or other types of sporting events this fall, with a limited audience consisting of students and other younger people who aren't so high risk, as long as they remain at an acceptable social distance from each other. There is currently no indication on the RPIathletics website that any scheduled football games have been cancelled or postponed.

On the other hand, as Tony/Troy pointed out, if RPI can't play a football game scheduled for the second weekend in October, I can't imagine that the hockey team would be able to play any games that early, either.
            Emails and text messages went out to a couple sports teams saying that currently the plan is still to continue athletic competition in the fall

Comment

Today is 16 May 2020. There are 140 days (20 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Just got back inside. Beautiful spring day... 71 degrees at 7:30 in Albany tonight.

Comment

Just got back inside. Beautiful spring day... 71 degrees at 7:30 in Albany tonight.

Puckman's been plowing through the opposition. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Today is 17 May 2020. There are 139 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 18 May 2020. There are 138 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          Northeastern, who I believe was referenced as a possible opponent this year, just announced their intention to resume on campus classes in the fall. Their economic model is weighted toward having those huge dorms they've built over the last 25 years full 12 months of the year (benefit of coop-oriented year round curriculum and being in the Back Bay of Boston). They may have to back off but they'll try their best to pull this off first.
                          Very true of many urban universities... if the dorms are empty, the school is in trouble.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Will Reilly career highlights

Comment

Today is 19 May 2020. There are 137 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X