Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coronavirus

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I don't think it going to stretch that long or will as as dire as now because testing will be widely available, effective treatments strategies will be developed, we will be more conscious of how we deal with people in the public and there will be a vaccine (long term goal). Professional sports will be able to start back up without fans at some point, I hope in this fall. College I'm not so sure.
    I'm betting the WCHA may only play a conference schedule the next two seasons. This year they'll do it to minimize travel and exposure (I've already heard teams are considering canceling their trips out East this season) and in 2021-2022 they'll have to do it due to budget cuts created by lower enrollments in 2020-2021. This year's budgets are set but '21-'22 will be set based on predicted/actual '20-'21 financials.

Comment

Oh no....it is starting .....California cancels fall classes

Comment

• Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
        Meanwhile, Arizona has a cardiologist as President and says we are bringing back 60,000 students and says we can do this and we are bringing back the infirmary and we will pull kids out of the dorms and care for them. "And make no mistake, kids are going to get this, but there is not much risk to this age group."
        Last edited by Reddington; 05-13-2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          Meanwhile, ASU has a cardiologist as President and says we are bringing back 60,000 students and says we can do this and we are bringing back the infirmary and we will pull kids out of the dorms and care for them. "And make no mistake, kids are going to get this, but there is not much risk to this age group."
          ASU has it right. Cal State schools are controlled by the California communists who want to lock everyone down indefinitely to establish their real agenda under the guise of waiting until every disease known to man is eradicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
            ASU has it right. Cal State schools are controlled by the California communists who want to lock everyone down indefinitely to establish their real agenda under the guise of waiting until every disease known to man is eradicated.
            Alright group... Let him (or her) have it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              Meanwhile, ASU has a cardiologist as President and says we are bringing back 60,000 students and says we can do this and we are bringing back the infirmary and we will pull kids out of the dorms and care for them. "And make no mistake, kids are going to get this, but there is not much risk to this age group."

The school doesn't control if students attend...all ASU can do is open,will be an interesting fall term across the country...personally, if our kids' schools are going to open with social distancing,mostly remote learning with some hybrid class offerings,paying full price for the semester(tuition,dorm meal,etc...) seems a waste..I do pity the seniors who are now trying to enter the work place..

Comment

• Originally posted by mnwis View Post
                The school doesn't control if students attend...all ASU can do is open,will be an interesting fall term across the country...personally, if our kids' schools are going to open with social distancing,mostly remote learning with some hybrid class offerings,paying full price for the semester(tuition,dorm meal,etc...) seems a waste..I do pity the seniors who are now trying to enter the work place..
                Hmmm. After spending March to August with the parents at home in quarantine or kids taking a chance and going back to school even with social distancing ....

Yes, it is unfortunate for the Seniors, who now maybe at home even longer.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                  They're leaving wiggle room to be able to still have sports in some fashion. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ll/3121272001/

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                    Alright group... Let him (or her) have it!
                    I probably should have put that at the end of my statement! Thank you for teeing that up. Gotta shake things up a bit. But its bad in California. Gov. Grewsome said that counties can't get to the next stage of reopening (dine in restaurants etc) until a county has 14 days in a row of no Covid deaths. That may never happen. Ever. They keep moving the goalposts. The original excuse was to "flatten the curve" to allow hospitals to ramp up. Well, they did. Now they are ramping down and some are going out of business. Then it was until we have a vaccine. Recently it is until we have multiple vaccines and those may not even work. Then there is the testing and tracing. Well, there is plenty of testing capability but no one uses it.

For those Cal State sports programs (and any schools that don't reopen or have sports) the transfer portal will fill up fast as players move to schools that are open and playing. It could decimate sports programs at those schools that don't open.

More specifically for us on this site, women's hockey, I would venture to guess that many if not most women's hockey college students in the north east, especially in the New York region, have already had it based on the people I know.

What they should do is test all of the players for antibodies. There likely is herd immunity already in that confined group.

