No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

It’s not really sitting out a year of athletic competition - it’s a required year in residence at the student athlete’s new institution. So, based on my understanding of the rule Ward will be eligible 2021-22. No matter what happens this season, he’ll have been on campus (or at least enrolled) for a year when Fall 2021 rolls around...

I like Ward, he played a lot at DU but never really worked his way into the (deep) Pioneer too-six or PP units. He’s not super skilled, but he has the talent and scoring ability to play a top-six role at UNH and likely should. He’s not big but he skates hard, sticks his nose into the action, gets to hard areas and hounds the puck.

If you watch him play he certainly resembles a player like Angus Crookshank - with perhaps a little bit less of the natural/pure scoring ability/drive that Crookshank plays with and a bit more of a well-rounded game at the F position...
    Last edited by Dan; 05-07-2020, 02:35 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Dan, while i agree with what you have said I wonder if there is any validity to a comment a friend of mine share with me recently as we talked about the tranfer rule in football. He had heard of the NCAA pronouncement on the transfer rule but said he had heard that the member schools would be meeting soon to review it. He said that he had heard that they might overrule or somehow vote to allow it for this one year. Have you heard anything like this and is it posible?

Comment

UNH plans to open to students in Fall 2020:
        https://www.usnh.edu/sites/default/f...-2020-open.pdf
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          It's not really sitting out a year of athletic competition - it's a required year in residence at the student athlete's new institution. So, based on my understanding of the rule, Ward will be eligible 2021-22. No matter what happens this season, he'll have been on campus (or at least enrolled) for a year when Fall 2021 rolls around ...
          Thanks for the clarification, as that interpretation would certainly bode well for Tyler if he was at all concerned that a shortened or canceled 2020-21 season would push back his eligibility. You'll forgive me my initial concerns; I'm not accustomed to the NCAA giving due consideration to the 'student' part of student-athlete ...

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I like Ward, he played a lot at DU but never really worked his way into the (deep) Pioneer top-six or PP units. He's not super skilled, but he has the talent and scoring ability to play a top-six role at UNH and likely should. He's not big, but he skates hard, sticks his nose into the action, gets to hard areas, and hounds the puck. If you watch him play he certainly resembles a player like Angus Crookshank - with perhaps a little bit less of the natural/pure scoring ability/drive that Crookshank plays with, and a bit more of a well-rounded game at the F position.
          I'll take that in a heartbeat, 'tho a part of me cringes to be reminded that a Denver depth player projects to likely be a top-six forward at UNH. He'll have to earn a spot, for sure, but perhaps that's at least part of his motivation for leaving DU and recommitting, if you will, to the Wildcats after opting for the Pioneers his initial go 'round. If he feels he's plateaued at DU but can work his way to more responsibilities at UNH, then good for him; grit and lofty aspirations always get high praise in my book ...

Comment

Sophomore Tyler Ward 2019-20 DU Stats:
            10 Goals - 4th on team
            2 Game-winning Goals - T-3rd
            9 Assists - 9th
            19 Points - T-7th
            +12 - 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Sophomore Tyler Ward 2019-20 DU Stats:
              10 Goals - 4th on team
              2 Game-winning Goals - T-3rd
              9 Assists - 9th
              19 Points - T-7th
              +12 - 3rd
              Looking so forward to having Tyler join us...those points (and more...) will come in very, very handy. Worth the wait...
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  I cheated and looked it up.

By Jeflf Hatch
                  UNH students and faculty were
                  finally able to see their hockey
                  team play last Saturday in the
                  beautiful new Whoops Snively Arena.
                  Playing an aggressive hard
                  skating game the Blue sextet held
                  a slim lead until the final minutes
                  of the third period when a
                  deflected Norwich shot tied the
                  game 3-3. The Cadets went on to
                  win in overtime.

Page 11 has a picture of Bjorkman handing the puck to the player.
                  https://digital.unh.edu/fedora/objec...?download=true
                  Just in case anyone cannot open the monster file at watcher's link, the answer is Brad Houston.

Next trivia question: what number did Brad wear on his jersey (does not show in photo at at link)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Just in case anyone cannot open the monster file at watcher's link, the answer is Brad Houston.

Next trivia question: what number did Brad wear on his jersey (does not show in photo at at link)?
                    I do not like to reply to my own posts, but "ding, ding, ding, time's up."

Brad Houston wore no. 7 on his jersey.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                      Dan, while i agree with what you have said I wonder if there is any validity to a comment a friend of mine share with me recently as we talked about the tranfer rule in football. He had heard of the NCAA pronouncement on the transfer rule but said he had heard that the member schools would be meeting soon to review it. He said that he had heard that they might overrule or somehow vote to allow it for this one year. Have you heard anything like this and is it posible?
                      Nothing would surprise me - but I’d tend to doubt that member schools could simply override blanket transfer rules at this stage. Unless something is happening behind the scenes (and maybe it is) where schools are pressuring the NCAA to hold its vote after all and without delay, then I’d guess the decision is punted for now...

I do think you could see some potential changes with leagues or divisions that have ‘additional’ transfer legislation. For example, SEC softball allows athletes to transfer out the SEC without penalty - per NCAA transfer rules for the sport - but requires a year in residence if an athlete transfers within the league. In this case I’d see how the SEC could vote to drop the extra stipulation if they chose to do so...

Perhaps there are rules of that sort surrounding FCS football (The CAA) that I’m not aware of? Assuming you’re talking about a UNH Football connection?

When it comes to hockey - it’s a blanket NCAA rule regarding the year in residence, so unless something unforeseen and abrupt happens I’d think Ward will sit the season...
                      Last edited by Dan; 05-14-2020, 04:31 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        I do not like to reply to my own posts, but "ding, ding, ding, time's up."

Brad Houston wore no. 7 on his jersey.

And then there was .... John Conroy .......

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                          And then there was .... John Conroy .......
                          If memory serves, a very humble man with a great singing voice

Comment

Guess there are advantages to the big sheet....

https://www.fosters.com/news/2020051...ttemore-center
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                              Guess there are advantages to the big sheet....

https://www.fosters.com/news/2020051...ttemore-center
                              Thanks for sharing this gem, Felgie.

I honestly don't know whether to laugh out loud or wail in genuine despair.

I'm assuming The Whitt got the nod over SNHU Arena and Thompson Arena on a cost-savings basis?

But with ride-sharing now verboten, I gravely fear a mortal impact on the State's carbon footprint.

The first rep who shows up wearing a vintage-style goalie's mask earns my vote for life.

Politicians sure know how to corner the market on manufactured drama, no doubt …

So many satirical possibilities … wish I had the interest … just so much foolishness ...
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

A senior we can all be proud of -- someone who chose to use his education for a longer-term goal:

Liam's plans after graduation are to continue playing hockey as well as get his Masters in Genetics. He is going to miss UNH and everything it has given him during his four years as a Wildcat.
                                His senior year was disappointing as he never hit the ceiling I thought he could have, but his floor was pretty high, and as stated, he did what a college athlete is supposed to do-- use the subsidized education to better his long-term non-athletic life.

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2020/5/...blackburn.aspx
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X