Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Not hockey but thought you guys would appreciate my most recent medical release received - Doubt this is privileged in any way so will post it here.

March 11, 2020
    COVID-19 Incubation period, diagnostic utility of CT scans for COVID-19, and updated guidance from the CDC

By Denise Baez

NEW YORK -- March 11, 2020 -- The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation, with new information pouring in daily. What are some of the most recent discoveries and updates?

First, researchers have found that the incubation period for COVID-19 is approximately 5 days. Stephen A. Lauer, MS, PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, and colleagues pooled data of confirmed COVID-19 cases reported between January 4, 2020, and February 24, 2020 from 50 provinces, regions, and countries outside Wuhan, China. They analysed demographic characteristics and dates and times of possible exposure, symptom onset, fever onset, and hospitalisation.

Results, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, showed that the median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10,000 cases will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine.

Moving on to the diagnostic utility of CT scans in COVID-19, radiologists have found a low rate of misdiagnosis of COVID-19 (3.9%) with CT scans. Yan Li, MD, and Liming Xia, MD, Tongji Hospital, Wuhan, China, compared examined image reports of the first 51 patients diagnosed with COVID-19 infection confirmed by nucleic acid testing and 2 patients with adenovirus. When comparing the initial CT study with laboratory test results to identify patterns suggestive of viral infection, COVID-19 was misdiagnosed as a common infection at the initial CT study in 2 patients with underlying disease and COVID-19. Meanwhile, viral pneumonia was correctly diagnosed at the initial CT study in the remaining 49 patients with COVID-19 and in the 2 patients with adenovirus. The findings, published in the American Journal of Roentgenology, could help standardise imaging features and rules of transformation for rapid diagnosis.

Lastly, we look at interim guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for healthcare facilities caring for patients with known or suspected COVID-19. The CDC stated that all healthcare facilities should prioritize the use of N-95 respirators and other respiratory protection devices during high-risk procedures while still protecting healthcare personnel with facemasks and eye protection during other routine patient care activities in the setting of temporary respirator shortages. Based on local and regional situational analysis of personal protective equipment supplies, facemasks are an acceptable alternative when the supply chain of respirators cannot meet the demand.

Eye protection, gown, and gloves continue to be recommended. If there are shortages of gowns, they should be prioritized for aerosol-generating procedures, care activities where splashes and sprays are anticipated, and high-contact patient care activities that provide opportunities for transfer of pathogens to the hands and clothing of healthcare personnel.

In addition, patients with known or suspected COVID-19 should be cared for in a single-person room with the door closed. Airborne Infection Isolation Rooms (AIIRs) should be reserved for patients undergoing aerosol-generating procedures.

PS-I get these updates multiple times per day from tehe CDC and this one has some really recent information
    I got to read through this thread for your take because I'm expecting a more sober response. I get that the situation out there isnt great but the over reaction is frustrating me.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part III: Destination: Lake Placid (and Beyond)!!

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      I doubt she knew this specifically was coming, but given that some of the DIII basketball tourney games had been played without spectators and it had been suggested for some pro-level sports, it was kind of only a matter of time. It sucks that we had a whole day of "RPI banning spectators" before any more dominoes fell, but this was all somewhat inevitable.
      I'd concur with this. Shirley & Co. frequently deserve the pounding they receive, but this was not one of those cases. They were just ahead of the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        I got to read through this thread for your take because I'm expecting a more sober response. I get that the situation out there isnt great but the over reaction is frustrating me.
        I can fully understand most of the reaction (or over reaction), What i cannot abide is the panic stroking of some. There has been an incredible amount of misinformation propagated and i suppose at times like these, people without any understanding will believe anything that they see or hear. I would just rather had hoped that information released would at least wait and be sure it is accurate and informed. I had seen claims of incubation periods, attack rates, mortality rates based on misleading or false or numbers taken totally out of context. When we do not know something we should remember a quote from Shakespeare - better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool rather than speak out and remove all doubt. (or something to that effect).
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          I'd concur with this. Shirley & Co. frequently deserve the pounding they receive, but this was not one of those cases. They were just ahead of the curve.
          Thank you, rpi82. That’s all I was trying to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            Feel bad for you and Bobby abt Placid. You guys were going to tear up the town.
            Yeah unfortunately Bob wouldn’t have been able to make it regardless of Coronavirus or not. The rock star life calls. I would have still been there.
            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              Eh. It was still premature. Even when it happened I said that as the week progressed it was possible and even likely that it would become necessary, but that it didn't need to be done on Sunday.
              Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

First, spring break has been extended until March 20th. All Students who are living on campus have until that time to vacate their dorm and Greek houses. Classes will resume on the 23rd and for the remainder of the semester will be online.

