2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Another quick video intro, this time from incoming freshman forward Maeve Connolly:

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...97561680412672

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      Another quick video intro, this time from incoming freshman forward Maeve Connolly:

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...97561680412672
      Connolly looks skilled in the Prep School videos I quickly watched. Penn State at Nobles that is a first. I would like to see video with the East Coast Wizards at Stoney or NAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
        Connolly looks skilled in the Prep School videos I quickly watched. Penn State at Nobles that is a first. I would like to see video with the East Coast Wizards at Stoney or NAHA.
        I managed to find one video of Connolly scoring a goal, and she looked like a smart player in that game (can't remember who they were playing). It's going to be an interesting season, seeing where Jeff Kampersal decides to place these freshmen, because there are a few really good ones coming.

I get so frustrated trying to find videos of anything a player does before they get to college. Even updated pre-college stats aren't always common.

Comment

Has anyone ever tried to get corrections made to collegecomittments.com? They do have current committed players listed, but they have some very outdated listings, too.

Comment

Has anyone ever tried to get corrections made to collegecomitments.com? They do have current committed players listed, but they have some very outdated listings, too.
            I just took a look at collegecommitments.com, and see that they made the changes to Penn State's commitment listings and now have them current. I didn't get a reply or anything from them, but it's good to know they respond to input. There are some ooooooold listings for other schools, like for players who began their D-1 time in 2015.

Comment

I just took a look at collegecommitments.com, and see that they made the changes to Penn State's commitment listings and now have them current. I didn't get a reply or anything from them, but it's good to know they respond to input. There are some ooooooold listings for other schools, like for players who began their D-1 time in 2015.
              Penn State catches a break with Nystrom transferring to Mercyhurst rather than transferring to RIT. Mercyhurst lost Blair so I would call that a wash for Mercyhurst on the goalie situation. RIT loses their stellar goalie to graduation.

Comment

Penn State catches a break with Nystrom transferring to Mercyhurst rather than transferring to RIT. Mercyhurst lost Blair so I would call that a wash for Mercyhurst on the goalie situation. RIT loses their stellar goalie to graduation.
                If I'm Penn State and my goal is to win the title, I'd rather have a strong goalie at one of the weaker teams in the league instead of the defending champ. RIT proved a few years back that a halfway-decent team with a good goaltender is a threat to win the CHA tourney, and Penn State figures to have a good goaltender.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

But Mercyhurst is stronger than any goalie situation they might find themselves in. They have enough of everything else to counter any shortcomings between the pipes, unfortunately for everyone else in the CHA. It was surprising to see Kennedy Blair bolt, though...that's got to be a tough pill to swallow. Terra Lanteigne is a big loss for RIT. She had kind of a weird senior season, but overall she was a great goalie. I have no read at all on RIT in 2020-21...they went downhill in a hurry, and then started back up, and now their coaching staff got canned. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  If I'm Penn State and my goal is to win the title, I'd rather have a strong goalie at one of the weaker teams in the league instead of the defending champ. RIT proved a few years back that a halfway-decent team with a good goaltender is a threat to win the CHA tourney, and Penn State figures to have a good goaltender.
                  Agreed, because even a good goalie can only keep a mediocre team in a game for so long. If the rest of the team is doing nothing, and hanging their goalie out to dry for 60 minutes, it's probably only going to take one (sometimes two) goals to win. Even if Ena Nystrom didn't exactly have stellar numbers at RPI, Mercyhurst has enough muscle on the rest of the team to cover for anything their goalies can't cover of Kennedy Blair's absence. I think Nystrom's numbers will look a lot better now that she has a much better team in front of her.

Comment

Sad to see Blair go as she helped Hurst to two tournament championships and a reg season championship in 3 years here. Had a chance to chat with her at a post game skate once and she was very gracious with my little one. I wish her the best. Not too surprised to see her go just as that’s something we’re seeing more and more of and if you’ve completed one degree, academically it’s a clean break. She is from North Dakota and chose to play college hockey near home, until that opportunity was taken away. Not surprised she’s heading west now. Hopefully her parents can watch a few more games of hers this way.

