X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
      Thank you for the "useful" insight. However, between 1965 and today I acquired a fairly good working knowledge of who does what mechanically. But thank you anyway.

The missed point was a league wide culture dating back decades starting at the very top and extending downward to however far down it goes. Even farther back to the earlier referenced no 83-84 all ECAC players. No Puppa, Hammond, Friday, George S., Carter, Dark, Jooris or Oates. Instead you have guys listed some won't even remember. Those coaches picked that team too. Get it now???

Lets also not forget coaches getting suspensions for hitting a reply button on their laptop (without uttering a single word) and ducking hay makers successfully without getting their heads ripped off.

Issue covering decades simply pointed out. Some may not have been around long enough to get it. For others how long does not matter. They just will never get it.
      So ... you said; "These puss belly sausage stuffers that run the ECAC today are different puss belly sausage stuffers than the ones that ran the ECAC in it's earlier years. However, their puss belly sausage stuffer brains operate exactly the same." I merely pointed out that the coaches vote on the player/coaches awards. Are you saying the league is run by the coaches? Although your sarcasm is evident, your reasoning needs some work for the comment you made. I agree that some hall of fame players were missed ... however, I don't think it was due to the players themselves, as much as it was the coach. Don't forget, there was a gentlemen's agreement among the head coaches at the time not to recruit Adam Oates. My point is that these players not being voted as the leagues best, weren't due to the fact that they weren't the best. Get it now????
      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
        Don't forget, there was a gentlemen's agreement among the head coaches at the time not to recruit Adam Oates.
        Not that I was able to follow RPI hockey closely at the time, but this is news to me. Why was there such an agreement?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Not that I was able to follow RPI hockey closely at the time, but this is news to me. Why was there such an agreement?
          First of all, thanks for the video RB. I was there and is one of my finest memories ever!

Not really sure about the agreement, but I do remember that Oates played in a Major Junior A tournament and at the time I don’t think they allowed players who played on that level to play in the ECAC. In fact, he was suspended for what I believe was 8 games before he was eligible to play in the 1982-83 season.

Comment

Not my video. I just posted the link here. As a matter of fact, I hadn't seen that game until yesterday.

The game is due to Sean Pickett.
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-30-2020, 12:18 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Everybody is getting into the act.

I am too lazy to look for the one or two missing posts.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If only that could have been real life

Comment

Let's see - 35 years ago today -Jen and I were in Detroit at that game. We had good, but not great seats. By the third period we had moved down and were standing close to the ice. I was lit like the proverbial Christmas Tree on vodka of course, and cherry brandy. The third period seemed to take forever and we could not wait to celebrate (although we felt the tension of every Providence rush up ice). It was a magic time for us!! The fans we met there from all 4 teams involved were just great.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Let's see - 35 years ago today -Jen and I were in Detroit at that game. We had good, but not great seats. By the third period we had moved down and were standing close to the ice. I was lit like the proverbial Christmas Tree on vodka of course, and cherry brandy. The third period seemed to take forever and we could not wait to celebrate (although we felt the tension of every Providence rush up ice). It was a magic time for us!! The fans we met there from all 4 teams involved were just great.
                      I agree with you about the fans. I remember when my friends and I were leaving Joe Louis Arena that night, many Minnesota-Duluth fans came up to us to congratulate RPI and wished us luck against Providence. I don’t know if I would have been so gracious.
                      There was a 3rd place game back then and many RPI fans showed up to cheer on UMD and then their fans cheered us on later that night. In fact, about 90% of the crowd were rooting for RPI as we had our fans, the UMD fans, and even the Michigan State fans were on our side when Swarm came on the ice before the game waiving the MSU flag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Wow! Made it to Detroit courtesy of the long defunct Peoples Express. What a night and what a hangover Sunday morning! If memory serves me correct I made it home just in time for the 1st Wrestlemania and the next night Villanova upset Georgetown. Quite the 4 day stretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Let's go Red! Prepare the championship banner. Get ready to meet the simulated bus when it gets back to the Field House.

Comment

Today is 31 March 2020. There are 186 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Interviews with Terry Butryn, Mike Dark, George Servinis, Ken Hammond, and Mike Sadeghpour. A total of about 1:20:00.

Edit: Hammond and Sadeghpour both mentioned the support President George Low, who passed away in 1984, gave the team. There is a distinct contrast to the present situation.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-31-2020, 05:23 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yesterday, I took a trip down memory lane and watched my copy of the 1995 ECAC Championship game.
                                This was a very talented team with two of my favorite all time Engineers, Eric Healey and Bryan Richardson.
                                The thing about the game was that this team made all the easy plays. No blind passes or passes through three defenders. It was a pleasure to watch.
                                Also, Patrick Rochon led the Engineer defensemen in scoring with 45 points. When was the last time we had a defenseman with that many points?
                                Anyway, it was fun to watch, and I thought that I would share it with all of you.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X