No announcement yet.

Has the gap between D1 and D3 closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has the gap between D1 and D3 closed?

Originally posted by shooter27 View Post
    Back when I was playing (I hate using that phrase) in the early 00’s, about half of the guys on my DIII (NESCAC) team had at least some interest from DI programs prior to going to college and most ended up playing DIII because they didn’t want to play multiple years of juniors. It definitely wasn’t uncommon back then for the top of DIII to be able to compete with the low end of DI, especially the MAAC/Atlantic Hockey teams which were less than a decade from being DIII themselves.

However, I’d agree with others that have said the gap has widened over the intervening years. First off, the bottom of DI has gotten better simply by being in that competitive arena. Second, look at all the guys who show up as 20/21 year old Freshman in DI after multiple years of playing juniors. Back 15-20 years ago, those guys played DIII. Being a 20/21 year old Freshman simply wasn’t as common back then.

From personal experience, I had a couple solid DI offers (small partial scholarship, not full, mid to lower tier ECAC teams) that were contingent upon me playing juniors after three years at prep school. At the time, my dad was against it and he was paying the bills so that was that, though if I had fought for it hard I might’ve been able to convince him. In today’s environment I’d have gone to the USHL and played DI. Also, at the time the USHL and NAHL were on pretty equal footing, the USHL was beginning to pull away but the gap wasn’t nearly what it is today. Was I “good enough” to play DI? Yes. Would I have been a difference-maker? Probably not, though who knows what extra development time and coaching could have done. But looking at my life today, I’m probably better off that I went where I did.

To sum up, that is why the gap between DIII and DI has widened, primarily because many of the older DI players you see today would’ve played DIII back in the day.
    Great post, right from the horse's mouth.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
      This is not true at all. Its always the same U18 NTDP team that plays against every college team, D1 or D3. A quick search shows it was the exact same roster for their games vs Wisconsin and Adrian.

Things do get tailored when it comes to their play in the USHL. But when it comes to the college games its strictly the 18s
      That's what I've seen as well.

And that squad tends to hammer D-3 teams which are composed (mostly) of guys 4-6 years older.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        That's what I've seen as well.

And that squad tends to hammer D-3 teams which are composed (mostly) of guys 4-6 years older.
        I didnt know wins of 3-1, 2-1, 4-2, and 2-5 (L), 1-4 (L), 5-4 (L) were hammering teams

Since 2015-2016 the average score is:
        DIII: 2.5 goals a game vs USNDTP18 4.9

Yes they do have a couple 5+ a goal game blowouts (4 of the 14 games to be exact in that time period), but they are not "hammering" teams every game.
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          I didnt know wins of 3-1, 2-1, 4-2, and 2-5 (L), 1-4 (L), 5-4 (L) were hammering teams

Since 2015-2016 the average score is:
          DIII: 2.5 goals a game vs USNDTP18 4.9

Yes they do have a couple 5+ a goal game blowouts (4 of the 14 games to be exact in that time period), but they are not "hammering" teams ever
          y game.
          I always found the game to be quite interesting,,, You have the older college guys that in no way want to lose to 18 year olds and want to test their skills against a very good size and skill 18 year old team, most of which will be drafted and a few would be playing in the NHL the following year.

Comment

Oswego played a dooozie vs The USA U18 team a few yrs back,sold out stadium,both teams played well,I do remember Austin Matthews.....Oz won 5-3 I believe will have to check....edit 2013-14 season Oswego wins 5-3 ..gets out shot 33-16...USA 1st line was Tkachuk,Matthews Bracco,with McAvoy on D...not bad....the USA kids played all out for sure...who knows??
            Last edited by bakdraft21; 03-20-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I wouldn’t be surprised. As you see “blue blood” schools losing their market share of championships to smaller schools, you notice how important team chemistry becomes. A school like BU or UW can be loaded with talent, but with all these guys one-and-done or maybe two years, team chemistry never develops. D3 doesn’t have that problem. Another case in point, look at how Union creamed Minnesota in the championship 6 years ago. I don’t remember any games where UMD played a D3 school (unless you count Canadian schools the equivalent), but I imagine if they did they would be playing 3rd-4th lines a lot (which they do already), but also third string goalies. So comparing outcomes of exhibition/scrimmages may not be a fair measuring stick. We lose to the U18 team or Canadian schools all the time yet still win the championship later in the year
              I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                I wouldn’t be surprised. As you see “blue blood” schools losing their market share of championships to smaller schools, you notice how important team chemistry becomes. A school like BU or UW can be loaded with talent, but with all these guys one-and-done or maybe two years, team chemistry never develops. D3 doesn’t have that problem. Another case in point, look at how Union creamed Minnesota in the championship 6 years ago. I don’t remember any games where UMD played a D3 school (unless you count Canadian schools the equivalent), but I imagine if they did they would be playing 3rd-4th lines a lot (which they do already), but also third string goalies. So comparing outcomes of exhibition/scrimmages may not be a fair measuring stick. We lose to the U18 team or Canadian schools all the time yet still win the championship later in the year
                Can you explain what a fair measuring stick would be then? Thats really the only thing we can go off