Hurst should be strong in net with Nystrom and Silvonen - two National Team players for their respective countries. Silvonen was named to the Women’s Worlds team that never got to play.

Specific to Penn State they need a goal scorer or a system that promotes scoring. Defensively I dread Hurst playing them, but offensively they just don’t threaten much. I suspect some of it is due to Kampersal and his coaching style. Sisti coaches similarly imo but the program has played a little looser in the past few years. Would be interesting to have a parallel world and see what Fillier and Connors would be like under Kampersal. I’m sure he and his staff are recruiting better players than the old staff was able to get so we’ll se what the new season brings. It is not lost on me Penn State defeated Hurst in the last game of the reg season so the field is wide open as is often the case.
                    Last edited by Lindsay; 05-12-2020, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      Sad to see Blair go as she helped Hurst to two tournament championships and a reg season championship in 3 years here. Had a chance to chat with her at a post game skate once and she was very gracious with my little one. I wish her the best. Not too surprised to see her go just as that’s something we’re seeing more and more of and if you’ve completed one degree, academically it’s a clean break. She is from North Dakota and chose to play college hockey near home, until that opportunity was taken away. Not surprised she’s heading west now. Hopefully her parents can watch a few more games of hers this way.

Hurst should be strong in net with Nystrom and Silvonen - two National Team players for their respective countries. Silvonen was named to the Women’s Worlds team that never got to play.

Specific to Penn State they need a goal scorer or a system that promotes scoring. Defensively I dread Hurst playing them, but offensively they just don’t threaten much. I suspect some of it is due to Kampersal and his coaching style. Sisti coaches similarly imo but the program has played a little looser in the past few years. Would be interesting to have a parallel world and see what Fillier and Connors would be like under Kampersal. I’m sure he and his staff are recruiting better players than the old staff was able to get so we’ll se what the new season brings. It is not lost on me Penn State defeated Hurst in the last game of the reg season so the field is wide open as is often the case.
                      I liked the comment "A system that promotes scoring."

Comment

This might be a step toward a more productive scoring system this season - incoming freshman Jess Ciarrocchi (what she says about her game makes her sound like a new Brooke Madsen):

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...20387528527877

Comment

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin;6947993]This might be a step toward a more productive scoring system this season - incoming freshman Jess Ciarrocchi (what she says about her game makes her sound like a new Brooke Madsen):

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...20387528527877[/QUOT

Since Penn State is evidently no longer targeting Minnesota players, another Prep school player, this time from the Hill School. I am not really familiar with the Hill School so perhaps someone else may know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                            Specific to Penn State they need a goal scorer or a system that promotes scoring. Defensively I dread Hurst playing them, but offensively they just don’t threaten much. I suspect some of it is due to Kampersal and his coaching style. Sisti coaches similarly imo but the program has played a little looser in the past few years.
                            I wonder if it's been Kampersal wanting to be sure to have a strong defensive team until he starts getting the players on the roster that he has in mind for turning up the offense more to his liking (how's that for eternally optimistic? ). I wish Natalie Heising had been a couple years later in coming to Penn State.

Comment

I wonder if it's been Kampersal wanting to be sure to have a strong defensive team until he starts getting the players on the roster that he has in mind for turning up the offense more to his liking (how's that for eternally optimistic? ). I wish Natalie Heising had been a couple years later in coming to Penn State.
                              Lindsay asked the million dollar question - would Fillier and Connors have their gaudy numbers in Kampresal's Penn State System?

Comment

Lindsay asked the million dollar question - would Fillier and Connors have their gaudy numbers in Kampresal's Penn State System?
                                The answer is yes...because they are Fillier and Connors. This has very little to do with systems and more to do with player creativity, talent, and skill levels of teammates.

Comment

Working...
                                X