No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Thanks for found this Watcher, it probably would have been a couple of days before I dug t up. Great article that has to make all of us happy and proud. I remember being so excited about Liam's arrival at NH. While it is easy to say he never hit his ceiling (offensively) he sure did defensively. In my mind he was the best we had n the PK and was never afraid to go into the corners to dig one out. You never get the big aahs when Liam made really important stops or takeaways on defense because he was not a big hitter, but man could he out play anyone of any size when going for the puck. Just really great hands and stick work. Loved his attitude and play for his 4 years and will miss him all over the ice. Thanks Liam

Comment

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      Thanks for found this Watcher, it probably would have been a couple of days before I dug t up. Great article that has to make all of us happy and proud. I remember being so excited about Liam's arrival at NH. While it is easy to say he never hit his ceiling (offensively) he sure did defensively. In my mind he was the best we had n the PK and was never afraid to go into the corners to dig one out. You never get the big aahs when Liam made really important stops or takeaways on defense because he was not a big hitter, but man could he out play anyone of any size when going for the puck. Just really great hands and stick work. Loved his attitude and play for his 4 years and will miss him all over the ice. Thanks Liam
      Am glad this article got posted...when I read it I was very proud of Liam...especially in Ireland when Ralph Cox himself handed out the MVP for the game to him! He worked very hard on the ice, and obviously, off as well. Congrats to Liam and all the other Seniors who are 'graduating' today from UNH. I know he will have a bright future and wish them all well! I hope everyone out there is well and healthy....

Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-16-2020, 11:16 AM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Thanks for sharing this gem, Felgie.

I honestly don't know whether to laugh out loud or wail in genuine despair.

I'm assuming The Whitt got the nod over SNHU Arena and Thompson Arena on a cost-savings basis?

But with ride-sharing now verboten, I gravely fear a mortal impact on the State's carbon footprint.

The first rep who shows up wearing a vintage-style goalie's mask earns my vote for life.

Politicians sure know how to corner the market on manufactured drama, no doubt …

So many satirical possibilities … wish I had the interest … just so much foolishness ...
        aw come on Chuck...you know you want to....
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Season tix renewals in the mail today...said no changes to the rink will be made this season.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-16-2020, 11:26 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Thanks for sharing this gem, Felgie.

I honestly don't know whether to laugh out loud or wail in genuine despair.

I'm assuming The Whitt got the nod over SNHU Arena and Thompson Arena on a cost-savings basis?

But with ride-sharing now verboten, I gravely fear a mortal impact on the State's carbon footprint.

The first rep who shows up wearing a vintage-style goalie's mask earns my vote for life.

Politicians sure know how to corner the market on manufactured drama, no doubt …

So many satirical possibilities … wish I had the interest … just so much foolishness ...
            I doubt that there ever was much ride-sharing by NH House Representatives. Why do I say that? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              I doubt that there ever was much ride-sharing by NH House Representatives. Why do I say that? :-)
              I'd have to guess at some point, you were one of the lucky 400, or someone very close to you was.

It couldn't be that mileage reimbursements would have been halved (or less)? Or could it?!?

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the site selection, Snives. Why not Manch or Hanover instead?

I sense the greasy fingerprints of the "Madbury Mafia" are all over this one ...
              Last edited by Chuck Murray; 05-17-2020, 08:05 AM.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Season tix renewals in the mail today...said no changes to the rink will be made this season.
                Not even the refrigeration system?
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

aw come on Chuck...you know you want to....
                  True, I had a lot of different ideas lined up for completion or initiation. The Legislature decamping at The Whitt should have been a treasure trove laden with rich ironic veins to be mined for literally months to come. But TBH I'm just not feeling it. The world is so screwed up in panic mode and overreaction, HR … sorry, but I just can't "go there" without it being angry instead of (semi)comical.

We live in a very different world from the one many of us grew up in. And that's not a good thing IMO. I've said on here before, we have become so soft as a people. As timely evidence, I offer the following article from yesterday's New York Post:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-li...demic-of-1969/

Have to think several on here have similar memories of the last pandemic back in the late '60's ...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Not even the refrigeration system?
                    hmm that wasn't mentioned? BUT...there's gonna be a zoom call with 'key members' of the team and coaches...perhaps it will come up (maybe even HR will ask it! )
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...npm7Wc.twitter

Hockey East, once a holdout to settling ties in any matter, has reportedly proposed a 55-45 split of OT/shootout results, which might be the compromise necessary to get those who still believe in the mythical creature known as “a good tie” on board with the change.

I understand that giving the loser of a game so much, and the winner so little, is unsettling to many, but college hockey is at a point where its overtime structure has become so confusing to fans and current and future players that something needs to be done.
                      A good support for dropping the 5 minute 5X5 overtime, and going right to 3 x 3. I've always been a proponent of moving away from clogging the ice, and toward skill and excitement, so 3 X 3 or if need be, 4X4 is something I want to see promoted. Who knows, maybe fans will like it so much we'll see a radical change in the game, recognizing that players are so fast nowadays and so big, that 5X5 is a more random game promoting coaching schemes ahead of skill. Heck, maybe if the NCAA leads by moving to 4 X 4, and paring the rosters down to 15 players in the name of saving money (scholarships)... nah, that's a step too far, too soon.
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-17-2020, 02:29 PM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        As to the old-school "let's not change anything" crowd:

In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true. ... Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.”
                        ― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism
                        We may well be looking at things from different starting points using different plug-ins for different roles, 'Watcher - or perhaps not? - but I don't find much (if anything) to disagree with in your quoted passage. The elevation of bogus narratives over truths should concern all of us.

Personally, I'm relegated to enjoying small little victories as often as possible … watching some live Bundesliga yesterday, some NASCAR and live golf later on today/tonight, and just having gotten a day's head start on the outside re-opening of my favorite ribs shack a few towns over, all seem to be signaling that good things are returning. I'll just leave things right there with a .

Comment

Was this an e-mail announcement? I hadn't heard anything about next season.
                          UNH

Comment

Thanks Scott, i was wondering the same. Also REf how did you learn of a coaches call?
                            I have seen that a couple other HE teams are doing that on a semi-regular basis. With regards to the state legislature using the Whitt. Under most circumstances i would think, who cares. However, with the ice size work on hold because of the covid situation, I would imagine that the refrigeration unit still needs to be upgraded. Doesn't bode well for a fall startup if the legislature uses it all summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              Was this an e-mail announcement? I hadn't heard anything about next season.
                              Season ticket renewal letter came in the mail yesterday...it gave prices, news, the usual. I would imagine the rest of you would have them? Most likely in tomorrow's mail? The 'zoom' info was in there. No word about when the season would start just the usual rah rah you'd expect. Surprised no one here got that letter...weird.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                Thanks Scott, i was wondering the same. Also REf how did you learn of a coaches call?
                                I have seen that a couple other HE teams are doing that on a semi-regular basis. With regards to the state legislature using the Whitt. Under most circumstances i would think, who cares. However, with the ice size work on hold because of the covid situation, I would imagine that the refrigeration unit still needs to be upgraded. Doesn't bode well for a fall startup if the legislature uses it all summer.
                                Normally UNH holds summer school and ice hockey camps so with the virus etc...guess that's all not going to happen. ATW as mentioned, all of that info (the team zoom meeting) was in there. They had an 'end of the season' zoom call with the entire team too that I missed this one will be a few players/coaches. Anything more I hear about I'll pass that along but I suspect you'll be getting your letter shortly... Still think they need to do that work of course (fix the refrideration... not the legislature )
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-17-2020, 04:07 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X