Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Robbie Beydoun is graduate-transferring to UW. Oh, the irony of the guy who couldn’t get playing time at Tech behind Jurusik, who grew into a talented and mature college hockey goalie, getting “wooed” by UW and making his way to Madison, where the Badgers will now have four tendies in camp this year. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...a281dff0d.html

Comment

Granato is going to cut Lebedeff.

I can feel it in my bones.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Granato is going to cut Lebedeff.

I can feel it in my bones.
        Sure. He threw him under the bus all year instead of blaming the crappy play in front of him.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
          Robbie Beydoun is graduate-transferring to UW. Oh, the irony of the guy who couldn’t get playing time at Tech behind Jurusik, who grew into a talented and mature college hockey goalie, getting “wooed” by UW and making his way to Madison, where the Badgers will now have four tendies in camp this year. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...a281dff0d.html
          Paraphrasing Tommy D “maybe it’s maybe i’m a little ****ed up maybe, we need a goalie how? Tell me! Tell me how we need a goalie? What the **** is so funny about this?!?!”

Seriously though, Granato just doesn’t seem to learn from past mistakes (Hayton) and doesn’t understand or doesn’t care about optics.

This is a desperate move imo.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

So the pecking order will be Beydoun-Rowe-Lebedeff-Grannan-Garrity? I'm not convinced that either one of Lebedeff/Rowe can be a championship goaltender. I know nothing about Beydoun. Eliteprospects has Grannan coming in next year.

I don't like that Rowe/Grannan have bad numbers. Sub 90 save percentage for a few seasons now doesn't give me confidence, especially with how we *try* to play defense.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              I got rid of my last VCR when I moved back up here from Georgia. Now I'm kicking myself about getting rid of it.

I got a copy of all of the 80's Olympic coverage a while ago. It's not the best quality, but it's every game, but I think it's all of the footage that was on TV.
              I love my VHS player. I have every final since 1980 and many games from the 80's when I was in the Navy My parents would record games and send to me when stationed In Naples, Italy and Okinawa, Hawaii.
              UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Really confused by this goalie grad transfer move.

Oh, I get it, it worked out so well with Hayton (which turned out to be the biggest disappointment since Slap Shot 2).

At least this guy was in the USHL and not the NAHL.
                Last edited by MadCityRich; 04-05-2020, 10:07 AM.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  Really confused by this goalie grad transfer move.

Oh, I get it, it worked out so well with Hayton (which turned out to be the biggest disappointment since Slap Shot 2).

At least this guy was in the USHL and not the NAHL.
                  I’m not completely putting this in the Hayton category until we hear more. From the initial player announcement at least it feels completely different and I’ll give Robbie credit for that. Where Hayton came in as the “stud of the hockey world” with the attitude to match it, Robbie is saying he is looking forward to becoming part of a good goalie group. He doesn’t seem to have hockey-playing ambition beyond college and instead talked about wanting to use his grad degree to get into hockey analytics. Maybe he comes in and plays a mentor/coach role to the younger goalies, which wouldn’t be terrible as long as the coaches talk through that with the team. So before calling this Hayton 2.0, because I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, maybe this could be good for the group if Robbie actually comes in knowing and wanting to actually do the work to become part of the team and not the savior. Again, all straight from my backside, but hope is all the world leaves us with right now!

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                    I’m not completely putting this in the Hayton category until we hear more. From the initial player announcement at least it feels completely different and I’ll give Robbie credit for that. Where Hayton came in as the “stud of the hockey world” with the attitude to match it, Robbie is saying he is looking forward to becoming part of a good goalie group. He doesn’t seem to have hockey-playing ambition beyond college and instead talked about wanting to use his grad degree to get into hockey analytics. Maybe he comes in and plays a mentor/coach role to the younger goalies, which wouldn’t be terrible as long as the coaches talk through that with the team. So before calling this Hayton 2.0, because I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, maybe this could be good for the group if Robbie actually comes in knowing and wanting to actually do the work to become part of the team and not the savior. Again, all straight from my backside, but hope is all the world leaves us with right now!
                    With all due respect, that's not how I read this statement from Milewski: "He's applying to study for a master's degree in either business analytics or data analytics and said his goal is to follow his playing career by working in hockey analytics." Beydoun didn't say his "college" career, he said his "playing" career. A "playing" career could include the pros.

