No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    I've never been one for hysteria. The media seems to be confusing transmission rate with mortality. The reality is, 20,000 people in the US die from influenza every year (usually in the winter months). So why don't we just cancel every event from December - March (or play with no fans in attendance)? Why don't we quarantine people with influenza? Better yet, let's quarantine people with the common cold. People need to use some common sense. I know that's scarce in today's world. But when I grew up, if you were sick, you STAYED HOME. That means you DIDN'T GO TO WORK and infect others, and you didn't go to events where you are would be in close proximity to others who may catch what you have.

You can't legislate a perfect world, no matter how hard some try. What you CAN do is abide by the Golden Rule, which basically means to be CONSIDERATE of others. But the reason these "drastic" measures seemingly have to be taken is because we DON'T. Everyone has to "get theirs." Companies take away sick days (or penalize workers who use them), so what do people do? They go to work when they're sick. Because you're rewarded for "toughing it out." We need to get back to basic values. JMHO
    Thats a big plus one right there. The gawd awful media nowadays makes everything out to be a crisis. Chit it snows 2 inches and its the end of the phkn world to them.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
      Thats a big plus one right there. The gawd awful media nowadays makes everything out to be a crisis. Chit it snows 2 inches and its the end of the phkn world to them.
      If the MSM didn't have any bad news they'd have no news at all. MSM is lovin covid-19 and the market meltdown:/
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        If the MSM didn't have any bad news they'd have no news at all. MSM is lovin covid-19 and the market meltdown:/
        You got that right.... it’s pretty disgusting what they have done to the average joes 401k

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Well when you arent in the post season one tries to be as relevant as possible...😀
          Meh, no sweat everybody eventually has down cycles. My fellow mainuhs say we will be in the tank next year. You’ll be fine before long....what’s the general consensus on the new coach, Souza right?

Comment

You got that right.... it’s pretty disgusting what they have done to the average joes 401k
            Double down acs
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

The MSM, right! How dare they report what scientists are saying. We know its the US libs, because China and Italy also bought into it, and you kow much they follow the DNC and MSNBC, amirite?

But be my guest, and make your comparisons to the flu, when those pesky science guys continue playing with the exponential growth models unless we actually take some steps. You know, the models that predict up to 500,000 deaths unless we take the steps that China, Italy and South Korea took to contain the virus. Let's focus on the right issues, that the smart media like Fox tell us, like the threat posed by that immigrant carrivane of a hundred guys at the border, or the one person killed in SF by an illegal immigrant, or worse, MS-13. By all means, let's address that risk by spending 10 billion and panicking the public. But a public health risk where we're just seeing the tip of the iceburg, that could kill hundreds of thousands, let's complain about that risk being overplayed the media.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

You'd think folks would pick out the trend of where the hysteria-inducing stuff always seems to originate. Not once in awhile, and not from both sides. Every frickin' thing, every frickin' time. Everything is an "existential crisis", and the solutions always seem to be to give more power (and money) to the folks declaring the crisis. But God forbid you accurately refer to this latest situation as the "Wuhan Flu" , and it's more manufactured outrage from the usual quarters.

Brought to you by the folks whose latest solution(s) amount to electing either a life-long apologiist for communism, or someone who doesn't know where he is half the time, can't complete two fully cogent sentences in a row the other half of the time, and is being propped up by left-leaning special interest groups waiting to sneak into power while hidden in a Trojan Biden horse.

The Grumpy Old Men Network now returns you to your regular USCHO programming ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  The MSM, right! How dare they report what scientists are saying. We know its the US libs, because China and Italy also bought into it, and you kow much they follow the DNC and MSNBC, amirite?

But be my guest, and make your comparisons to the flu, when those pesky science guys continue playing with the exponential growth models unless we actually take some steps. You know, the models that predict up to 500,000 deaths unless we take the steps that China, Italy and South Korea took to contain the virus. Let's focus on the right issues, that the smart media like Fox tell us, like the threat posed by that immigrant carrivane of a hundred guys at the border, or the one person killed in SF by an illegal immigrant, or worse, MS-13. By all means, let's address that risk by spending 10 billion and panicking the public. But a public health risk where we're just seeing the tip of the iceburg, that could kill hundreds of thousands, let's complain about that risk being overplayed the media.
                  Lets see how it plays out before you get all excited. My guess is it will prove to be garden variety flu and all blow over in time and the vaccine will be added to the vaccine soup we are all supposed to get each fall. You apparently think its precursor to the end of civilization.

Comment

Lets see how it plays out before you get all excited.
                    I don't think you have cause and effect correct. If the corner of your house catches fire, do you also say "I don't think the whole house will burn down, so let's see what happens before we get all excited?"

And more than your "guess", can you fill me in what that's based on, so I can compare it to what scientists are sayng.

The first fact is that, at least in the initial stages, documented cases of COVID-19 seem to increase in exponential fashion. On the 23rd of January, China’s Hubei province, which contains the city of Wuhan, had 444 confirmed COVID-19 cases. A week later, by the 30th of January, it had 4,903 cases. Another week later, by the 6th of February, it had 22,112.

The same story is now playing out in other countries around the world. Italy had 62 identified cases of COVID-19 on the 22nd of February. It had 888 cases by the 29th of February, and 4,636 by the 6th of March.

