Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coronavirus

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    State lines aren't closed. People are still freely travelling about the country. I get it for men's BB, but women's hockey could have done it with so few people involved. They could have moved the FF from Boston to some other less infected site like Madison for instance.
    By next weekend, they might determine that thinner hastens the transmission of the virus. Sad for the kids. The rest of us can go watch our favorite highlight videos from days gone by.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Sorry for all the hockey players, basketball players, wrestlers, track and field athletes, softball players, baseball players, and on and on.... for having missed out on this moment and this opportunity.

(And then wondering going forward, what sort of eligibility exceptions might be made across the various sports at various points in their seasons.)
      Last edited by robertearle; 03-12-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

If they were going to play in empty arenas why wouldn't that be enough? But then you would thick that by cancelling they are assuming someone on a team could have it and this will prevent spreading.
        The players back at campus will still be going out to groceries, bars, parties and the like, they won't be in any isolation so where's containment there if a player had it?

Comment

State lines aren't closed. People are still freely travelling about the country. I get it for men's BB, but women's hockey could have done it with so few people involved. They could have moved the FF from Boston to some other less infected site like Madison for instance.
          Correct. The country is not under quarantine but canceling unnecessary gatherings and travel is simply the right thing to do to help stop the spread of the virus. "So few people" can still catch and transmit the virus while traveling, sharing locker rooms, playing against each other, etc. I'm guessing most of those players have grandparents who are part of the high-risk population whom they wouldn't want to spread the virus to as well. Can you keep the players from coming in contact with anybody in the next few weeks? Absolutely not. Can you at least reduce unnecessary school-related travel and gatherings? Absolutely. Again, people WAY smarter than us who are experts in infectious diseases are making these recommendations.

ADDED: I will say I wish they would have delayed everything for month and made the go/no go decision at that time. The way everything is moving so fast, who knows, in a month it might be safe to travel and play.
          Last edited by Offsides Guy; 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            Sorry for all the hockey players, basketball players, wrestlers, track and field athletes, softball players, baseball players, and on and on.... for having missed out on this moment and this opportunity.
            Indeed, very sorry for them. They are being robbed of their last chance to excel and to possibly end their career as a champion if you are a senior.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
              Can you keep the players from coming in contact with anybody in the next few weeks? Absolutely not.
              You can through common sense. My sister just got back from California from a conference. My family and my parents are not going to see her for 2 weeks. Common sense. If I had got to go to the hockey game, I was not going to see my parents for at least 2 weeks.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

You can through common sense. My sister just got back from California from a conference. My family and my parents are not going to see her for 2 weeks. Common sense. If I had got to go to the hockey game, I was not going to see my parents for at least 2 weeks.
                Funny you say this as I literally emailed my brothers & sisters last night suggesting none of us have face-to-face contact with Mom for two weeks after traveling for Spring Break, work, etc. Great minds think alike!

Comment

Funny you say this as I literally emailed my brothers & sisters last night suggesting none of us have face-to-face contact with Mom for two weeks after traveling for Spring Break, work, etc. Great minds think alike!
                  I'm working at the polls for the Wisconsin primary on April 7, where I will come into some degree of contact with a couple hundred or more people. Easter is five days later. Most likely, I'll be skipping the usual drive to see brothers sisters nieces etc over that weekend.

Comment

I only have 3 words to say: **** YOU CORONAVIRUS!
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I'm working at the polls for the Wisconsin primary on April 7, where I will come into some degree of contact with a couple hundred or more people. Easter is five days later. Most likely, I'll be skipping the usual drive to see brothers sisters nieces etc over that weekend.
                      Thank you for your service!

Comment

Thank you for your service!
                        LOL. It's not exactly joining the army.

I know the city and county clerks offices are working on 'mitigation' techniques to reduce whatever risk there might be; poll workers will learn more about them next week.

(On the other hand, two new cases confirmed in Dane County today, transmitted from a case earlier this week who had been travelling when they became infected. Not 'community spread' yet, but getting closer.)

Comment

Unfortunate end to a wide open final 8.

Comment

(On the other hand, two new cases confirmed in Dane County today, transmitted from a case earlier this week who had been travelling when they became infected. Not 'community spread' yet, but getting closer.)
                            And that's assuming it hasn't already happened, we just don't know it. You have to have pretty severe symptoms before we are even testing, and the first community spread cases in Washington, for example, almost certainly happened at least a week or two before it was ever known or announced.

Honestly, the best thing about these cancellations is that hopefully it will push other employers to start also taking mitigation steps. I work at one of the largest employers in Dane County and even though a significant portion of our workforce could work from home, nothing has been said about it yet. (I'm guessing that will change next week, if not tomorrow)

Still, a bummer of a day as a sports fan.

Comment

It’s nuts. Instead of cancelling wouldn’t a delay or something have worked, say in a couple of weeks or until things maybe get better ? If it doesn’t at least u tried. And if u have to change the setup, do it. Instead of a frozen 4 have a frozen 8.
                              Sounds corny, but hey......at least they’d be playing. No fans, even family not allowed. Free streaming. As for location just figure something out. These girls (and men’s teams) have worked their asses off and I especially feel for the seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                                It’s nuts. Instead of cancelling wouldn’t a delay or something have worked, say in a couple of weeks or until things maybe get better ? If it doesn’t at least u tried. And if u have to change the setup, do it. Instead of a frozen 4 have a frozen 8.
                                Sounds corny, but hey......at least they’d be playing. No fans, even family not allowed. Free streaming. As for location just figure something out. These girls (and men’s teams) have worked their asses off and I especially feel for the seniors.
                                There are already two players in the NBA who tested positive.

And with the horrifying lack of testing going on, there could be dozens or more athletes who already have it. We need to take action now to slow the spread.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X