Next, the players have a meeting at 8:00pm to inform them of what is happening. I would simply say that the season is over. Don't know it yet but that would be my thoughts given that campus has to be vacated by the 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI22Parent View Post
                  First, spring break has been extended until March 20th. All Students who are living on campus have until that time to vacate their dorm and Greek houses. Classes will resume on the 23rd and for the remainder of the semester will be online.

Next, the players have a meeting at 8:00pm to inform them of what is happening. I would simply say that the season is over. Don't know it yet but that would be my thoughts given that campus has to be vacated by the 20th.
                  from the old Life of Riley TV series (1950's for those too young) -"What a revolting development this is!"
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Would make it Cornell and Clarkson bye, Quinnipiac-Princeton, RPI-Colgate
                    Last edited by lugnut92; 03-11-2020, 07:29 PM. Reason: for actual embed
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

From your friendly rivals up North:

A message to students from President Tony Collins:
                      Spring Break begins this Friday. Before you leave campus, it is fundamental that you know we want you back healthy and ready to go on March 23 to continue making progress towards your degrees. We currently plan for your education to be in person on March 23, but we are ready for other high-quality scenarios like synchronous and asynchronous online courses that keep you on track towards degree completion. We might accelerate some classes, particularly lab classes.
                      With COVID-19 at the forefront of global news, it seems timely to remind everyone of the message we shared on your first weekend on campus as a Clarkson student: “BE SAFE AND LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER.”
                      This morning the Dean of Students sent a note out for any student with a serious chronic medical condition like heart disease, diabetes or lung disease to call the Health & Counseling Center, 315-268-6633 to set up an individual plan for how you should complete your semester, including finishing it from home. Please contact the Dean of Students office at 315-268-6620 with any questions or concerns.
                      If you travel internationally to specific geographies and domestic areas where there is a known outbreak, you must wait to return to campus until after 14 days and be symptom-free. We request anyone who is sick or believes they may have been in contact with someone who is sick to seek guidance from health providers and stay home. We anticipate that local health representatives will be diligent in this area of oversight when you return and we want you to be as well. Apply the Clarkson value of integrity to your decisions. We will work with each student who needs to isolate to ensure a path towards completing classes.
                      A great way to look out for yourself and each other is to follow the preventive steps the CDC says you can take to avoid being exposed to germs like COVID-19: i.e. wash your hands FREQUENTLY with soap and hot water for 20 seconds or more; cover coughs and sneezes, don’t touch your eyes and nose; and avoid sick people. IF YOU ARE SICK, wait to return to campus until you are cleared to return. Eliminate handshakes and other forms of personal contact when greeting others.
                      While there are no reported cases of COVID-19 in our community, as a precautionary measure, we are asking you to take with you any electronic devices/laptops, textbooks and other critical materials to be able to continue your coursework remotely if needed. If you need help shipping these home, the Student Center mailroom will ship them for you this week.
                      We acknowledge that some students may be required to remain on campus during spring break – especially those who are from the New Rochelle/Westchester County where a mass containment effort launched yesterday seven hours from here. Contact reslife@clarkson.edu if you need to make arrangements to stay in Potsdam. Meals will be available for all students who stay on campus.
                      If needed, when you return, the University will focus on learning approaches that transition into more social distancing. Such examples include:
                      Cancel, postpone or conduct virtually planned events where attendance will exceed 50 individuals.
                      Lecture classes of 50 or more will be delivered online.
                      External speaker or external groups on campus will be postponed.
                      Curtail community activities.
                      Travel will be curtailed and evaluated on a case by case basis
                      Guidance for athletic events and competitions will be forthcoming, based on policy coordination with the ECAC and Liberty League
                      Please visit http://www.clarkson.edu/coronavirus for updates as they occur.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI22Parent View Post

Wonder what the coach would say to that?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          From your friendly rivals up North:
                          isn't spending time in Potsdam already an experiment in social distancing?
                          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post

Would make it Cornell and Clarkson bye, Quinnipiac-Princeton, RPI-Colgate
                            This is exactly what will happen. Per a memo from ECAC .

Comment

• Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
                              This is exactly what will happen. Per a memo from ECAC .
                              Yes...it will indeed.

Comment

Colgate comes to Troy, per CHN.
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X