Because the United States has been extremely sluggish in testing patients for the coronavirus, the official tally of 604 likely represents a fraction of the real case load. But even if we take this number at face value, it suggests that we should prepare to have up to 10 times as many cases a week from today, and up to 100 times as many cases two weeks from today.

The second fact is that this disease is deadlier than the flu, to which the honestly ill-informed and the wantonly irresponsible insist on comparing it. Early guesstimates, made before data were widely available, suggested that the fatality rate for the coronavirus might wind up being around 1 percent. If that guess proves true, the coronavirus is 10 times more deadly than the flu.

But there is reason to fear the fatality rate could be much higher. According to the World Health Organization, the current case fatality rate—a common measure of what portion of confirmed patients die from a particular disease—stands at 3.4 percent. This figure could be an overstatement, because mild cases of the disease are less likely to be diagnosed. Or it could be an understatement, because many patients have already been diagnosed with the virus but have not yet recovered (and may still die).

Meanwhile, the news from Italy, another country with a highly developed medical system, has so far been shockingly bad. In the affluent region of Lombardy, for example, there have been 7,375 confirmed cases of the virus as of Sunday. Of these patients, 622 had recovered, 366 had died, and the majority were still sick. Even under the highly implausible assumption that all of the still-sick make a full recovery, this would suggest a case fatality rate of 5 percent—significantly higher, not lower, than in China.

The third fact is that so far only one measure has been effective against the coronavirus: extreme social distancing.

Before China canceled all public gatherings, asked most citizens to self-quarantine, and sealed off the most heavily affected region, the virus was spreading in exponential fashion. Once the government imposed social distancing, the number of new cases leveled off; now, at least according to official statistics, every day brings news of more existing patients who are healed than of patients who are newly infected.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-10-2020, 02:07 PM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

But be my guest, and make your comparisons to the flu, when those pesky science guys continue playing with the exponential growth models unless we actually take some steps. You know, the models that predict up to 500,000 deaths unless we take the steps that China, Italy and South Korea took to contain the virus.
                      I don't remember the MSM driving the same panic-stricken narrative with the Ebola virus, 'Watcher.

If we're going to talk about science … I also find it interesting how the MSM totally ignores what scientists have said about what other folks have casually described as a "clump of cells" and how said "clumps" are regularly proven to be viable well after certain procedures backed by the MSM continue to be undertaken. Rather than flesh that out, I'll say MSM is hardly devoted to science.

Say what you will about what's going on now, 'Watcher … but one thing that's hard to refute is that the MSM has gotten it all so wrong, so frequently these last 4 years … it's not our fault if we don't believe the "boy that cried wolf" over and over and over and over, and still seems to be picking sides. If they weren't so obviously trying to drive a narrative to attain a result, maybe they'd have more credibility when really important stuff crops up? But they haven't, so they don't ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I don't think you have cause and effect correct. If the corner of your house catches fire, do you also say "I don't think the whole house will burn down, so let's see what happens before we get all excited?"

And more than your "guess", can you fill me in what that's based on, so I can compare it to what scientists are sayng.
                        So we should shut down the economy and prequarintine the population just in case? Tell me what you think Watcher.... where do you think this is heading without pre qualifying your opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Say what you will about what's going on now, 'Watcher … but one thing that's hard to refute is that the MSM has gotten it all so wrong, so frequently these last 4 years … it's not our fault if we don't believe the "boy that cried wolf" over and over and over and over, and still seems to be picking sides. If they weren't so obviously trying to drive a narrative to attain a result, maybe they'd have more credibility when really important stuff crops up? But they haven't, so they don't ...
                          Well said

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I don't remember the MSM driving the same panic-stricken narrative with the Ebola virus, 'Watcher.
                            You mean other than the breathless non=-stop reportage of the first patient, Tom Duncan, and then the two nurses that treated him, and then the containment quarantining of the plane on which the nurse travelled.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/10/28/healt...ola/index.html

All of which successfully blocked the virus' transmission, so there was no need for further panic?
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-10-2020, 02:27 PM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

So we should shut down the economy and prequarintine the population just in case? Tell me what you think Watcher.... where do you think this is heading without pre qualifying your opinions
                              Well, I think you're probably pretty safe up there in Maine. But in the cities where there is more interaction, right now we have two issues. First, the exponential growth (which is underreported because the lack of tests means there is only a tiny group identified). Unless we shut those down and test eveyone in time, by the time they know they have it they have passed it to 3 to 5 others.

second, unlike the flu, the respiratory harm requires more hospital resources, and at the rates as projected, many people will not have the hospital space needed, so the death rate will be above the flu rate.

So, unless you want to have hundreds of thousands getting this, with a death rate, the only prudent thing to do is what all contries -- authoritarian (China), Democratic (South Korea) and right wing (Italy) -- have done which is to contain as much as possible. If we just let it run its natural course, there will be hundreds of thousands of deaths. That seems to be pretty well established, and the only way to limit the exponential curves is to lock down as much as possible. With a 14 day period, the short term benefit of limiting exposure is the best way to avoid the point.

Even if it causes harm of having fans not be able to attend a hockey game. Just think of it as a UNH home game.
                              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-10-2020, 03:53 PM.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Just think of it as a UNH BU home game.
                                fyp

Comment

Working...
                                X