Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 NCAA Championship Thread

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Word on the street is there were still 3,500+ at the Utica game tonight jk is it October yet?
    Man, I can grasp the notion of avoiding large crowds, but this might have finally been Utica's year.

I was hoping for the empty-arena option, but better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      It was posted with the link on the main thread concerning this topic. That thread moves too quickly to go back and dig it up. Not trying to dodge. Just too darn lazy.
      Ok
      The Titanic only had one Captain..........
      "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
      "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
      9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Understand I am not say throw caution to the wind here. Put everyone in Michigan's 100,000 seat stadium and let the chips fall where they may. however all of this has become a HUGE over reaction, when simple things when followed. will prevent most people from catching anything. As has been said 1,000,000 times wash your hands. If you are sick then either stay home or if you need medical attention go get it but proceed with caution and follow the instructions of the hospital you go to. But buying up all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer, et al, just show the level of pointless panic the media has created in this country. I am fine with sports being shut down for a while. But as I say the pointless panic needs to stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
          Understand I am not say throw caution to the wind here. Put everyone in Michigan's 100,000 seat stadium and let the chips fall where they may. however all of this has become a HUGE over reaction, when simple things when followed. will prevent most people from catching anything. As has been said 1,000,000 times wash your hands. If you are sick then either stay home or if you need medical attention go get it but proceed with caution and follow the instructions of the hospital you go to. But buying up all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer, et al, just show the level of pointless panic the media has created in this country. I am fine with sports being shut down for a while. But as I say the pointless panic needs to stop.

The last part I will agree 110%. My parents are in Louisiana right now. Can not buy milk, not even the cheap powdered crap. Meat is gone and my uncle who works for the LA State Police was told to prepare for stores to be closing in the next two days there. I did venture out yesterday as my kids (3 of them) will now be home for a month. Cant even get a loaf of white bread a 4 stores (they will learn to like whole grain now). As someone said, this isn't a nuclear cloud. Manufacturers will go on. There was no need to buy YO and baby formula by the case loads. While some of it is the media (I agree to an extent) I put the majority on society today. Our local school district is one of the few across NYS who has yet to close. Why? Because too many people are worried where their kids will get food and or who will watch them. Here's a thought, start being a parent? Instead of buying your pack of smokes or 6-pack of Budweiser, buy peanut butter and jelly?? Have the hundreds of high school age kids bored out of their minds now watch little Johnny? I do however hope NYS (and the Fed govt) step up and help those with special needs, and I dont mean little Suzzie so mom can go hang out with her friends.

Does the US have good healthcare? Materials Sure, just dont get me started on the cost. But if you let this thing run rampant, not even the best HC system will be able to keep up. This isnt about so much what IS happening, its more to do with what WOULD happen. People dying at the rate they are in Italy (Europe in general) is not "fake news". The point is if taking these steps (closures) can limit and or at least slow that same rate here (because it's going to happen) I dont see what any fuss is over?
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
            Before the crisis started I had already stocking up for this years hurricane season. I even have can goods that remain from Hurricane Irma in which my wife and I have an ongoing debate, she claims she wouldn’t eat any of the canned goods , even if starving,, My position is if you are starving you WILL eat them even if totally disgusting! I don’t have any sanitizer on hand (germX)as I’m not totally sure of it’s effectiveness,,, I’ll take good old soap and hot water every day of the week. That said,, I picked up take out food Fri night ,, we ate out yesterday,, plan on getting pizza for lunch today and start on St Patty food Monday and Tuesday . $4 Guinness will make you forget your troubles for a few hours! We will get through this together

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
              I wasn't suggesting you were saying otherwise (and I definitely agree with you on the lunacy of people's behavior -- but quite frankly that's not the media's fault; it's the idiocy of human beings). It was the point you made that we are prepared for this from a medical resource standpoint and thus we would not run into the problems Italy ran into. That part I don't believe hearing from people within the medical field. The Federal government's reaction to this is has been woeful, especially compared to other crisis and disasters. The States have been left to fend for themselves. It will work out for some, not for others.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I work in the medical industry, things are not as dire as you say they are. You need to stop watching CNN, please Russell. 97% of what you say here I like and agree with but you are simply adding to the media driven panic train.
                I don't watch CNN. Or MSNBC. For this stuff, I've been mainly getting my information from people actually in this business.

