Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Even if he was coming here, even if it did actually excite me, I’m no longer able to trust such snap judgements.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      You might be right, but one would think that given the "this is the year" nature of this season, the staff would be seriously questioning what they did or what went wrong. Post season SOP is pretty much tear everything you do down and look at it under a microscope. Will they do that and will that process produce changes in the system they want to play? The way they coach it? Anything?

I don't think Oz or Tony or Mark suddenly forgot how to play or coach hockey, (Eaves didn't suddenly "forget" either, that wasn't it. ) nor do I think any of them are dumb. They're pretty smart guys. The question is what are they doing now, why are they doing it, and why isn't it producing results?

Here's (obviously) the single most significant stat:

'17 3.28ga (46th) 20-15-1

'18 3.35ga (49th) 14-19-4

'19 3.51ga (53rd) 14-18-5

'20 3.75ga (57th) 14-20-2

Taking the top 14 PWR this year and all the at-large teams the preceding 3 years, only 2 teams (out of 56) had GAA over 3.00. In '18 MI @ 3.02gaa and PSU @ 3.06gaa. That's it. And only a couple of more teams were even over 2.5gaa.

Given that, it seems pretty clear that you can't just depend on outscoring teams as an overall strategy and expect positive results. It's too hard to do consistently and it's especially too hard in the B1G. (not to mention playing the #1 SOS in the country.)

And it is very clearly not just goaltending.

So I'm interested to see what, if anything they will look to do, systems wise and otherwise. Or if they'll just chalk it up to youth and keep plowing forward. (4.00 gaa here we come!)
      Wisko I think in addition to very good points I agree with here. I think with the facilities and everything these kids have they lose sight emotionally of why they are here. Mike Eaves lost his way but he was tough on the players and they got whatever message he was giving. He was tough. Real consequences for poor play are needed. Years ago I went to Cap Ice in Middleton before an NCAA game to watch a Badgers practice, before 06. He got mad at the players and was screaming expletives you would not believe. Two years later they won it. Tony has to be too soft and Mark maybe. I cant see OZ that way.

Comment

What I'm wondering more is if rather than a coaching change happening ---> will the coaches change?
        That is the only hope. They have to change the system. I don't think TG is going to turn into Eaves as far as being a disciplinarian, so they have to change the system. Maybe getting a new assistant "bad cop" coach might help. I hope someone asks him directly is he's planning on turning over every stone to get this mess cleaned up.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
          Wisko I think in addition to very good points I agree with here. I think with the facilities and everything these kids have they lose sight emotionally of why they are here. Mike Eaves lost his way but he was tough on the players and they got whatever message he was giving. He was tough. Real consequences for poor play are needed. Years ago I went to Cap Ice in Middleton before an NCAA game to watch a Badgers practice, before 06. He got mad at the players and was screaming expletives you would not believe. Two years later they won it. Tony has to be too soft and Mark maybe. I cant see OZ that way.
          Mike is a terrific hockey coach. His vast knowledge of the game and ability to teach it, as well as his ability to motivate individual players really had nothing to do with the many times re-hashed reasons things went south for him here.

It's funny -- We've heard all season from fans here and everywhere this same idea that Tony is too soft, should bench guys, kick some ***, etc.

Everything I've heard from inside the program is that Tony is extremely demanding, to the point even that some really wonder if it's not too much.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
            This is the kind of stuff that needs to be taken to those fan relation meetings. With numbers like this that clearly show that what they have been doing isn't working, what are they going to do to correct matters? The shocking absence of a goaltending coach is certainly not helping matters either.

Again, I don't blame the goalies entirely for this drop off. If your defensive system (and how they players play) causes tons of chances to be sent your way, you will start taking on bad habits to compensate and those get exposed over time.

Something definitely needs to change and/or heads should roll.
            I agree!

Comment

What I'm wondering more is if rather than a coaching change happening ---> will the coaches change?
              Doubt it. Granato seems pretty stubborn in doing what hes doing (Dont check too much. Yank the goalie all the time. Blame youth for your problems. Stay calm all the time no matter what!). Hes been so confident in what he says over the years. Unfortunately the on ice results have not mirrored what hes been saying. At all.

Found an article from beginning of 2018 where Granato says that "this year you will see the product out there consistently." The last 2 years they've been the opposite of consistent,. Been more like schitzofrenic (no pun intended). He keeps saying the same stuff but nothing changes. If anything it's worse. Hes just a good salesman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/madison.com/sports/college/hockey/tom-oates-badgers-men-s-hockey-coach-tony-granato-faces/article_80127ecb-641c-5742-8ced-802c05d99707.amp.html

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                That is the only hope. They have to change the system. I don't think TG is going to turn into Eaves as far as being a disciplinarian, so they have to change the system. Maybe getting a new assistant "bad cop" coach might help. I hope someone asks him directly is he's planning on turning over every stone to get this mess cleaned up.
                With the talent this team has, they should have been a minimum .500 team no matter what system they run. If the players play with no heart then it doesn't matter what system they run.

I get what your saying. Different system could help. But theres gotta be a bigger problem when you have players playing hard and focused one night and then crap the bed the next night. That stuff does happen in sports where teams have a bad night. But not like this.

Comment

For the people who aren't going to just complain and will ask for something to change, here is Alvarezs email: bla@athletics.wisc.edu

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    Stress relief through shouting seems like a good idea at the moment.
                    I am at peace with myself.
                    *Sipping Chamomile tea.
                    *Took a hot bath.
                    *Did "legs" today.
                    *Connected with nature.
                    *Yoga
                    *NO Badger M. Hockey!

Nice thread title, by the way!
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                      For the people who aren't going to just complain and will ask for something to change, here is Alvarezs email: bla@athletics.wisc.edu
                      JWK@athletics.wisc.edu Jason King is the assistant AD in charge of hockey. He'll answer you, I doubt BA will unless an intern checks his email. He'll give you rahrah response, but at least he knows we are paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                        With the talent this team has, they should have been a minimum .500 team no matter what system they run. If the players play with no heart then it doesn't matter what system they run.

I get what your saying. Different system could help. But theres gotta be a bigger problem when you have players playing hard and focused one night and then crap the bed the next night. That stuff does happen in sports where teams have a bad night. But not like this.
                        You are right. It shouldn't matter what they run, they shouldn't suck. We're all grappling for understanding when there is no hope of being able to do so.

I DM'ed Todd D on twitter and he said in the season wrap up tomorrow in the paper there would be an answer to the question of what is TG thinking about making changes. We'll see what that response is.

Comment

Someone should ask who Wisconsin plays out of conference other than @Duluth and the holiday face-off tournament.

Comment

Headline: NY RANGERS HAVE AGREED TO TERMS WITH...

Oh... it's Patrick Khodorenko... not our guy yet.

Always liked Khodo's game a lot. Glad we don't have to play that kid anymore.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

As an Islanders fan, I will be happy to see Miller in the Rangers defensive lineup every time they play them.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Mike is a terrific hockey coach. His vast knowledge of the game and ability to teach it, as well as his ability to motivate individual players really had nothing to do with the many times re-hashed reasons things went south for him here.

It's funny -- We've heard all season from fans here and everywhere this same idea that Tony is too soft, should bench guys, kick some ***, etc.

Everything I've heard from inside the program is that Tony is extremely demanding, to the point even that some really wonder if it's not too much.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                                I did not know that Wisko. So its got to be something else, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X