Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin 2020 Off-season thread - Serenity Now!

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    The women's side has Covid thread that stayed very nice, though it's petered out a bit now.

I've got probably 50 vhs tapes of UW games from the late 80 & 90's. If someone was bored and wanted to convert them to dvd or another digital form, I'd be ok with allowing that to happen to my tapes. Years ago myself, a poster named Terry Switzer and maybe one other person traded tapes with each other, so that added to my library. I even picked up some 1980 Olympic games.
    I got rid of my last VCR when I moved back up here from Georgia. Now I'm kicking myself about getting rid of it.

I got a copy of all of the 80's Olympic coverage a while ago. It's not the best quality, but it's every game, but I think it's all of the footage that was on TV.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      The women's side has Covid thread that stayed very nice, though it's petered out a bit now.

I've got probably 50 vhs tapes of UW games from the late 80 & 90's. If someone was bored and wanted to convert them to dvd or another digital form, I'd be ok with allowing that to happen to my tapes. Years ago myself, a poster named Terry Switzer and maybe one other person traded tapes with each other, so that added to my library. I even picked up some 1980 Olympic games.
      I’d pay money for any/all 1990 games. Parents are 91’ alums. I’d be interested to see the type of hockey they saw at my current age.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
        I’d pay money for any/all 1990 games. Parents are 91’ alums. I’d be interested to see the type of hockey they saw at my current age.
        All I can get you is the '90 championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBrFhUH7No

I put that one online a while ago.

Comment

This company in Madison could digitize vhs to dvd for you.

http://www.sooperdooper.net/
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
            All I can get you is the '90 championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBrFhUH7No

I put that one online a while ago.
            A lot of you aren't aware of the significance of Badger Hockey success in those days and the atmosphere in Madison regarding major Badger sports.

°Up until 1991"ish" The football program was one of the worst in the country. (Alvarez started in 1990). The football program was in disarray, with a debt of over $2 million and with only about 30,000 SOLD tickets (not gate counts) at the 77,000-capacity stadium.

°The basketball program was crappy as well. NO NCAA appearances and a couple of NIT invites. Attendance was "said" to be in the 7,000 range, but fans (in what was called "The Faithful 5,000"), always laughed at any reports over 6,000 in the field house.

Badger hockey was IT (now it's **it). Traveling fans made national news. There was a waiting list for tickets. Unless you "knew" somebody, you couldn't have season tickets for both nights.

This was all we had to cheer for back then.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              A lot of you aren't aware of the significance of Badger Hockey success in those days and the atmosphere in Madison regarding major Badger sports.

°Up until 1991"ish" The football program was one of the worst in the country. (Alvarez started in 1990). The football program was in disarray, with a debt of over $2 million and with only about 30,000 SOLD tickets (not gate counts) at the 77,000-capacity stadium.

°The basketball program was crappy as well. NO NCAA appearances and a couple of NIT invites. Attendance was "said" to be in the 7,000 range, but fans (in what was called "The Faithful 5,000"), always laughed at any reports over 6,000 in the field house.

Badger hockey was IT (now it's **it). Traveling fans made national news. There was a waiting list for tickets. Unless you "knew" somebody, you couldn't have season tickets for both nights.

I remember those days fondly. It was amazing to be able to get a ticket to a game at the Coliseum, and the energy in the building was insane. I was born in 74, so I grew up in a golden age of UW hockey and will never forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                This company in Madison could digitize vhs to dvd for you.

http://www.sooperdooper.net/
                Thanks. My wife bought a thingamajob that can do the trick. I also have tons of original Iron Chef's that I need digitized. That is my all time favorite show. I also have some older F1 and Indycar races I need done too.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Thanks. My wife bought a thingamajob that can do the trick. I also have tons of original Iron Chef's that I need digitized. That is my all time favorite show. I also have some older F1 and Indycar races I need done too.
                  No problem. Whoa! Any races with Senna v Prost?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

That’s exactly as I recall it. When my Dad moved the family from Chicago to Brookfield, wi the badgers were mediocre or terrible in b-ball and football but the hockey team was winning NCAA championships, selling out every night and the Great Dane was referred to in SI as the Montreal Forum Of college hockey.

The atmosphere was incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      No problem. Whoa! Any races with Senna v Prost?
                      I'm a Schumi guy, so not unless they were racing for 2nd and 3rd LOL.

Comment

Don't know how many of you saw this....

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...7c436c979.html

People are f*n a$#holes.
                        Last edited by gwhinwi; 04-03-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I'm a Schumi guy, so not unless they were racing for 2nd and 3rd LOL.
                          Ive been a Raikkonen guy since my first F-1 race at Indy in 2000. MCR Jr and I went to 5 in the 7 year stretch. Jr was always a Schumi kid. With Kimi's retirement on the horizon, Max Verstappen is my next man up, possibly Valtteri Bottas. Ive softened on F-1 the past few years and have been following the IMSA Weathertech Series and World Endurance Championship.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

People are f*n a$#holes.
                            Welcome to social media. I hate it cowards can hide behind a keyboard. Welcome to New York, son.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              Ive been a Raikkonen guy since my first F-1 race at Indy in 2000. MCR Jr and I went to 5 in the 7 year stretch. Jr was always a Schumi kid. With Kimi's retirement on the horizon, Max Verstappen is my next man up, possibly Valtteri Bottas. Ive softened on F-1 the past few years and have been following the IMSA Weathertech Series and World Endurance Championship.
                              I typically root for Germans due to myself being mostly of German decent and for Ferrari since the Schumi Todt and Braun resurrected them. I was pretty jazzed to see Vettel in the prancing stallions, but they are not able to give him a car that he needs and he has lost a bit of personal performance.

I am also a Ford guy, I am PO'ed they took the GT out of service in the 2 series they were in. I know they just followed the plan, but they should have changed their minds and continued on.

On the hockey front, there is a great interview with Oz out there. https://t.co/67JvZ97IHD?amp=1 It was nice to get confirmation that Ranta couldn't get into UW due to grades and that the Skille/Kessel thing was real. Oz said semiquote "You knew if you were going to get one you weren't getting the other". Turned out ok for us. He also said he was happy for DG about the Hawks gig but disappointed he left because he was so tight with him. I didn't know the TG, DG and Oz knew each other since Oz was in 8th grade. I really wanted to know what went wrong at OSU, but despite the interview being over an hour, they didn't get to it. He also implied that this trend of getting brothers on the team had reached it's limit. I think there's some easy reading between the lines there. He also had some good points about the USDP and how DG ran it vs how it is being run now and the decisions a player has to make trying to figure out where they fit it.

One overall picture I got out of it is that at many of his stops the most talented teams didn't necessarily win the most games or the titles. There is a special ingredient of leadership that is required to get the mix to work right. I always knew that, but sometimes it gets a little lost. It refreshing to hear Oz talk from his heart and as if he was sharing a beer with a buddy around a campfire. There were no talking points or company lines that had to be towed.
                              Last edited by Timothy A; 04-04-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

People are f*n a$#holes.
                                That is absolutely horrible!! Wow, I saw Todd’s retweets this morning about it. Just disgraceful.

Comment

Working...
                                X