Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020-21 Penn State Nittany Lions

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Have you thought about obtaining a media credential? You could reach out to some existing sites that cover women's hockey (e.g., The Ice Garden; or USCHO, but I'm not sure that is the direction that they are going) to see if they have any interest in posting highlights content that you are generating. I'm sure that you would have to sign some agreements that limits what you can post, like the length of the highlights and disclaimers that you have to include. Check with TTT for advice, given he is already doing something similar. In the world of NCAA women's college hockey, "professional" media members are even less professional than pro women's hockey players are.
    Well, I did do an official credentials request to Penn State, knowing it would be denied (and it was, because I'm not affiliated with any real media entity). I really only requested credentials to be able to say I did it. I never thought about your idea of trying to go through an actual media source for credentials, but I think that would probably kill the "fun" aspect of it for me if there were standards and expectations for whatever content I came up with. I just do videos to show a little of the game to people who can't be there to watch it in person, and mostly started doing it because Penn State never puts out any real highlight videos. I really appreciate your suggestion, though - the long off-season might make me reconsider it (over and over again...hahaha).

Good luck! And I don't blame you if you decide that it just isn't worth the trouble.
    I'm leaning toward that, for sure. Penn State is good at seeing the simplest things as business concerns, but I suppose I get it. Everything is about money and whose toes you might be stepping on. Whatever...I really wish Penn State would do more with video, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Brenneman must be coming back if they are featuring her movie choices. ☺️
      Man, wouldn't that make for quite the dilemma for Jeff Kampersal? I know officially he would say he's making the goalies compete for the starting position, but really? Maybe that's true if there's a big difference in the talent level of your goalies, just so you can say (at least hypothetically) that they all had an even shot at starting. But what about when you have two goalies as good as Jenna Brenneman and Chantal Burke? How do you choose between a grad-student goalie who lost her senior year to injury, and a true senior who had a phenomenal junior season? Man...first world problems, eh?

In Brenneman's case, she transferred to Penn State from Clarkson to get playing time as a junior and senior, which I'm sure was the implication that got her to come here. Losing her senior year to injury, are you bound by any transfer deal that was made - or implied - and compelled to start Brenneman over Burke?

In Burke's case, how do you disregard her stellar performance last season and not start her over Brenneman? She finished in the top ten nationally, and was the best in the CHA. How could you have a goalie like that working the door on the bench?

It would be an interesting situation to have four goalies on the team, with incoming freshman Josie Bothun added to the mix, and two of them being the caliber of Jenna Brenneman and Chantal Burke.

Rene Gangarosa broke the single season scoring D record of Bella Sutton and had the second highest block total in school history behind none other than Kelsey Crowe.
      Bella Sutton was a great addition to Penn State at the level they were at when she got here. She had a rocket of a shot from the blue line. Kelsey Crowe was an even better defender. I think Crowe could keep playing as Penn State continues to progress, more than Sutton would have, but Sutton was good in her time, for sure. On today's Penn State team, Rene Gangarosa is a perfect fit - strong and sound defensively, and very effective offensively. I really like her style.

Heising joins rare company with three double digit goal scoring years in a row.
      I can't wait to see how Natalie Heising works as a senior, especially if she's paired with incoming freshman Kiara Zanon. I'm imagining a line with Heising, Zanon, and Shea Nelson. Naturally, Kampersal won't put anything like that together, now that I said that . Katie Rankin and Rachel Weiss are two other possible additions to a top line, and then you have a group leftover for mix and match lines.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Man, wouldn't that make for quite the dilemma for Jeff Kampersal? I know officially he would say he's making the goalies compete for the starting position, but really? Maybe that's true if there's a big difference in the talent level of your goalies, just so you can say (at least hypothetically) that they all had an even shot at starting. But what about when you have two goalies as good as Jenna Brenneman and Chantal Burke? How do you choose between a grad-student goalie who lost her senior year to injury, and a true senior who had a phenomenal junior season? Man...first world problems, eh?

In Brenneman's case, she transferred to Penn State from Clarkson to get playing time as a junior and senior, which I'm sure was the implication that got her to come here. Losing her senior year to injury, are you bound by any transfer deal that was made - or implied - and compelled to start Brenneman over Burke?

In Burke's case, how do you disregard her stellar performance last season and not start her over Brenneman? She finished in the top ten nationally, and was the best in the CHA. How could you have a goalie like that working the door on the bench?

It would be an interesting situation to have four goalies on the team, with incoming freshman Josie Bothun added to the mix, and two of them being the caliber of Jenna Brenneman and Chantal Burke.

Bella Sutton was a great addition to Penn State at the level they were at when she got here. She had a rocket of a shot from the blue line. Kelsey Crowe was an even better defender. I think Crowe could keep playing as Penn State continues to progress, more than Sutton would have, but Sutton was good in her time, for sure. On today's Penn State team, Rene Gangarosa is a perfect fit - strong and sound defensively, and very effective offensively. I really like her style.

