Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I can’t say I ever noticed a dip in his effort.

Maybe he’s one of those types that needs more stability and rhythm? He sure bounced around the lineup charts a lot this year (as did most).
    Agreed. He just couldn’t get the puck to find the net. It was actually pretty remarkable at times in the midst of him being the most obviously exerting player on the ice at most times.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Seems like his being out of the line-up and Zimmer coming on at the end gave the team a little push forward, but not enough to overcome the inherent poor play. The 3 guys coming in will easily fill the Turcotte/Zimmer void, may even be an upgrade. Matty DSP is equal or greater than Turcotte and Malmquist is probably better than Zimmer.

One interesting thing is that TG said they wanted/needed him in the lineup, then never put him in. Is TG making promises to players and not keeping them?
      Could you go a little more in depth on these? I know next to nothing about incoming recruits.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Saying someone is better than a would be sophomore 5th overall pick... Hard to believe.

And a kid three years younger coming out of the BCHL (39 points in 58 games) will have a bigger impact than a senior that put up about .5 points per game over the last two seasons in college hockey?
        Last edited by Bonin21; 03-18-2020, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          Saying someone is better than a would be sophomore 5th overall pick... Hard to believe.

And a kid three years younger coming out of the BCHL (39 points in 58 games) will have a bigger impact than a senior that put up about .5 points per game over the last two seasons in college hockey?
          I’m almost wondering if their all around game is better. Points are not everything. Lord knows this team could use a shot of team defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post

At the college level, I would say Matty DSP can equal what Turocotte did last year. Matty is coming with with 3 years of USHL experience, year 1 pts were 27, year 2 51 year 3 60. He's an A this year for Chicago and he will be a 20 yr old freshman. Yes he plays on a team that is rather loaded in scoring, but he's built confidence in playing with these guys and he will play with even better talent if TG outs him with the right guys. What impact they will be having in 6 years in the NHL is probably something completely different.

Zimmer barely cracked the lineup this year until the end and the years before was a 3rd/4th line guy. Being -8 scoring 11 pts in 21 games is not ideal. I'm not saying Malmquist is going to play on the top line and PP, but he's a guy who can in the future and I'd bet his +/- will be better than -8 at the end of the season. And he's another 20 yr old Fr, so I like that from a maturity standpoint as well.

Next season I'd like to see what Gorniak can do on one of the top 2 lines. He's got wheels and potential, let's stick him with Holloway and TPB and see what happens. I think sometimes a guy just needs the right opportunity to shine. An example of this would be Britta Curl. Her Fr year she started out on the 4th line and didn't generate much offense, but when she got moved up to play with Roque, she lit it up, so sometimes who you play with can hold you back or help you develop.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

At the college level, I would say Matty DSP can equal what Turocotte did last year. Matty is coming with with 3 years of USHL experience, year 1 pts were 27, year 2 51 year 3 60. He's an A this year for Chicago and he will be a 20 yr old freshman. Yes he plays on a team that is rather loaded in scoring, but he's built confidence in playing with these guys and he will play with even better talent if TG outs him with the right guys. What impact they will be having in 6 years in the NHL is probably something completely different.

Zimmer barely cracked the lineup this year until the end and the years before was a 3rd/4th line guy. Being -8 scoring 11 pts in 21 games is not ideal. I'm not saying Malmquist is going to play on the top line and PP, but he's a guy who can in the future and I'd bet his +/- will be better than -8 at the end of the season. And he's another 20 yr old Fr, so I like that from a maturity standpoint as well.

Next season I'd like to see what Gorniak can do on one of the top 2 lines. He's got wheels and potential, let's stick him with Holloway and TPB and see what happens. I think sometimes a guy just needs the right opportunity to shine. An example of this would be Britta Curl. Her Fr year she started out on the 4th line and didn't generate much offense, but when she got moved up to play with Roque, she lit it up, so sometimes who you play with can hold you back or help you develop.
              I do like that older freshmen are coming in. Granato won't be able to use the youth excuse anymore. However, I'm a little cautious on just handing any incoming freshman top 6 minutes. Make them earn it.

Comment

It can't be a good sign when a junior assistant captain leaves the team. And his brother is still on the team. It's not a good look and indicates issues in the locker room.

I love the Badgers and I want to be optimistic. But until they actually win consistently, I will remain skeptical that the Granato experience is going to work out.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                  Yes.

It does not matter what system they run if the players dont play hard. I mean it's as simple as that. All this change the system talk is pointless. Team doesn't play hard under Granato.
                  This. But it can change if they get the right team leaders. That might be part of the issue.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    It can't be a good sign when a junior assistant captain leaves the team. And his brother is still on the team. It's not a good look and indicates issues in the locker room.

I love the Badgers and I want to be optimistic. But until they actually win consistently, I will remain skeptical that the Granato experience is going to work out.
                    Kinda reminds me of when Ford left...
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

sunprairie mentions Dhooghe's stats drop. Did he get reduced ice team because of the entitled freshmen? Squeezing the stick? Do ANY of you know a player who had more heart & passion than him BEFORE this past season? I'd be ****ed as well.

With Sean leaving this DOES tell us all is not well under this staff.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        sunprairie mentions Dhooghe's stats drop. Did he get reduced ice team because of the entitled freshmen? Squeezing the stick? Do ANY of you know a player who had more heart & passion than him BEFORE this past season? I'd be ****ed as well.

And he played this year with a lot of energy as well, even though his stats were down.

*note, I just reread Todd M state journal article and he declined an interview request.
                        Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-19-2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

And TG said they wanted and needed him in the line-up, then never put him back in once he was healthy. Where there is smoke.....

MI Tech has a goalie in the transfer portal....Robbie Beydoun....after the Hayton disaster there is nothing that says this could work for UW but at some point something has to work in goal, right?

Plus thinking about the Hayton for Jurusik thing....that probably wasn't good for the locker room either.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

And TG said they wanted and needed him in the line-up, then never put him back in once he was healthy. Where there is smoke.....

MI Tech has a goalie in the transfer portal....Robbie Beydoun....after the Hayton disaster there is nothing that says this could work for UW but at some point something has to work in goal, right?

Plus thinking about the Hayton for Jurusik thing....that probably wasn't good for the locker room either.
                            Wouldn't think we would want to add another upperclassman goalie at this point. That would be a mess considering you have two freshmen who have already signed NLI's.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Not inserting Dhoogie back into the line-up was a very interesting move. I know they were winning without him but the message that sends to both the one and dones and the upperclassmen is not good. I’d like to think TG was forthright and told the team back in September. No spot is secure, you need to work for a spot and prove you need to be an every game player.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Also, isn’t this why Angelo Ricci chose not to attend UW in the 90’s? Too much talent and no guarantee of a top 6 position?

There will be blowback on the recruiting trail.

Comment

Working...
                                X