UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonar View Post
    Going by the Whit is part of my daily run/walk .... stopped and looked through the glass doors. Dark inside - but thought I could see a few ghosts .... even a few that managed to sneak over from Snively.
    Bob Cullen? Chris Serino?

Pete Stoutenberg? Guy Smith? Billy Munroe?

Comment

Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Anyone seen any heavy construction equipment outside the Whitt?
      Shrink the Rink is currently on hold - it sounds like it won't happen this year due to the pandemic. I live in Durham also and I just saw the following in the weekly updates from the Town of Durham:

UNH, CHURCHILL RINK DASHER BOARD REPLACEMENT ON HOLD DUE TO PANDEMIC

A brief update on the arrangement the Town had pending with UNH to acquire the Whittemore Center’s used dasher boards, that had been slated to be replaced by the University this summer as part of a substantial retrofit of that facility. Based on current circumstances, UNH has put the project on hold. Although they may proceed with the refrigeration room segment of the work before next season if things clear up soon, Durham Rink Manager Bill Page has been notified the concrete slab and board work have been cancelled for now. No indication at this juncture what plans are for the long term future on those. Preferred Contractors is processing a refund check for the deposit made by the Town.
      THINK PINK
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
        Shrink the Rink is currently on hold - it sounds like it won't happen this year due to the pandemic. I live in Durham also and I just saw the following in the weekly updates from the Town of Durham:

UNH, CHURCHILL RINK DASHER BOARD REPLACEMENT ON HOLD DUE TO PANDEMIC

A brief update on the arrangement the Town had pending with UNH to acquire the Whittemore Center’s used dasher boards, that had been slated to be replaced by the University this summer as part of a substantial retrofit of that facility. Based on current circumstances, UNH has put the project on hold. Although they may proceed with the refrigeration room segment of the work before next season if things clear up soon, Durham Rink Manager Bill Page has been notified the concrete slab and board work have been cancelled for now. No indication at this juncture what plans are for the long term future on those. Preferred Contractors is processing a refund check for the deposit made by the Town.
        Thanks for the update, whoop87. I grew up in Durham, where my best friend for several years lived next door to Whoop on Edgewood Road. He taught a lot of us local kids how to swim in the old outdoor pool. Whoop Snively was one of finest human beings that I have ever known.
        Last edited by Snively65; 04-11-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Happy Easter to you all...hey just read a blurb on Jeff Cox twitter that a 'McElhaney' was transferring. Since I don't subscribe to that newsletter I couldn't read the rest of it...is that our Nolan McElhaney?
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Happy Easter to you all...hey just read a blurb on Jeff Cox twitter that a 'McElhaney' was transferring. Since I don't subscribe to that newsletter I couldn't read the rest of it...is that our Nolan McElhaney?
            Yes, that would be "UNH D and Cushing alum" Nolan McElhaney. Basically hasn't played in 2 seasons so that's tough for him.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
              Yes, that would be "UNH D and Cushing alum" Nolan McElhaney. Basically hasn't played in 2 seasons so that's tough for him.
              He was a Freshman this season...well good luck to him hope he finds what works!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                He was a Freshman this season...well good luck to him hope he finds what works!
                My reference to two seasons was that he only played 7 games in his USHL season prior to his Frosh season at UNH, I assume due to injury. So he's had some tough luck since prep.

Comment

My reference to two seasons was that he only played 7 games in his USHL season prior to his Frosh season at UNH, I assume due to injury. So he's had some tough luck since prep.
                  Thanks for.that clarification...
                  That's what I figured you meant after I posted...I'm sorry to hear that hes had a tough go of it. Dang that makes 2 fresh we lost this past season (it happens).
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Where's he transferring to? Another D-1 school, or guaranteed playing time at the D-3 level?
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Here is an article in the Concord Monitor about Jason Krog (my last freebie behind their paywall).

https://www.concordmonitor.com/UNHIn...Award-33695130

Comment

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Krog is one of the top 5 college players that I have watched play. In control, always calculating and quick up to speed. He came in pretty highly rated but only had a middling freshmen year. Started to hear reports that he dove in to a conditioning program over that summer and wow, what a transformation come sophomore year. His Senior season, he was almost magical.

My in-person viewing is limited to the East, but have seen plenty of players from other parts come thru local rinks. Hard to fathom for those who never saw him in person, but after Paul Kariya, I would say a big drop to anyone else.

Paul Kariya

Krog
                        Martin St Louis
                        Jack Eichel
                        Brian Gionta

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                          Krog is one of the top 5 college players that I have watched play. In control, always calculating and quick up to speed. He came in pretty highly rated but only had a middling freshmen year. Started to hear reports that he dove in to a conditioning program over that summer and wow, what a transformation come sophomore year. His Senior season, he was almost magical.

My in-person viewing is limited to the East, but have seen plenty of players from other parts come thru local rinks. Hard to fathom for those who never saw him in person, but after Paul Kariya, I would say a big drop to anyone else.

Paul Kariya

Krog
                          Martin St Louis
                          Jack Eichel
                          Brian Gionta
                          Yup, hard for me to argue against those top five from HEA over the past 30 years, Whalers.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Here is an article in the Concord Monitor about Jason Krog (my last freebie behind their paywall).

https://www.concordmonitor.com/UNHIn...Award-33695130
                            "He was an unbelievable centerman. We had the puck all the time because he won the faceoff all the time. . . . That’s something that probably gets overlooked at this level."
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post

Paul Kariya

Krog
                              Martin St Louis
                              Jack Eichel
                              Brian Gionta
                              I would add Johnny gaudreau and tj oshie to this list - at least college players I’ve seen play in person of this wow caliper

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post

Paul Kariya

Krog
                                Martin St Louis
                                Jack Eichel
                                Brian Gionta
                                I've got several from the same list - all Eastern guys as well (in order, top to bottom):

Martin St. Louis
                                Paul Kariya
                                Joey Mullen
                                Chris Drury
                                Jason Krog

Hard for me to include Eichel instead of Drury, and ditto Gionta instead of Mullen
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X