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                  Can you explain what a fair measuring stick would be then? Thats really the only thing we can go off
                  Only if say D3 champ got an autobid into D1 tournament. But there’s probably more parity in D3 vs D1 hockey than say D1 vs D1A or whatever in football—those teams get cooked consistently like a steak in a closed top grill
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Only if say D3 champ got an autobid into D1 tournament. But there’s probably more parity in D3 vs D1 hockey than say D1 vs D1A or whatever in football—those teams get cooked consistently like a steak in a closed top grill
                    They do...its called the AHA...
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I think whoever said the top 10 D3 and the Bottom 10 D1 would be close is about as close as we can gage,,, U18 played 2 D3 teams this year , lost to Adrian 4-1 and beat Hamline 9-1 so a big difference in the D3 ranks ,,,, in all honestly ,, the Adrian game wasn’t as close as the score indicated.,,, Adrians next games against Utica looked more like 2 evenly matched teams ,,,

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        They do...its called the AHA...
                        +1

Comment

But there’s probably more parity in D3 vs D1 hockey than say D1 vs D1A or whatever in football—those teams get cooked consistently like a steak in a closed top grill
                          I am not sure about that. The top football teams in Division I-AA (Football Championship Subdivision or FCS) regularly cause all kinds of problems for Division I (Football Bowl Subdivision or FBS) teams, even the big conference schools. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...ctories-upsets.

There are also way more FCS players in the NFL than D3 players in the NHL. I think that reflects a huge difference in the size of the player pool that supplies the NFL and the technical difference between the two sports--if you want to improve at football, you have to play in real games, and there is a big difference between being the third string quarterback in football and the third line center in hockey--dropping down to D3 probably doesn't make sense for the third line center, but it might make sense for the third string quarterback to look at FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter27 View Post
                            Back when I was playing (I hate using that phrase) in the early 00’s, about half of the guys on my DIII (NESCAC) team had at least some interest from DI programs prior to going to college and most ended up playing DIII because they didn’t want to play multiple years of juniors. It definitely wasn’t uncommon back then for the top of DIII to be able to compete with the low end of DI, especially the MAAC/Atlantic Hockey teams which were less than a decade from being DIII themselves.

However, I’d agree with others that have said the gap has widened over the intervening years. First off, the bottom of DI has gotten better simply by being in that competitive arena. Second, look at all the guys who show up as 20/21 year old Freshman in DI after multiple years of playing juniors. Back 15-20 years ago, those guys played DIII. Being a 20/21 year old Freshman simply wasn’t as common back then.

From personal experience, I had a couple solid DI offers (small partial scholarship, not full, mid to lower tier ECAC teams) that were contingent upon me playing juniors after three years at prep school. At the time, my dad was against it and he was paying the bills so that was that, though if I had fought for it hard I might’ve been able to convince him. In today’s environment I’d have gone to the USHL and played DI. Also, at the time the USHL and NAHL were on pretty equal footing, the USHL was beginning to pull away but the gap wasn’t nearly what it is today. Was I “good enough” to play DI? Yes. Would I have been a difference-maker? Probably not, though who knows what extra development time and coaching could have done. But looking at my life today, I’m probably better off that I went where I did.

To sum up, that is why the gap between DIII and DI has widened, primarily because many of the older DI players you see today would’ve played DIII back in the day.
                            Very insightful comments. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                              I am not sure about that. The top football teams in Division I-AA (Football Championship Subdivision or FCS) regularly cause all kinds of problems for Division I (Football Bowl Subdivision or FBS) teams, even the big conference schools. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...ctories-upsets.

There are also way more FCS players in the NFL than D3 players in the NHL. I think that reflects a huge difference in the size of the player pool that supplies the NFL and the technical difference between the two sports--if you want to improve at football, you have to play in real games, and there is a big difference between being the third string quarterback in football and the third line center in hockey--dropping down to D3 probably doesn't make sense for the third line center, but it might make sense for the third string quarterback to look at FCS.
                              The NCAA is only one component that supplies the NHL, whereas the OHL/WHL/QMJHL, and the European leagues contribute to NHL talent. The NFL is ONLY supplied by the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                                The NCAA is only one component that supplies the NHL, whereas the OHL/WHL/QMJHL, and the European leagues contribute to NHL talent. The NFL is ONLY supplied by the NCAA.
                                Good point, although that doesn't do much for the argument that I was responding to--the argument that the gap between D3 and D1 hockey was narrower than between FCS and FBS football divisions. There may be more competition in feeder leagues for the NHL, but that would suggest that the talent is even less likely to flow to D3.

Comment

Working...
                                X