X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 NCAA Championship Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    This may change your travel plans

The Erie County Department of Health has banned spectators from LECOM-HarborCenter in Buffalo for the NY high school hockey championships. That arena is the site of @Atlantic_Hockey’s final four March 20 and 21.
    So this could very well be the answer to our question. Unfortunate if this sticks for the D3 FF, but I totally understand. Hope they'll still play, I'd watch online. Glad I didn't make any definite plans to go.
    Utica Pioneers Hockey
    2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
    2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
    2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
    2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

This may change your travel plans

The Erie County Department of Health has banned spectators from LECOM-HarborCenter in Buffalo for the NY high school hockey championships. That arena is the site of @Atlantic_Hockey’s final four March 20 and 21.
      Actually it's the NYSPHSAA doing the banning at the recommendation of the Erie Co DOH.
      I'd be surprised if the (greedy) NCAA would take the same course of action, but we will see, still 2.5 weeks to go.
      Atlantic Hockey championship is there next weekend.

UPDATE: Color me surprised. Guess I have a number of ticket refunds forthcoming.
      Last edited by jcase; 03-11-2020, 04:00 PM. Reason: added update

Comment

I think it's official, unless there is a carve out for hockey

The NCAA will conduct upcoming championship events, including Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only “essential staff and limited family attendance.”
        #OneKnight

Comment

Full statement:
          https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ce-ncaa-events

"The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel. Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance. While I understand how disappointing this is for all fans of our sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States. This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes. We recognize the opportunity to compete in an NCAA national championship is an experience of a lifetime for the students and their families. Today, we will move forward and conduct championships consistent with the current information and will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed."

Does this apply to campus sites too?
          #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
            I think it's official, unless there is a carve out for hockey
            The NCAA will conduct upcoming championship events, including Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only “essential staff and limited family attendance.”
            I wonder if they'll make an official decision on hockey before the first round or what. Chances of no spectators seems to keep going up minute by minute.
            Utica Pioneers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
              I wonder if they'll make an official decision on hockey before the first round or what. Chances of no spectators seems to keep going up minute by minute.
              Unless I'm reading it wrong this statement covers hockey too
              #OneKnight

Comment

Yeah seems like it, I posted just after you posted that article lol.
                Utica Pioneers Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
                  Yeah seems like it, I posted just after you posted that article lol.
                  Yup ... all NCAA Events

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Confirmed on the Women's side... limited attendance to the Adrian/Elmira Women's Quarterfinal. Not open to the public.

Welp, maybe it's about time we all dust-off those AOL or Yahoo! Instant Messager accounts and have us a good ol' fashioned chat room during the post season events!!

(Yeah, I'm old...)

Cheers!!! (...but we drink alone this time...)
                    ~TTF
                    Dave
                    RIT - '90

Comment

D1 Frozen Four to be played with no fans - I imagine that applies for Buffalo. Given the closing of in person classes for all SUNY schools, I wonder how this affects Genny. It is unclear about current season
                      sports , but it sounds like spring sports are toast.
                      Last edited by LakerEagleLover; 03-11-2020, 05:22 PM.
                      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                        D1 Frozen Four to be played with no fans - I imagine that applies for Buffalo. Given the closing of in person classes for all SUNY schools, I wonder how this affects Genny. It is unclear about current season
                        sports , but it sounds like spring sports are toast.
                        All NCAA playoff games. All.

Brockport just announced their Sweet 16 BB game against Tufts will be with no fans. Geneseo and Utica I'm sure will be announcing the same, soon. They didn't need to rush into it since their games are not this weekend.

BTW, the Ivy League cancelled their entire Spring sports slate.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

because people don't s%!t on the streets of wyoming?
                          OK. Brilliant remark.

And I guess that you can back that up in some way. (Are there even streets in that back-assward State?)
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-11-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                            We have a winner!!!!!
                            And The Orange Clown sh*its in a gold-plated toilet, while doing nothing to slow the pandemic.

I'm sure he's got your vote again, though.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-11-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              And The Orange Clown sh*its in a gold-plated toilet, while doing nothing to slow the pandemic...
                              I can't stop it either, but I can control what I can by exercising proper prophylaxis.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Lot of rumors that the NCAA might just scrap all tournaments/championships, have to wait and see but not looking too good. Also looking like the NHL is going to suspend their season too, quote from league: "Given the uncertainty regarding next steps regarding the coronavirus, Clubs are advised not to conduct morning skates, practices or team meetings today." Quite a whirlwind in the last 12 hours or so.
                                Utica Pioneers Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X