Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    You can probably tell I am HIGHLY annoyed by what the Court did here.
    Yeah, a very stupid court decision.

Comment

• Re: Coronavirus

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      (Note also that the Court's vote was 4-3, and that one of the conservative majority lost his re-election last month, and will be replaced by a more liberal justice on July 1 (I think). So 'next time', it might well be 4-3 the other way.)
      It seems to me that when it comes to governmental "orders" relating to the pandemic that dictate what the people are allowed (or forbidden) to do, the usual definitions of "liberal" and "conservative" are now reversed. More of the traditionally "red" conservative states have been quicker to "open up" their economies, while most of the "blue" liberal states have extended their lockdowns while taking a more "conservative" approach, dictating what is permissible, or not..

On the 10:00pm news here in the Twin Cities, which is just a stones throw away from the Wisconsin border, they've shown the packed Wisconsin bars, full of young people gulping down their thinner in close proximity to one another, having fun just like normal times. Does this make those revelers "conservative" according to the broader definition nationally that argues that we should open up the economy on a more aggressive timetable?

No matter what the latest government edict may or may not be, I think it's up to each individual to decide how much "risk" he or she will smartly take, given each circumstance. As we "open up", no matter what the latest governmental pronouncement might be, there will be situations where we will inevitably be called upon to use our best judgement. Sadly, those young Wisconsin revelers crowding up to the bar and hugging one another were completely oblivious to that notion.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        I’d like to see the fatality rate of their older relatives.
        That's always the counter, but the context is on kids returning to college, not opening a college infirmary in a nursing home.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          That's always the counter, but the context is on kids returning to college, not opening a college infirmary in a nursing home.
          It varies from school to school, but for a state university in a large city, up to a 1/4 of the students might live at home. People who are ~ 20 yrs old often have grandparents who are in their 70s or 80s, and some of them live with their children. Something like this pandemic has impact beyond those directly affected by a decision. POTUS has said that he'd like K-12 to reopen because adolescents and teens do very well in surviving COVID-19. Yes, but they're also very efficient at spreading communicable illnesses from house to house.

One could make an argument that, eventually, everyone is going to be exposed to this, so let's just get it over with. Nobody in power is coming out and saying exactly that, but the actions of some of them seem to indicate as much. If life was fair, a few of those seniors sacrificed to get life "back to normal" would be those who are guided by their polling numbers far more than the scientific data.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

About 1/3 of all deaths are from nursing homes.

Among 3,734 hospitalized adults with information on underlying medical conditions, 91.7% had at least one reported underlying medical condition, the most commonly reported were hypertension, obesity, chronic metabolic disease, and cardiovascular disease.

Within the 18-49 years and ≥ 65 years age groups, the hospitalization rates increased with increasing age.

Age Group for hospitalizations:
            Cumulative Rate per 100,000
            Population Overall 60.5
            0-4 years 3.0
            5-17 years 1.4
            18-29 years 15.4
            30-39 years 32.0
            40-49 years 55.6
            50-64 years 94.4
            65-74 years 141.2
            75-84 years 232.0
            85+ years 352.0
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Not sure if this link has been posted before. Too lazy to look back.

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-in...llegiate-sport
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post

Furman University in S Carolina just cut their D1 baseball & men’s lacrosse programs. Students will continue to be on scholarship as long as they are enrolled. Dominoes may be starting to fall, sadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post

After reading the above, holy mackerel on the amount of hoops that will have to be jumped through in order to have sports.

Scholarships are year to year unless you are Big Ten which is for four years. This could get ugly in a hurry. I know of a player at the D 3 level last year who got hurt over the summer and was told to stay home as they had no money for her this past year and come back in a year.

Comment

Notre Dame announced that students will return to campus August 10th or thereabouts. San Diego State, despite the statements of the Cal State President, said that it intends to have football this fall. Gov. Grusome in Cal, caving in since the horses are leaving the barn anyway, has said that pro sports can start at the beginning of June without fans and counties are getting ready to start youth sports again. All of this leads me to believe that more likely than not, assuming no catastrophic explosion of cases, most schools and sports will start in the fall in one form or another. Crossed fingers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                      Notre Dame announced that students will return to campus August 10th or thereabouts. San Diego State, despite the statements of the Cal State President, said that it intends to have football this fall. Gov. Grusome in Cal, caving in since the horses are leaving the barn anyway, has said that pro sports can start at the beginning of June without fans and counties are getting ready to start youth sports again. All of this leads me to believe that more likely than not, assuming no catastrophic explosion of cases, most schools and sports will start in the fall in one form or another. Crossed fingers.
                      First the good news (assuming you want hockey): The Belmont Stakes are on without fans June 20th. Northern Michigan will be open for the summer including restaurants and bars. The Same with Put-in Bay. University of Southern Maine is bringing kids back in the third week of August. Virginia opened the Beaches for this weekend after restrictions last weekend were all but ignored.

Now the bad news: Ithaca College says they are returning for the fall on Oct 5. Hmmmm.
                      Colgate and Cornell are in that vicinity.

The Canadian border is closed to at least June 21.
                      Last edited by Reddington; 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

The Eagles are landing!

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...-fall/2127656/

(Leahy's letter says Aug 31, not Aug 1.)
                        Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 05-20-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Alabama-Huntsville dropped men’s hockey today.

Comment

Now we know why Northern Michigan is open plus boating...the governor has a second home and a boat. The Gov's husband called a boat company and said he was the Gov's husband and wanted to go-to the front of the line and they said you can goto the end of the line since we are three weeks behind because of the lockdown.

Comment

Memorial Day weekend. Funny how all those guys are still so young in my memories, even Vincent Charlie. For those of you who have not been in a war zone, this is not a bad approximation. You know you will probably die, just not when or how. The next person you see – if you see him - might be the one who carries your death, and there is no place to hide with no end in sight. Watching the mobs on the beaches, in the parks, and in the bars doesn’t show me anyone whom I would have at my back. No problem, though. They have all volunteered to walk point and Charlie Vincent will sort them out for me.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Among 3,734 hospitalized adults with information on underlying medical conditions, 91.7% had at least one reported underlying medical condition, the most commonly reported were hypertension, obesity, chronic metabolic disease, and cardiovascular disease. .
                              Tim, I’m sure you realize that the only age group with any testing at all for “underlying conditions” is seniors. Generally, no one gets tested until they have a BHE (bad health event, my term), and so no one has any idea how long the condition has existed. Twenty years ago, during a BHE, my wife discovered she had celiac sprue. Did that just kick in when she hit 50? Of course not. She can look back at events in her life that were obvious signs of the disease, but she was never tested for it. Ten years ago, during another BHE, she discovered she has heart disease. Again, she is able to look back at events from even her early life and realize that they were signs of the disease. When you think about it, how often does a baby go to sleep and never wake up, or a kid drop dead playing a sport? When your doctor describes these as rare, she’s not saying the disease is rare (they don’t know without testing), only that deaths attributable to the disease are rare. Those people thinking they are immune to dying from Charlie Vincent because of their age are just whistling in the dark. I hope they are correct, but I don’t believe it. In fact, you can determine what doctors think by watching what they do. The fact that they are taking extraordinary steps to keep their family members of all ages from getting CV tells you all you need to know.

Stay safe and enjoy your family!

Comment

Love the Charlie Vincent information. I was watching Santa Anita Horsetrack today for one race and the Track Personnel are quarantining together. I'm interested in seeing how the model works and maybe other sports can copy it if it goes okay.

Comment

Working...
                                X