Comment

I probably should have put that at the end of my statement! Thank you for teeing that up. Gotta shake things up a bit. But its bad in California. Gov. Grewsome said that counties can't get to the next stage of reopening (dine in restaurants etc) until a county has 14 days in a row of no Covid deaths. That may never happen. Ever. They keep moving the goalposts. The original excuse was to "flatten the curve" to allow hospitals to ramp up. Well, they did. Now they are ramping down and some are going out of business. Then it was until we have a vaccine. Recently it is until we have multiple vaccines and those may not even work. Then there is the testing and tracing. Well, there is plenty of testing capability but no one uses it.

For those Cal State sports programs (and any schools that don't reopen or have sports) the transfer portal will fill up fast as players move to schools that are open and playing. It could decimate sports programs at those schools that don't open.

More specifically for us on this site, women's hockey, I would venture to guess that many if not most women's hockey college students in the north east, especially in the New York region, have already had it based on the people I know.

What they should do is test all of the players for antibodies. There likely is herd immunity already in that confined group.
                      I hear ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                        Arizona, not ASU.

What Dr. Robbins said:

"I am pleased to publicly announce today our intention to return to in-person classes at the University of Arizona for the fall semester. We will honor all local, state and federal protective measures that apply, and, of course, there are many factors that remain beyond our control. However, we are tackling what is within our control to ensure our students have the opportunity for a full on-campus experience.

"We have launched antibody testing for the county and will soon begin antibody testing 250,000 health care workers and first responders for the state of Arizona in partnership with the Governor’s Office. Next, we will test our own students, faculty and staff. We are expanding our diagnostic testing capability for COVID-19 infection. In short, we are working with local and national experts to create best-in-class strategies to reopen the campus.

"Our plan is to Test, Trace and Treat to present our campus community a flexible and adaptive teaching and learning environment."

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          Arizona, not ASU.

What Dr. Robbins said:

"I am pleased to publicly announce today our intention to return to in-person classes at the University of Arizona for the fall semester. We will honor all local, state and federal protective measures that apply, and, of course, there are many factors that remain beyond our control. However, we are tackling what is within our control to ensure our students have the opportunity for a full on-campus experience.

"We have launched antibody testing for the county and will soon begin antibody testing 250,000 health care workers and first responders for the state of Arizona in partnership with the Governor’s Office. Next, we will test our own students, faculty and staff. We are expanding our diagnostic testing capability for COVID-19 infection. In short, we are working with local and national experts to create best-in-class strategies to reopen the campus.

"Our plan is to Test, Trace and Treat to present our campus community a flexible and adaptive teaching and learning environment."
                          This should help everyone.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...rtan-dhp-feeds

Comment

I probably should have put that at the end of my statement! Thank you for teeing that up. Gotta shake things up a bit. But its bad in California. Gov. Grewsome said that counties can't get to the next stage of reopening (dine in restaurants etc) until a county has 14 days in a row of no Covid deaths. .
                            Instead of deaths, how about percent of tests that are positive? That will tell us if the spread is lessening. Number of deaths tell us nothing.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Just so people understand what tests do what: the test in that article (if I am reading it correctly) only tests for the 'long term' IgG antibody. IgG antibodies form days or even weeks after symptoms appear; 7 to 10 days after symptoms, meaning maybe as long as two weeks after infection. It does not test for IgM antibodies, which form more quickly. And neither type of antibodies form - at least to any detectable level - during the critical first few days when a person is pre-symptomatic but can still be infecting others. To know that, you have to take the RNA detecting "swab test", and that (unless you work at the White House, apparently) can take days to get results.

So, if the idea is to find out which players had COVID weeks and months ago (and are presumably now carrying some level of immunity), an IgG antibody test is fine. But if you want to know what players are infected right now and are a risk to spreading the virus to other players or the other team, the RNA swab test is necessary.

(And, as I have said before, until there is a plan as to what to do when a player tests positive for active COVID two days before a game, I am not at all optimistic about 'sports' being played in any meaningful way.)

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Instead of deaths, how about percent of tests that are positive? That will tell us if the spread is lessening. Number of deaths tell us nothing.
                                All the different numbers - new cases, active cases, number hospitalized, test rates - tell you something; no one number tells you everything you want and need to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X