LSSU Lakers 2020 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    I wonder if Damon will try to get Long Island University to play at Abel Arena in their inaugural year like Arizona State did?
    I posted this in the LIU thread, but could they be interested in Frank Anzalone? He’s a Brooklyn guy who took a small, upstart program to the promised land....

Comment

Re: LSSU Lakers 2020 off-season thread

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
      I posted this in the LIU thread, but could they be interested in Frank Anzalone? He’s a Brooklyn guy who took a small, upstart program to the promised land....
      He's not as young as he used to be. I'm not sure if he'd be interested in a head coaching job any longer, or if LIU would even be interested in someone his age (66). They might want to go with a younger guy to build a program around.

Comment

I wonder if Damon will try to get Long Island University to play at Abel Arena in their inaugural year like Arizona State did?
        Hard to say. A lot of scheduling occurs a couple of years out with mainly the dates needing to be finalized. The Lakers are supposed to go to Union this coming season so it's very possible Union may visit the Lakers the following season. If so, that would eat up a couple of non-conference games on that season's (2021-22) schedule.

Despite the early headlines, it seems that 2021-22 is most likely the first season for LIU, assuming they actually start a D1 program. At this time, they have no coach, no players and no schedule, so starting this Fall seems kind of far fetched. Possible I suppose, but it doesn't seem likely.

Comment

I am sure Anzalone is still Anzalone and that alone keeps him off the hiring list .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            I am sure Anzalone is still Anzalone and that alone keeps him off the hiring list .
            I think without Anzalone, there wouldn't be a single NCAA championship banner hanging inside Taffy Abel.

Anzalone claimed he was wrongfully fired in 2005. Is that true? Here's a Soo Today article on that subject:
            https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...mination-97809
            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

The 2020-21 conference schedule came out today. Just the league games, not non-conference or exhibition games unfortunately.

http://www.wcha.com/men/articles/202...-On-18kbhbm4iw

Looks like the Lakers will be on the road quite a bit to start the season and play the Alaska schools a lot to start as well.
              Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 05-06-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Interesting final WCHA schedule. New Year’s Day hockey sounds fun. Maybe not for Huntsville.

Comment

Anzalone claimed he was wrongfully fired in 2005. Is that true? Here's a Soo Today article on that subject:
                  https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...mination-97809
                  Hard to say. I doubt any of us on here know all the details. You'd have to hear Frank give his side of the story and compare it to the school's side of the story, and then make a judgement based upon that. But even then, there would likely be differences between the two stories so how would you know for sure what the truth was.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                    Interesting final WCHA schedule. New Year’s Day hockey sounds fun. Maybe not for Huntsville.
                    Interesting to see the Lakers open up in Alaska the very first weekend of the season. I think the series was going to be played in February but according to Damon on the last Laker Hockey Show, he was unhappy with lots of travel the last month of the season and was looking to get a series moved. I noticed the 3rd weekend of Feburary both the Nanooks and Lakers are idle.

Most likely the Lakers will play at Union Oct 16-17. The weekend before is possible but extremely unlikely because it would be right after the Alaska trip.
                    Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 05-07-2020, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Most likely the Lakers will play at Union Oct 16-17. The weekend before is possible but extremely unlikely because it would be right after the Alaska trip.
                      Looking at both teams' known schedules, Union plays at Colorado College Oct 16-17 so it won't be that weekend. It'd have to be Oct 9-10 or otherwise it's Thanksgiving weekend or December.

Comment

LSSU is planning to start and end the Fall semester earlier than normal for the new school year, and to start and end the Spring semester a little later than normal, with a fairly long mid year break. Face-to-face instruction is planned.

https://www.lssu.edu/news/lake-super...2020-semester/

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
                          Looking at both teams' known schedules, Union plays at Colorado College Oct 16-17 so it won't be that weekend. It'd have to be Oct 9-10 or otherwise it's Thanksgiving weekend or December.
                          The Lakers play a game vs Notre Dame Thanksgiving weekend so it's not that.

Comment

The Lakers play a game vs Notre Dame Thanksgiving weekend so it's not that.
                            The 9/10 weekend at Union would be possible. Denver last year went from the Alaska series on Saturday/Sunday, flew to Detroit for a few days and then went to the Sault for the series at Lake State. The Lakers could be planning something similar fly back to Detroit after the Alaska series, and make their way over to Union strait from Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              LSSU is planning to start and end the Fall semester earlier than normal for the new school year, and to start and end the Spring semester a little later than normal, with a fairly long mid year break. Face-to-face instruction is planned.

https://www.lssu.edu/news/lake-super...2020-semester/
                              Good news. Hopefully the big U.S flag that was flown on campus gets put back up by then. I was very disappointed when I heard it got taken down.

Also I hope the road that Taffy Abel is on gets fixed and resurfaced as well. Like a lot of Michigan roads, it is garbage.

Comment

Good news. Hopefully the big U.S flag that was flown on campus gets put back up by then. I was very disappointed when I heard it got taken down.

Also I hope the road that Taffy Abel is on gets fixed and resurfaced as well. Like a lot of Michigan roads, it is garbage.
                                The flag was taken down when they were working on the cell tower that is in the pole. The last I knew, they were still waiting for the correct parts. IDK if they ever finished the repairs.

Comment

Working...
                                X