I can't wait to see how Natalie Heising works as a senior, especially if she's paired with incoming freshman Kiara Zanon. I'm imagining a line with Heising, Zanon, and Shea Nelson. Naturally, Kampersal won't put anything like that together, now that I said that . Katie Rankin and Rachel Weiss are two other possible additions to a top line, and then you have a group leftover for mix and match lines.
        I have no idea why you would get tripodded (I may have made up a word) when one can argue you do a more effective job of marketing the program than the school itself. Of course whatever you are doing may not fit their narrative whatever that might be.

Your videos are more in line with when Penn State first started with Yoxheimer. Your productions have a reality TV type of feel and I think it is what people want right now.
        Last edited by Reddington; 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Senior Kate Rydland was named the 2020 Ms. Penn State: https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...35685749645317

Comment

Senior Kate Rydland was named the 2020 Ms. Penn State: https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...35685749645317
            I watched the Rydland video and it is easy to see why the Coaches loved her - smart, very good speaker and says all the right things. That's not an easy award to get at Penn State and is a nice feather in the cap for the team.

Comment

Well, here's a good one: an intro from another incoming freshman goalie, Annie Spring from Chicago Mission. Say what?

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...72422690459654

On collegecommittments.com, she's listed as starting in 2021-22, and in Penn State's article in November about the incoming 2020-21 freshmen, there's no mention of Annie Spring. If Jenna Brenneman is coming back as a redshirt senior/grad student, that would make five goalies on the Penn State team for 2020-21 (Brenneman, Burke, Leonard, Spring, and Bothun).

2021-22 would see Cam Leonard as a redshirt senior goalie, and Annie Spring and Josie Bothun as sophomore goalies, unless one of them is smart enough to redshirt her freshman season.

Comment

Well, here's a good one: an intro from another incoming freshman goalie, Annie Spring from Chicago Mission. Say what?

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...72422690459654

On collegecommittments.com, she's listed as starting in 2021-22, and in Penn State's article in November about the incoming 2020-21 freshmen, there's no mention of Annie Spring. If Jenna Brenneman is coming back as a redshirt senior/grad student, that would make five goalies on the Penn State team for 2020-21 (Brenneman, Burke, Leonard, Spring, and Bothun).

2021-22 would see Cam Leonard as a redshirt senior goalie, and Annie Spring and Josie Bothun as sophomore goalies, unless one of them is smart enough to redshirt her freshman season.
                Bothun will transfer before this even happens. She has been scared of competition her whole life! Has jumped from one team to the next whenever competition arises.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankyape View Post
                  Bothun will transfer before this even happens. She has been scared of competition her whole life! Has jumped from one team to the next whenever competition arises.
                  To be honest, I'm kind of watching to see what Josie Bothun does, coming into a program with potentially four other goalies and not a chance in h*ll to play as a freshman ahead of Jenna Brenneman (if she's back as a grad student) and Chantal Burke. Even as a sophomore, she won't be a lock, either, depending on how good Annie Spring is - I know nothing about her.
                  -------------------------
                  More coolness - here's a Penn State podcast with former standout women's hockey player Laura Bowman: https://gopsusports.com/podcasts/epi...aura-bowman/42

(Warning to Minnesota fans: she didn't fully appreciate Penn State football at Beaver Stadium until she went to a football game at the University of Minnesota and thought it was pretty lame - her words, not mine )

Comment

(Warning to Minnesota fans: she didn't fully appreciate Penn State football at Beaver Stadium until she went to a football game at the University of Minnesota and thought it was pretty lame - her words, not mine )
                    Thanks for the warning, but Miss Bowman must have missed last fall's game, in which the Gophers beat the Nittany Lions to stay undefeated at 9-0. And she probably didn't get a chance to see why they are an up and rising program: "Why Minnesota?".

https://***********/i/status/1253418917076234241
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Thanks for the warning, but Miss Bowman must have missed last fall's game, in which the Gophers beat the Nittany Lions to stay undefeated at 9-0. And she probably didn't get a chance to see why they are an up and rising program: "Why Minnesota?".

https://***********/i/status/1253418917076234241
                      Don't let her fool you - she's got Gopher blood in there somewhere.

Comment

Don't let her fool you - she's got Gopher blood in there somewhere.
                        She would have fit in very nicely had she stayed home, for sure.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Assistant coach Celeste Brown breaks down a nice defense-to-offense transition: https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...64273539616773

Comment

Assistant coach Celeste Brown breaks down a nice defense-to-offense transition: https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...64273539616773
                            She'll be the new head coach at RIT now that they've fired the coaches from this year. You heard it here first!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              She'll be the new head coach at RIT now that they've fired the coaches from this year. You heard it here first!
                              Say three Mail Harry's and cross yourself! I think Celeste Brown really connects with the players, and I sure would hate to lose her, especially to RIT.

Comment

Say three Mail Harry's and cross yourself! I think Celeste Brown really connects with the players, and I sure would hate to lose her, especially to RIT.
                                Well it is her alma mater so she knows first-hand the pros and cons of the school and the athletics department and the history of the head coaches. So either she goes for it, or she stays clear of the mess and decides to stay put and continue learning until a better head coaching job arises. Still, don't be surprised to see her back at RIT as their program's first female head coach since Julie Handzel was the coach from 1990 to 1995! You go girl!
                                Last edited by shelfit; 05-01-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X