I also interpreted the article that he has every intention of battling for the starting role and playing significant minutes. Furthermore, I suspect he wouldn't have signed if the Wiscy coaches didn't tell him that was a very likely assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                      With all due respect, that's not how I read this statement from Milewski: "He's applying to study for a master's degree in either business analytics or data analytics and said his goal is to follow his playing career by working in hockey analytics." Beydoun didn't say his "college" career, he said his "playing" career. A "playing" career could include the pros.

I also interpreted the article that he has every intention of battling for the starting role and playing significant minutes. Furthermore, I suspect he wouldn't have signed if the Wiscy coaches didn't tell him that was a very likely assumption.
                      That's what I got out of it.

I'm sure he's a great kid (after all, he's a 'tendie) and he is definitely intelligent. I just don't like this move on Granato's part. That said if he becomes the starter, I hope he holds down the fort.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                        So the pecking order will be Beydoun-Rowe-Lebedeff-Grannan-Garrity? I'm not convinced that either one of Lebedeff/Rowe can be a championship goaltender. I know nothing about Beydoun. Eliteprospects has Grannan coming in next year.

I don't like that Rowe/Grannan have bad numbers. Sub 90 save percentage for a few seasons now doesn't give me confidence, especially with how we *try* to play defense.
                        Grannan isn't coming next year per Todd D Milewski. See my DM with Todd below.

What's the deal with Noah grannan? Indications were he was supposed to come next year but there's no talk about that anymore online anywhere.
                        Mar 11, 2020, 9:54 PM
                        Seen
                        I wrote about it before the exhibition game on new year's day. He's not coming in for at least another year, maybe 2. Had a really bad u17 year and hasn't been much better this year from what I know
                        Last edited by Timothy A; 04-06-2020, 07:05 AM.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                          I agree to the extent that we don't really know WHAT happened to Hayton, so we can't assume Robbie will go down the same path, but we do know Hayton got tossed into the hype machine. It will be fascinating to see how TG handles this, either going "full bore hype machine" or "he's here to compete, let's see how it shakes out". I vote for #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I agree to the extent that we don't really know WHAT happened to Hayton, so we can't assume Robbie will go down the same path, but we do know Hayton got tossed into the hype machine. It will be fascinating to see how TG handles this, either going "full bore hype machine" or "he's here to compete, let's see how it shakes out". I vote for #2.
                            I vote for #2, too. And if that is what happens, at least we'll know the team learned something from the dangers of the hype machine. I also want to clarify what I write above - of course I expect Robbie to compete. He's a D1 college athlete, that's what they do. I am just glad to see him saying the right things about being part of the team on the way in. By all accounts from Tech he was a good teammate, and that was never the Hayton storyline. If Robbie has that mindset, adding a 24-year-old goalie on a team that lacks mature leadership might not be the worst thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Grannan isn't coming next year per Todd D Milewski. See my DM with Todd below.

What's the deal with Noah grannan? Indications were he was supposed to come next year but there's no talk about that anymore online anywhere.
                              Mar 11, 2020, 9:54 PM
                              Seen
                              I wrote about it before the exhibition game on new year's day. He's not coming in for at least another year, maybe 2. Had a really bad u17 year and hasn't been much better this year from what I know
                              I have Grannan pushed off until at least '21-'22 at this point... but it may be further.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

In looking at Hayton's post UW days, he didn't play hockey last year and the year before had UW like numbers for 3 different ECHL teams over only 24 games. I think something was going on there, there is a story to be told. A player just doesn't go from being an elite player to off a cliff like that and never bounce back.

Comment

Working...
                                X