Okay, so you are in the medical industry. Okay then, tell me how many ventilators do we have in the entire country? How many are typically available at a moment's notice (i.e., not being currently used by patients with other ailments). How many are expected to be needed based on the projected COVID-19 cases needing ventilators?

I'm willing to change my tune if I get better factual information.
                Since you never answered my question, I'll help you out:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...pital-beds-icu

From the WHO: The number of beds per 1,000 population in Italy is 3.4 (as of 2012), 80% of which is dedicated to acute care (EU average is 69%).

From Peterson-KDF: The number of beds per 1,000 population in U.S. is 2.8 (as of 2016).

So, I ask again, how are we going to be different than Wuhan, Tehran, or Italy? Most of the deaths in those locations were not caused by the virus, but the lack of being able to get proper care. How is that different from the potential in the U.S.?
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Let me get personal and not political (if that is possible in this world)

Six years ago I was hit with a disease known as GPA - an autoimmune disorder that attacks capillaries and produces granulomas. The effect of this disease is attack kidneys, the respiratory system, eyes, and skin. I was treated with chemotherapy agents aimed at suppressing my immune system and steroid with the purpose of reducing inflammation. In the end, my disease is now in remission I am very fortunate to be healthy again except for the fact that I now have 38% kidney function. My life is pretty normal (I had to have sinus surgery, and cataract surgery), and fortunately my lungs were not affected. My immune system is now normal, and I am very fortunate, but this disease is pretty scary to me.

All that being said the behavior of people in response to this is incredibly stupid. Flooding the grocery stores and buying up toilet paper makes no sense - there is plenty of supply if people would buy in normal quantities. There is no reason except selfishness to put in a six month supply of TP because somebody else is. Use common sense. If you feel sick, stay away. For once think of others. The world is not all about you, and there just may be someone else who needs the extra containers of hand sanitizer that you just bought.

Slowing the spread of the disease may not reduce the number of people who get it, but it will spread the cases out, and prevent facilities from being overwhelmed.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Since you never answered my question, I'll help you out:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...pital-beds-icu

From the WHO: The number of beds per 1,000 population in Italy is 3.4 (as of 2012), 80% of which is dedicated to acute care (EU average is 69%).

From Peterson-KDF: The number of beds per 1,000 population in U.S. is 2.8 (as of 2016).

So, I ask again, how are we going to be different than Wuhan, Tehran, or Italy? Most of the deaths in those locations were not caused by the virus, but the lack of being able to get proper care. How is that different from the potential in the U.S.?
                    How many people in the US with COVID-19 require a bed? You have not stated that stat yet? Not nearly as many as you have suggested. Most people can stay at home, in their own beds. Only the elderly, with other health issues will need those 2.8 beds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Man, I can grasp the notion of avoiding large crowds, but this might have finally been Utica's year.

I was hoping for the empty-arena option, but better safe than sorry, I suppose.
                      Fish, agreed on this might have been the year but the cupboard is barely bare. This team is quite capable of making another deep run. Rumors about D1 forward transferring as well as a d-man, but again only rumors.

Comment

How many people in the US with COVID-19 require a bed? You have not stated that stat yet? Not nearly as many as you have suggested. Most people can stay at home, in their own beds. Only the elderly, with other health issues will need those 2.8 beds.
                        The answer to that question is nobody knows. If we don't keep the peak down, the number of cases requiring hospitalization will overwhelm the system. My understanding of the mathematics of the spread of a pandemic tells me that if the distribution of cases is spread out, instead of reaching a peak all at once, there will be less likelihood that we will overwhelm capacity. There is a very good chance that until the wave passes, a majority of people may contract this disease. Had we acted sooner that might not have been the case. Now, the goal is to reduce the rate at which the disease is transmitted. That is what these precautions are all about. Epidemiology is scary stuff.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                          Fish, agreed on this might have been the year but the cupboard is barely bare. This team is quite capable of making another deep run. Rumors about D1 forward transferring as well as a d-man, but again only rumors.
                          Yeah, this team should be fine going forward. Just disappointing to see this fine season end as it has.

Guess we have bigger fish to fry right now, though.

Comment

This thread...needs to self quarantine.
                            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

The 2015 NCAA game between RIT & Nebraska-Omaha is on ESPNU at 8:00 pm tonight. Hey, it is RIT'S fault.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                              X