Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coronavirus

This, of course, doesn't affect hockey, but relates to earlier discussion.

An utterly horrible, unfathomable decision, IMO. I'm angered and disappointed by it. I hope the athletes involved can find new 'homes' for their delayed senior seasons. Their gain, and Wisconsin's loss.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wisconsin-t...194125444.html

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

An utterly horrible, unfathomable decision, IMO. I'm angered and disappointed by it. I hope the athletes involved can find new 'homes' for their delayed senior seasons. Their gain, and Wisconsin's loss.

Yet another reason I’d rather be dead than red!

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
        Yet another reason I’d rather be dead than red!
        Maybe wait to see what other schools make the same lousy decision?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Maybe wait to see what other schools make the same lousy decision?
          And no way Alvarez would take this position if it was football we were talking about.

Comment

I really think Wisconsin will not be the only one here
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              I really think Wisconsin will not be the only one here
              A week ago the Ivy League denied granting an extra year of eligibility to its spring athletes and since then Harvard, Yale and Princeton have denied those athletes the option of withdrawing from school to preserve their eligibility. The Washington Post reported over 90 Ivy athletes had already entered the transfer portal.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

It does get difficult for coaches to take on Fr when there will be a whole other class of 5th year Sr's still on rosters. And if you are a Fr, you may lose a whole season of playing time to the 5th yr Sr, but in the end life is all about how you handle deflected shots and I am very disappointed UW is doing this. To go from thinking you had a second chance to play your Sr year to getting it yanked out from underneath you AGAIN is just a bad sad deal.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

This whole situation stinks for everyone. But if the schools keep the seniors and already have next years freshmen ( who btw lost their senior season of high school)...the teams become very large and people will not play. That’s not fair either, and what do you next year, and the year after.....when does it end? Or do you only do it for all-Americans. Again crappy situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                    This whole situation stinks for everyone. But if the schools keep the seniors and already have next years freshmen ( who btw lost their senior season of high school)...the teams become very large and people will not play. That’s not fair either, and what do you next year, and the year after.....when does it end? Or do you only do it for all-Americans. Again crappy situation.
                    Actually, neither college or high school lost their respective seasons...

Comment

The way this corona virus is destroying the economy, there may be no jobs for the graduating seniors to go to. Grad school may not be a bad idea if they can get money to help pay for that.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        The way this corona virus is destroying the economy, there may be no jobs for the graduating seniors to go to. Grad school may not be a bad idea if they can get money to help pay for that.
                        The economy will bounce back very nicely. Yes, some businesses that were barely holding on will be defunct, but others will be busier because of picking up the market share. Other than that, I don't see any over-riding reason why things won't take back off.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          The economy will bounce back very nicely. Yes, some businesses that were barely holding on will be defunct, but others will be busier because of picking up the market share. Other than that, I don't see any over-riding reason why things won't take back off.
                          I have to say, all this doom and gloom about the economy has been embarrassing. This rush to pass stimulus after stimulus package without even waiting to see the results of what's been enacted is ludicrous (and I lean liberal by the way). A "strong" economy should be able to withstand a 60 to 90-day major hit without much issue. If an economy can't, than it wasn't that strong in the first place.

If there's an economic lesson to be learned in all this, it's that we all have to be much more self-reliant. Imagine how much less economic panic there would be right now if:
                          - we had no national deficit?
                          - most businesses could go 60 to 90 days covering their basic expenses with cash they've saved?
                          - most people could go 60 to 90 days covering their basic expenses with cash they've saved?

A consumer-based economy is a house of cards if it isn't at least somewhat balanced with savings.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnwis View Post
                            They absolutely lost they spring sports seasons. I know this is a hockey site but we have been talking about college decisions around spring sports

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                              I have to say, all this doom and gloom about the economy has been embarrassing. This rush to pass stimulus after stimulus package without even waiting to see the results of what's been enacted is ludicrous (and I lean liberal by the way). A "strong" economy should be able to withstand a 60 to 90-day major hit without much issue. If an economy can't, than it wasn't that strong in the first place.

If there's an economic lesson to be learned in all this, it's that we all have to be much more self-reliant. Imagine how much less economic panic there would be right now if:
                              - we had no national deficit?
                              - most businesses could go 60 to 90 days covering their basic expenses with cash they've saved?
                              - most people could go 60 to 90 days covering their basic expenses with cash they've saved?

A consumer-based economy is a house of cards if it isn't at least somewhat balanced with savings.
                              Good post, couldn't agree more with everything you've said. All the government stimulus packages will provide only a temporary boost to the economy, while the tremendous debt we're adding will saddle our young ones indefinitely.

I saw where nearly a third of renters couldn't even make their April rent, let alone 60-90 days out. Not a good sign.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by mnwis View Post
                                He’s talking about Spring sports.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X