Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 NCAA Championship Thread

Originally posted by golightning77 View Post
    That’s the coaches polll,,, pairwise is what they are committed to for the at large bids,,,, this is the second year they have done it this way,,,,, pretty much takes all the fun out of the mon morning selection show cause you already know who is in,,,, kind of liked the old way
    You do?

I greatly prefer a more objective system, and I'd like to see the entire field selected on that basis.

(BTW, Adrian would have been a shoo-in a couple of weeks ago, and very justifiably so. Adrian fans wouldn't have had to worry about the v. SNC tourney final one iota.)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-09-2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      You do?

I greatly prefer a more objective system, and I'd like to see the entire field was selected on that basis.

(BTW, Adrian would have been a shoo-in a couple of weeks ago, and very justifiably so.)
      I mean do I like a team that wins conference tourney who is ranked 40 getting in? No!!!!! But it is part of the structure ,,,, I do like a human element to say,,, yes Adrian has 5 losses ,, two of them to #1 Utica in OT,,, other than strictly numbers .... Trust me we were hoping Utica won every game going forward ( and they did) ,,, every time they won our PE ranking went up,,,, Course last year o could have used them to Finish that second game w a tie to Manhattansville ,,, but I digress

Comment

Doh! You're right. My bad. Thanks!

Comment

I mean do I like a team that wins conference tourney who is ranked 40 getting in? No!!!!! But it is part of the structure ,,,, I do like a human element to say,,, yes Adrian has 5 losses ,, two of them to #1 Utica in OT,,, other than strictly numbers .... Trust me we were hoping Utica won every game going forward ( and they did) ,,, every time they won our PE ranking went up,,,, Course last year o could have used them to Finish that second game w a tie to Manhattansville ,,, but I digress
          That was a case in point. M'ville was like #23 in the PW, yet ousted Utica (Adrian, too? Don't know) on the basis of a single "mini-game".

Seriously dumb.

We're looking at #22, #34 and #40 PW teams just taking up space in the tournament this year. If you're going to bother do this, do it right.

Russ and Prof will hope to bury this post, but facts is facts.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-09-2020, 10:24 PM.

Comment

You do?

I greatly prefer a more objective system, and I'd like to see the entire field selected on that basis.

(BTW, Adrian would have been a shoo-in a couple of weeks ago, and very justifiably so. Adrian fans wouldn't have had to worry about the v. SNC tourney final one iota.)
            This is something interesting when seeing who really got screwed in the rankings ,,, Looking at it , Trinity for sure did is what I was thinking,, they start their year 2 weeks later then most, meaning about 4 less games then everyone else,,, not to mention the fact they beat # 40 Plymouth State 9-2,,, So all this part of the pairwise deal ,, it’s just something we have to live w,,,, but according to the Trinity website they won 19 games,,, on pairwise it says 18,,, this might be enough to put Trinity over Babson ,,,, can anyone verify if their website was accurate or if there is an error,,, pairwise works great as long as the data is accurate!

Comment

NESCAC plays 24 regular season games. Other conferences play 25. The “missing” win was against a DII school so it doesn’t count for pwr

Comment

This is something interesting when seeing who really got screwed in the rankings ,,, Looking at it , Trinity for sure did is what I was thinking,, they start their year 2 weeks later then most, meaning about 4 less games then everyone else,,, not to mention the fact they beat # 40 Plymouth State 9-2,,, So all this part of the pairwise deal ,, it’s just something we have to live w,,,, but according to the Trinity website they won 19 games,,, on pairwise it says 18,,, this might be enough to put Trinity over Babson ,,,, can anyone verify if their website was accurate or if there is an error,,, pairwise works great as long as the data is accurate!
                One of Trinity's wins was over St Anselm which is a Div II team that does not figure into the PWR. Norwich also shows one less win in the PWR because of a win over Div II Assumption.

Comment

• Originally posted by Norwich59 View Post
                  One of Trinity's wins was over St Anselm which is a Div II team that does not figure into the PWR. Norwich also shows one less win in the PWR because of a win over Div II Assumption.
                  Thanks,, yup ,, that would do it ,,, I honestly didn’t know there was a D2,,, which evidently isn’t as good as D3

Comment

Adrian was the fastest/deepest opposing team we've seen all year.

Not trying to stage a love-fest here, but beware the Bulldogs.

I would not be at all surprised if they won the hardware.
                    They have a knack of self destructing.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      They have a knack of self destructing.
                      Followed by more self destruction in front of the opposition bench
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Thanks,, yup ,, that would do it ,,, I honestly didn’t know there was a D2,,, which evidently isn’t as good as D3
                        The good D2 schools play up to D1, which they are allowed to do because there is no D2 championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          That was a case in point. M'ville was like #23 in the PW, yet ousted Utica (Adrian, too? Don't know) on the basis of a single "mini-game".

Seriously dumb.

We're looking at #22, #34 and #40 PW teams just taking up space in the tournament this year. If you're going to bother do this, do it right.

Russ and Prof will hope to bury this post, but facts is facts.
                          I'll bump this, so it's somewhat less ignore-able.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            You haven't answered my question about the electoral college yet. The teams that aren't in had the opportunity to get in, but they didn't. That's all that happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              Followed by more self destruction in front of the opposition bench
                              Im hoping that’s past years,,, this years team is more skilled ,, not as big,,, games against Utica were relatively clean,,, 3 games against Norbert and I don’t remember much back and forth at all. I hope that’s how it plays out for the rest of year.. It’s a different feel

Comment

By your logic, let’s hold the NCAA tournament, but give the trophy to the team with the highest PW ranking at the end of the tournament.

This is a tournament of champions, win your conference autobid and get in, otherwise consider yourself lucky to have gotten a second chance.
                                Oswego State '00
                                SUNYAC Champs 80, 81, 82, 84, 89, 91, 03
                                1987 + 2003 NCAA Runners-up

Clarkson Hockey
                                ECACHL Champs 1966, 1991, 1993, 1999
                                1962, 1966, 1970 NCAA Runners-up

Comment

Working...
                                X