Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coronavirus

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Thinking the FF would be an NCAA call, no?
    Unless a city, state, or (gulp) federal government edict was involved.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
      Wondering about USA Hockey championships as well, and if any college coaches will or won’t attend
      Well, I covered the NYS Girls tournaments this past weekend in Amherst (across the street from the University of Buffalo) for USAHockey.com.

I plan on going back there this Sunday for the NYS Youth tournaments.

Will be interesting to see what happens for the Nationals when all these teams from around the country congregate.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Well, I covered the NYS Girls tournaments this past weekend in Amherst (across the street from the University of Buffalo) for USAHockey.com.

I plan on going back there this Sunday for the NYS Youth tournaments.

Will be interesting to see what happens for the Nationals when all these teams from around the country congregate.
        Or they could just invite the Minnesota teams so they don’t have to fly!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Thinking the FF would be an NCAA call, no?
          The NCAA's "games without spectators" scenario would be familiar to all the eastern teams.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            And just about literally as I was typing, a second case in Dane County (Madison); someone who contracted while travelling within US; quarantined at home; not related to the Jan 30th case.
            By the time you have a significant number of cases, it's too late. One of the troubling things about Covid-19 is that you become contagious before you show symptoms, and a lot of people don't ever show symptoms at all. If there are two confirmed positive tests, it's a pretty good bet that there are a bunch more local cases that have not yet been identified.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
              By the time you have a significant number of cases, it's too late. One of the troubling things about Covid-19 is that you become contagious before you show symptoms, and a lot of people don't ever show symptoms at all. If there are two confirmed positive tests, it's a pretty good bet that there are a bunch more local cases that have not yet been identified.
              On a related note - and I’m not kidding - Still Eeyore, do you have any stats on what the home crowd is worth in women’s hockey? In games where fans will not be able to attend, how negatively will that impact the home team? Obviously there’s a difference between a WI home crowd and a Cornell crowd, but I’m betting you can come up with some numbers to quantify this.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                On a related note - and I’m not kidding - Still Eeyore, do you have any stats on what the home crowd is worth in women’s hockey? In games where fans will not be able to attend, how negatively will that impact the home team? Obviously there’s a difference between a WI home crowd and a Cornell crowd, but I’m betting you can come up with some numbers to quantify this.

Actually. Cornell does pretty well drawing crowds; maybe 1000 to 1500 a game. A real shame they won't be able to attend in person, particularly parents, family, etc.

Comment

That didn't turn out to be the case with Dane County's first case; a traveler from China, diagnosed on Jan 30th. If we haven't heard about other cases following from him/her by now - and we haven't - we're not going to. The second case is someone who had recently traveled to Washington, or California, etc; unrelated in any way to the first case.

Adding: a little more detail has been added during the day. The second case person became ill "shortly" after returning from the trip when he/she contracted the virus. Followed directions and called their doctor before going to a doctor, was directed to an 'urgent care' facility on the far west side of town (in a growing but otherwise not heavily populated part of town) where he/she was met by medics in proper protective suits. etc. So the question is just how "shortly" was.
                  Last edited by robertearle; 03-10-2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                    Not a clue. This is a case where there are significant differences between sports, and at different levels of sports. So, you can't say, like you can with a lot of other things (most notably, the basic framework of Pythagorean winning percentages), "Hey, there's no data for women's college hockey specifically, but this idea has been found to be true in every sport that has been studied, so we can provisionally accept that it's true here, too." Home field advantage in major league baseball is very small (which is interesting, since it's a sport where the dimensions of the field of play vary). It's also low in the NHL. It's very big in basketball and soccer. The NFL is in between.

It's also worth noting that the correlation between crowd size and home field advantage is weak. So, you can't just assume that eastern schools that don't draw many fans would have less home ice advantage. That may be true, but there's no evidence for it.

