Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

To get away from the coronavirus theme for a moment -

My recollection is that, for a number of years, overtime in ECAC playoff games has been conducted using the NHL playoff model. If regulation ends in a tie, they resurface the ice and then start a 20-minute overtime period. If somebody scores, they win; if not, and the first overtime ends in a tie, they resurface the ice again and start another 20-minute overtime.

I noticed that when the Princeton-Dartmouth game went to overtime last night, the USCHO scoreboard indicated that the overtime period would last only five minutes. Princeton scored and the game ended after less than four minutes of overtime play.

Has the ECAC changed its rules about overtime in playoff games? Or did the USCHO scoreboard operator absent-mindedly key up a 5-minute overtime the way it had been during the regular season, forgetting that the playoffs were supposed to be different?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

My recollection is that, for a number of years, overtime in ECAC playoff games has been conducted using the NHL playoff model. If regulation ends in a tie, they resurface the ice and then start a 20-minute overtime period. If somebody scores, they win; if not, and the first overtime ends in a tie, they resurface the ice again and start another 20-minute overtime.

I noticed that when the Princeton-Dartmouth game went to overtime last night, the USCHO scoreboard indicated that the overtime period would last only five minutes. Princeton scored and the game ended after less than four minutes of overtime play.

Has the ECAC changed its rules about overtime in playoff games? Or did the USCHO scoreboard operator absent-mindedly key up a 5-minute overtime the way it had been during the regular season, forgetting that the playoffs were supposed to be different?
      This would suggest the rules have not changed, and it is still 20 minute overtimes: https://***********/ecachockey/statu...21012992794626

Comment

Union wasted no time and up on Yale 1-0 Brown up on Colgate 1-0
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
          Norris has a conference call with the president and cabinet tonight. Very likely it gets cancelled. Best case scenario the ECAC can move it to the Times Union Center since their offices are located there and it's free next weekend.
          So our fans, including students can be exposed as long as it is off campus? Then again, at the TU Center they could invoke Doc's every three seat rule. They could probably have a row per fan rule.

P.S. Great 2nd half so far in the BB game.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
            So our fans, including students can be exposed as long as it is off campus? Then again, at the TU Center they could invoke Doc's every three seat rule. They could probably have a row per fan rule.

Tufts just finding it a bit too easy to score against our defense which has been tough all year (ranked about third nationally in Division III)

Comment

Colgate now over Brown 2-1 and Princeton over DC 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

I was flipping around, but I don't think they resurfaced the ice. I'll check.

Comment

Question - how would anyone know if and when they are exposed? With flu season at full tilt right now either at peak incidence or just past peak, with symptoms very similar to Corona, there is no way to know. Cannot see testing 330 million people for this. i would call what is being done selective epidemiology.

Comment

Late in the first Harvard score 2 quick ones and it is 2-0.

Comment

I was flipping around, but I don't think they resurfaced the ice. I'll check.
                      I was wrong. They did resurface and started a 20 minute OT.

Comment

BB down by 3 with 2 1/2 left.
                        Last edited by rpi82; 03-07-2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          Late in the first Harvard score 2 quick ones and it is 2-0.
                          Now 3-0 and Harvard still has 3 minutes left of a 5 min PP.
                          Looks like the Crimson are coming to town (wherever they play it)

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                            Now 3-0 and Harvard still has 3 minutes left of a 5 min PP.
                            Looks like the Crimson are coming to town (wherever they play it)
                            That boarding penalty on SLU late in the period for the 5 minute penalty was quite a hit and Harvard took advantage for that last goal and has time remaining as you mention

Comment

BB down by 3 with 2 1/2 left.
                              Should be over by now -boys had a great season and just ran into a better offensive club in the second round.

Comment

Princeton had been up as much as 3-0 but DC just scored and it is 3-1

Comment

Working...
                                X