Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NMH View Post
    The Massachusetts governor made a bunch of rules for government employees today and suggested the same be applied to public employees. No large gatherings was one of the edicts.
    However, a lot of places have placed that number at 5,000, which would mean we'll be having a very interesting conversation about the Frozen Four.

In all the cancellations and edicts that have already come down, there's not been a discussion about if media is still allowed at games closed to fans and the NCAA woho comms guy didn't have an answer for me. Should they close it to fans and media, I'm sure we'll see teleconferences or Skype calls or some other way for the media to get questions in.
    In Ohio, media is in the “essential” group according to DeWine, and media are allowed. Of course the Blue Jackets are ignoring the advice altogether and having fans too but that’s a separate issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      If the B16 BB tourney is still being played in front of people, then I don't see why the UW game should be played in front of no one, especially with the low amount of cases in WI. That being said, I'd bet they play the game with no spectators. If it goes on and I am one who is in the high risk zone (older and/or a history of lung issues), then I am staying home, it makes sense.

What would make no sense is to allow all these college kids to leave their campuses for spring break. That would be one of the dumbest moves in the history of recorded society. Any semblance of control would be thrown out the window.
      Maybe the B16 BB should rethink their policy. I honestly don’t know, don’t claim to have medical expertise but it is definitely disheartening to see some organizations doing everything they can to help, and others not caring at all (Blue Jackets). And it’s tough because you don’t get a sense there is a strong leading voice leading this mess so people are all over the map in how they are responding.

Comment

Re: Coronavirus

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
        Or they could just invite the Minnesota teams so they don’t have to fly!

However, only the Girls Tier I tournaments are in Minnesota (Blaine). All the other Girls and Youth tournaments are elsewhere in the country.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          If the B16 BB tourney is still being played in front of people, then I don't see why the UW game should be played in front of no one, especially with the low amount of cases in WI. That being said, I'd bet they play the game with no spectators. If it goes on and I am one who is in the high risk zone (older and/or a history of lung issues), then I am staying home, it makes sense.

What would make no sense is to allow all these college kids to leave their campuses for spring break. That would be one of the dumbest moves in the history of recorded society. Any semblance of control would be thrown out the window.
          The UW Chancellor has recommended that students not travel during spring break, but there's nothing they can do to stop students from going. Break for Madison starts Saturday, with classes resuming March 23.

Also, yesterday Barry Alvarez (UW Athletic Director) told the media that the Athletic Department was going to have an 'emergency meeting" on Tuesday night to discuss their response to COV-19. No word on any decisions. Topics discussed undoubtedly would have been women's hockey, high school boys basketball tournament. and an 8K run sponsored by the UW coming up in late April that usually drawing better than 10,000 participants, and maybe double that with friends and spectators, etc (I was already skipping the run this year - achilles tendonitis - but my niece and her husband were/are coming to town to run.)

Comment

I've decided to just curl up in the corner and quietly weep as I wait for the end. Or until the Frozen Four, whichever comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurky McLurkface View Post
              I've decided to just curl up in the corner and quietly weep as I wait for the end.
              As long as you've got your thinner, you'll be fine.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                As long as you've got your thinner, you'll be fine.
                UW Madison suspends “all University sponsored travel until April 10”
                Assume that applies to athletic department

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  The UW Chancellor has recommended that students not travel during spring break, but there's nothing they can do to stop students from going. Break for Madison starts Saturday, with classes resuming March 23.

Also, yesterday Barry Alvarez (UW Athletic Director) told the media that the Athletic Department was going to have an 'emergency meeting" on Tuesday night to discuss their response to COV-19. No word on any decisions. Topics discussed undoubtedly would have been women's hockey, high school boys basketball tournament. and an 8K run sponsored by the UW coming up in late April that usually drawing better than 10,000 participants, and maybe double that with friends and spectators, etc (I was already skipping the run this year - achilles tendonitis - but my niece and her husband were/are coming to town to run.)
                  Univ of Wisconsin-Madison is suspending face-to-face instruction for at least three weeks following spring break; so for classes of March 23 through April 10. Students living in dorms are being asked to vacate their dorm as of the beginning of spring break, March 14 (also known as 'game day'!) through at least April 10.

No word yet on what that means for the Clarkson game specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                    UW Madison suspends “all University sponsored travel until April 10”
                    Assume that applies to athletic department
                    I would assume that pertains to commercial travel. Women's hockey and men's basketball, I am sure, travel on charter flights, such that this will likely not apply. But we should know soon; at least by the end of the day.

Comment

Nicole Haase @NicoleHaase
                      BU, which is set to host the Women's Frozen Four next weekend, just moved to online classes and specifically said no large gatherings. No official word yet, but that doesn't bode well ...
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        I would assume that pertains to commercial travel. Women's hockey and men's basketball, I am sure, travel on charter flights, such that this will likely not apply. But we should know soon; at least by the end of the day.
                        Again, I predict the NCAA will not fund private charter flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                          Again, I predict the NCAA will not fund private charter flights.
                          Fairly sure UW wouldn't care. (And it is quite possible that NCAA says to a school "here's your flight money, spend it how you want." Cannot imagine them saying "no, we require you to fly commercial.")

I'll see if I can find any photos etc, on the UW Women's team twitter account of their travel last year etc. They love posting photos and videos of the team travelling.

Adding: a video on their instagram of them getting on the plane headed for 2019 Frozen Four. Quite obviously a private, chartered plane; quite obviously not a commercial flight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvP_YVEFPY-/
                          Last edited by robertearle; 03-11-2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Here's a cut & paste on what I posted on the men's thread.

I spoke with my friend who has been in the surgery department at the Ohio State Medical Center for 30 years and in his opinion it will pan out soon enough and it comes down to common sense with the same preventative measures during flu season.
                            Hand washing, don't rub your eyes or pick your nose or handle food with unwashed hands and if you are in an at risk group then avoid large crowds.
                            90% of the fatalities from it have been in the over 50 group and 90% of those in the over 50 group that have died already had some type of underlying health issue to begin with that made them susceptible.
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-11-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth:

https://news.northeastern.edu/corona...taff-students/

Scroll down to Q7, the question about large events.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                                For what it's worth:

https://news.northeastern.edu/corona...taff-students/

Scroll down to Q7, the question about large events.
                                Here's what's interesting, the Blue Jackets along with the NHL say THEY have been in contact with the CDC and their Canadian counterpart and feel ithere is no need at this point to not have their games with full fan attendance.
                                Why the two opposite opinions by Northeastern and the NHL when both say they've been in contact with the CDC?
                                Here's the Jacket's release

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news...19/c-316083620

Comment

Working...
                                X