As for why home field advantage exists, there's some evidence that suggests that the main avenue of effect is in the officiating: home teams get more calls in their favor. This is consistent with some of the differences between sports. Other than balls and strikes, which don't appear to be much affected by home field, there are few ambiguous judgment calls in a MLB game. Basketball games are filled with them, as the margin between blocking and charging is so narrow and involves more elements than the human eye can focus on simultaneously.

Tl;dr - I don't know.

Comment

That didn't turn out to be the case with Dane County's first case; a traveler from China, diagnosed on Jan 30th. If we haven't heard about other cases following from him/her by now - and we haven't - we're not going to. The sceond case is someone who had recently traveled to Washington, or California, etc; unrelated in any way to the first case.
                      Fine, but that largely misses my point. If you wait until there are 5-10 more cases in the area, then it is too late to contain it. For quarantine to be effective against this disease, you need to implement it before that happens. That does mean that it could turn out that drastic measures weren't necessary.

All of this is compounded by the complete disaster that the public health response has been in the U.S. We have been incredibly slow to ramp up testing, and probably still have a daily capacity in the hundreds, as opposed to, say, South Korea, which is testing more than 10,000 a day. Even today, the Secretary of Health and Human Services can't tell us how many people have been tested. There are a lot more individuals with Covid-19 out there than we know about.

Comment

Fine, but that largely misses my point. If you wait until there are 5-10 more cases in the area, then it is too late to contain it. For quarantine to be effective against this disease, you need to implement it before that happens. That does mean that it could turn out that drastic measures weren't necessary.

All of this is compounded by the complete disaster that the public health response has been in the U.S. We have been incredibly slow to ramp up testing, and probably still have a daily capacity in the hundreds, as opposed to, say, South Korea, which is testing more than 10,000 a day. Even today, the Secretary of Health and Human Services can't tell us how many people have been tested. There are a lot more individuals with Covid-19 out there than we know about.
                        I understand the concepts involved. At the moment, thank God, little to none of it applies to Madison, or Dane County. Or more generally, to Wisconsin as a whole. In another month, after students have gone to spring break and come back, that may change.

Comment

Santa Clara County, CA has banned indoor events with more than 1,000 attendees, which includes San Jose Sharks games. The state of Ohio has mandated that all indoor athletic events take place without spectators, though parents of athletes are allowed; this affects the NCAA basketball regional in Cleveland.

Comment

Santa Clara County, CA has banned indoor events with more than 1,000 attendees, which includes San Jose Sharks games. The state of Ohio has mandated that all indoor athletic events take place without spectators, though parents of athletes are allowed; this affects the NCAA basketball regional in Cleveland.
                            Noting the word "indoor" in those, does that mean we can hold the women's Frozen Four at Fenway? :-)

Comment

The Massachusetts governor made a bunch of rules for government employees today and suggested the same be applied to public employees. No large gatherings was one of the edicts.
                              However, a lot of places have placed that number at 5,000, which would mean we'll be having a very interesting conversation about the Frozen Four.

In all the cancellations and edicts that have already come down, there's not been a discussion about if media is still allowed at games closed to fans and the NCAA woho comms guy didn't have an answer for me. Should they close it to fans and media, I'm sure we'll see teleconferences or Skype calls or some other way for the media to get questions in.
                              It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

I understand the concepts involved. At the moment, thank God, little to none of it applies to Madison, or Dane County. Or more generally, to Wisconsin as a whole. In another month, after students have gone to spring break and come back, that may change.
                                If the B16 BB tourney is still being played in front of people, then I don't see why the UW game should be played in front of no one, especially with the low amount of cases in WI. That being said, I'd bet they play the game with no spectators. If it goes on and I am one who is in the high risk zone (older and/or a history of lung issues), then I am staying home, it makes sense.

What would make no sense is to allow all these college kids to leave their campuses for spring break. That would be one of the dumbest moves in the history of recorded society. Any semblance of control would be thrown out the window.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X